It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 4:36 pm

Team: Strawberry Pancakes
Main: swingarm
Level: 3168
Class: Speed Demon

Post Selling to colony vs Selling to slaves
I'm phrasing this as a suggestion because I think it applies to both C1 and C2, someone let me know if it's fixed in C2. If yes then this post is moot. Also this has probably been posted in the bug section or suggestion section already but I felt an urge to post this morning before breakfast so here you go.

As a Baser I'm constantly looking for ways to improve the efficiency of my colonies and one of the problems is that when I sell stuff it goes to both colonies and slaves without differentiation. That creates a problem when I just want to sell to slaves and not the colony. For example when I have a colony planet rich in baobabs I want to take advantage of it for the other planets but I can't because after I extract them and want to sell them, that often ends up being 2 prices, a really low price for the slaves and higher price for the colony. I usually have to compromise and raise e the price on the slaves which really cuts into my profit margin and efficiency. My suggestion is to have an option to sell either to just colonies, slaves, maybe just a players/ai option, combination of two of those three, or all of them.

I know this is a simple fix and no one wants to mess with it because some people think the economy is already to bad on here but it's a problem that can be taken care of and restrictions put on another part of the credits to compensate(although I have no idea what that would be).

Cookin'!!

Scooters!

World's Largest Mainline Operating Steam Locomotive

Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:43 am

Team: Resident Evil
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 4129
Class: Shield Monkey

Post Re: Selling to colony vs Selling to slaves
just set your baobs supply base trade bay to sell at the price the colony on that planet will buy at. for example 100. then set all your other colonies bays to buy for 100 and sell for 700 or whatever your selling baobs for. the money on the slave remains constant, and you get a decent price off the source colony still. (if the source colony has loads of baobs it wont pay a lot for them anyway).

however this extra functionality would always be welcome.

landswimmer wrote:
IN C1, TIMEWARP SCREWS YOU!

Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:35 am
Profile E-mail YIM WWW

sabre198 wrote:
just set your baobs supply base trade bay to sell at the price the colony on that planet will buy at. for example 100. then set all your other colonies bays to buy for 100 and sell for 700 or whatever your selling baobs for. the money on the slave remains constant, and you get a decent price off the source colony still. (if the source colony has loads of baobs it wont pay a lot for them anyway).

however this extra functionality would always be welcome.

That is the compromise I have used for many Uni's now but it's not really acceptable anymore because it's more of a work-around to something that can be easily fixed. I'll use the situation I have this Uni. I have a planet that has lots of Baobabs and is a colony planet. Now in SS you extract Baobabs for 0 dollars(or very low credits, I haven't tested this), the situation is I'm extracting from the very same colony I want to sell back to. In the real world I would be able to sell to the colony at one price and the slaves at another price but not in SS, I can set only one sell price. I'm extracting Baobabs and now I have to sell them, I would normally sell them for 1 to slaves but then the base would have to sell it for 1 back to the colony which means I make no money on the other hand if I set the sell price better suited for the colony which in this case is 65 then the colony is happy but not the slaves which serves other colonies which buy the Baobabs because I'm tacking an needless extra 64 credits so I can get profit off of the source colony. The 3rd option is to not have a colony on the source planet but that's not acceptable either, for me in this game it is to take advantage of everything in this game and to give up an excellent colony because it also has an excellent source of a commod just because I have to do one sell price to everyone for that commod seems not realistic or logical.

Cookin'!!

Scooters!

Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:18 pm

i agree, the problem comes when you try to use a base thats also a colony as a supply hub. You can't set its sell prices to be the standard 1 cred and I end up with pages of notes on all the ad-hoc pricing schemes i have to invent to not lose out on colonies being used as supply hubs.

Another thing which would be awesome and has been asked for for like a kazillion years is to order your slave to buy X amount, and not just full up or nothing. We can all but dream!

Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:47 pm
Profile E-mail YIM WWW

Main: Biggee
Level: 2163
Class: Engineer

How about integrating a commod price interface into the colony tab. So you can just set the buy and sell prices inside the colony tab, without having to worry about a trade bay. Seeing as you wouldn't need a trade bay to trade with inhabitants on the same planet as your base, it makes "sense" practically anyways.

Trade bay would be used for external buying and selling, colony interface would be for interactions between the colony and planet.

anilv wrote:
Try again when you have a doctorate in mathematics, grasshopper. I'll be pulling rank until then.

Bonecrusher wrote:
I'm a professional whiner.

Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:19 am
Profile E-mail YIM

The colony has the commod so it doesn't want to buy from you.
It doesn't have to.
So you make up the difference on things it doesn't have.
If it's paying 1c for the commod thats better than not buying at all, right?
I realize you want to make 700c on every sale. You can't.

An alternative is to restrict extraction and move all the commod to a base that
is not on a colony. Once you have a finite amount and the colony cannot buy
from you it will raise the price it is willing to pay. It will never max to the level
that a colony without that commod will pay but it will eventually pay more.
I have done this in the past and I know it works.
Yes, that requires a dedicated slave or 2. So what? It works.
Buy from 1 base and sell to a 2nd base on the same planet.

Best Regards,
toony

Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:04 am
Profile E-mail

Main: shawn - mccall
Level: 2411
Class: Fleet Commander

How about we give Take and Dump orders to go with the Buy and Sell orders. That way if you have construction privileges or better on any base your slaves can simply remove the commod for free(since the slave is a representative of yourself, and you can take free), and it would allow people to set prices for their colonies, and for selling to the slaves of others.

andezrhode wrote:
goett wrote:
All oly ships look way to geometrically conservative for my tastes.

thats because most graphic designers are squares :mrgreen:

goett wrote:
Fired bullets taste like candy.

Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:40 am
Profile E-mail

good idea shawn, and saves adding more junk to the base interface

landswimmer wrote:

Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:58 am
Profile E-mail YIM WWW

Team: Evo
Main: Savak
Level: 20
Class: None

shawn_mccall wrote:
How about we give Take and Dump orders to go with the Buy and Sell orders. That way if you have construction privileges or better on any base your slaves can simply remove the commod for free(since the slave is a representative of yourself, and you can take free), and it would allow people to set prices for their colonies, and for selling to the slaves of others.

Yay

Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:03 am

sabre198: Thanks and for your second thing that would be nice to for the slaves but what I've done with that is fill up my slave with a different commod, one that He's not going to deal in, to a certain point. For example I'm running some Helga slaves for Fixed Trobbles but I only want them to buy a certain amount for even distribution purposes so I filled them up with Microchips until they only had 25 space left. Microchips are ideal because they are so light weight.

biggee531: You is a smartified person. That suggestion would work for me.

toony: That would work for me,...almost. I know the colony already has the commod but I could still make money off of it. For example a planet with loads of Baobabs won't buy back at the same rate as a colony with no Baobabs, 65 vs 315. Now I know 65 is less but I've found out I can sell enough at that price to make it worth wile. The second base idea is good but it still excludes the planet/colony I'm extracting from.

shawn_mccall: I like that idea the only hitch is are we assuming that we are extracting planet resources for 0?

Cookin'!!

Scooters!

Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:03 am

Team: Eminence Front
Main: Radia
Level: 1101

Slaves should not have to buy if you own the base they dock at. They should simply be able to take the commods and drop them off.

No Context. Ever.
Idaten.

Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:48 am
Profile WWW

i think swing mentioned this, but was concerned that if a commod costs money to extract (eg storm crystals) then a slave that can just take will eventually run the base dry of money. I'm sure this wouldn't happen as if its a colony base its making money all the time and should cover expenses like that easily.

I still say Shawn's idea is golden here, and besides, the ugly c2 base gui can't afford any more clutter :P

landswimmer wrote:

Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:01 pm
Profile E-mail YIM WWW

Visorak: That's right and it would be simple to put in.

sabre198: Yes, if the commod costs to manufacture/buy/extract I have no problem using that as the slave price. But stuff like Nuke, Baobabs,...etc cost 0 to extract so it would be nice to use 0 or at the very least 1 on the slaves . Yes, Shawn and Biggee both had good ideas. I like both of them.

Cookin'!!

Scooters!

Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:45 pm

Team: None
Main: Pure Evil
Level: 2837

Anyone ever thought of "Transfer Slave Command" where the slave just transfers the goods over to the slave?

Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:07 am
Profile E-mail

Markoz wrote:
Anyone ever thought of "Transfer Slave Command" where the slave just transfers the goods over to the slave?

That would be nice, very similar to what shawn suggested.

Cookin'!!

Scooters!

Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:19 pm