It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 7:12 am

Site Admin / Dev Team

Team: Admins
Main: Jeff_L
Level: 1028
Class: Sniper

Post Proposed change in base/drone target selection
Someone pointed out to me a way that the base target selection can be manipulated pretty badly using pre-existing hate, so I've tweaked the functionality of it a little bit and am uploading to test for you guys to take a look at and let me know what you think.

Basically, the way base/drone target selection currently works is that it computes a score for every weapon/target possibility based on the damage the base can do to the target with a particular weapon (taking resists into account) times the total base/drone hate for that target + owners hate + 1, or score = possibleDamage * (totalHate + 1). This score is then also further modified by a half dozen other factors, but this is the main basis.

The potential problem is when the current personal hate between the owner of the base/drone has been built up so much that it can overly dominate the decision making. So on test I'm trying out a slightly different formula which is score = possibleDamage * (totalHate + currentShieldsOfBase). The idea being that if a base has 2 million shields or so, it will greatly dilute how much of a factor hate is in choosing targets and mostly go after who is most vulnerable, while drones and bases that are very low in health will tend to revert to the current formula which is more hate-based.

If you guys/gals can get a chance to try it out on test, please let me know what you think and if you think this change should go live.

Thanks.

Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:39 am
Profile WWW

Team: Memento Mori
Main: -T-
Level: 407
Class: Speed Demon

Post Re: Proposed change in base/drone target selection
I shall voice my opinion as soon as I have one. Sounds complicated, but I do somehow understand it.

And I googled "GAMES BETTER THAN RUNESCAPE"

Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:30 am
Profile E-mail
over 9000!

Team: Pax Romana
Main: Ghost Commander
Level: 1138
Class: Berserker

Current model: My base vs your base. Ada base vs Ada base. I'm in a little scoutship that you can't see, yet the base can. The base won't shoot me; it will shoot the other base.

Proposed model: My base vs your base. Ada base vs Ada base. I'm in a little scoutship that you can't see, yet the base can. Your base kills me if at 50% shields or greater, then kills the SD teammate of mine, then kill the zerker, AND then the base. If your base is at 50% or less, it shoots the other ada base, then the zerker teammate, then the SD, and finally me.

Something like that, but more gradual.

Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:50 am

How about just make a option when ya click on someone and hit x there is a option for primary target it fixes it all

Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:46 am
Profile E-mail

Team: Dark Traders
Main: enkelin
Level: 3002
Class: Speed Demon

Are bases ever going to be player-controllable?

(Bluenoser) Put your finger in your mouth and gag reflex should do the rest

Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:52 pm

Team: Kami
Main: Paladinofdoom
Level: 1993
Class: Engineer

anilv wrote:
Are bases ever going to be player-controllable?

Apparently not, if I am remembering one of Jeff's past posts correctly. Would make PvB impossible, since I could just set my bases to take out the ShMs first.

This guy gets my full Jiggle!

He is full of awesomesauce, and Jigglyness, buy from him!

Kanga

Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:53 pm

Team: Dark Traders
Main: Kyp
Level: 2610

Assuming i understand it correctly, a consequence of this change would be for shm's to get targeted first anyways since they always have WAY lower resists than zerkers. Which isnt necessarily a bad thing, but it is a dramatic change :-P unless the "half a dozen minor factors" which currently cause bases to shoot zerkers even when there is no hate still have the weight they apparently do now.

Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:10 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team

Team: Admins
Main: Jeff_L
Level: 1028
Class: Sniper

In C2, you can select your bases and drones and right-click on what you want them to attack. They still need a default targeting behavior for when there's no one there to direct them, though.

Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:34 pm
Profile WWW

JeffL wrote:
In C2, you can select your bases and drones and right-click on what you want them to attack. They still need a default targeting behavior for when there's no one there to direct them, though.

Wow, okay. That makes PvB impossible so long as someone's online, but.. meh. What do I care.

Thanks for the reply, Jeff.

Kanga

Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:50 pm
over 9000!

Team: Pax Romana
Main: Ghost Commander
Level: 1138

Zekk wrote:
a consequence of this change would be for shm's to get targeted first anyways since they always have WAY lower resists than zerkers.

You may have assumed wrong. The reduced hostility on monkeys would make them a less likely target to poke. The base would poke a more hostile and weaker target. A SD or seer is a perfect choice to poke first. Then the FC's and Gunners get poked, then the zerkers, engineers and snipers, then the lowly monkey.

Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:54 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team

Team: Eminence Front
Main: PhoenixSun2
Level: 1392
Class: Shield Monkey

Actually, Slaves and Bases (and possibly drones) will probably receive a nerf once C2 comes out because of the massive increase in control players will get in using them. They were made (very) OP because of their inherent stupidness, but if ppl are controlling them more finely, that will probably need to be brought down. It's something we'll have to experiment with, but just be ready for it.

Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:54 pm

Team: Heaven
Main: Kangaroo_blob
Level: 3102

pip8786 wrote:
Actually, Slaves and Bases (and possibly drones) will probably receive a nerf once C2 comes out because of the massive increase in control players will get in using them. They were made (very) OP because of their inherent stupidness, but if ppl are controlling them more finely, that will probably need to be brought down. It's something we'll have to experiment with, but just be ready for it.

You've got to also take into account the numbers of players alliances can bring to pvb situations (30+ that TW/RE/DM can muster) and what happens if a small team gets attacked when noone is online? It would make the gal a pushover.

Kanga

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:03 pm

pip8786 wrote:

What? Slaves and Drones won't be possible sources of damage if you nerf them more than a tiny bit. It is already easy to control the target your drones hit [tractor beams!] and the target of your slaves [attack my target].

Bases, sure. But slaves and drones... I don't think you'd need or want to nerf them. Slaves, especially, are weaker sources of DPS than say... drones, berserker, etc. I'm not including fighters or missiles in the above definition of 'slaves'.

How do you mean 'nerf'? As in, damage, or... inherited skills... or... what?

Kanga

Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:03 pm

Team: None
Main: Earthforce Commander
Level: 964
Class: Fleet Commander

I agree. Slaves and drones don't add that much damage to classes that aren't meant for slaves. This would fuck over FC and Engi pretty bad if they were to be nerfed.

Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:12 pm
Profile E-mail YIM

warfighter67 wrote:
I agree. Slaves and drones don't add that much damage to classes that aren't meant for slaves. This would fuck over FC and Engi pretty bad if they were to be nerfed.

ShM too.

Kanga

Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:41 pm