It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:14 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Team: Eminence Front
Main: __
Level: 2482
Class: Berserker

Post Re: Server patch October 26
I think the RC change was a good one...perhaps a bit too limited, but good, nonetheless. Maybe make the max RC level a multiplier, though, like 1.5x piloting level or something to not completely disallow slave swarms.

landswimmer wrote:
ALL HAIL CYG THE MESSIAH!

Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:27 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin / Dev Team

Team: Admins
Main: Jeff_L
Level: 1028
Class: Sniper

Remote control is perhaps the most powerful skill in the game -- probably contending with drone deployment. It doesn't make sense that you can get it for just a flat few skill points each, and it doesn't make sense that an extremely low level character can put together a massively powerful slave swarm if they have enough money. Requiring pilot 16 to get RC 16 and a large swarm does not seem like it's unreasonable.

Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:27 am
Profile WWW

Team: Strawberry Pancakes
Main: playerboy345
Level: 2035

JeffL wrote:
Remote control is perhaps the most powerful skill in the game -- probably contending with drone deployment. It doesn't make sense that you can get it for just a flat few skill points each, and it doesn't make sense that an extremely low level character can put together a massively powerful slave swarm if they have enough money. Requiring pilot 16 to get RC 16 and a large swarm does not seem like it's unreasonable.

the point is new players don't have enough money, long term players that want to powerlvl do, LET US FUCKING POWERLVL?

The Voomy One wrote:
Quote:
Runescape, Allows you to change your name every 30 days.

Runescape sucks so it doesnt count :P

Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:29 am
Profile E-mail

Team: UnderDawgs
Main: FFs V
Level: 3006
Class: Shield Monkey

RC is indeed a powerful skill, however, its powerful at lower levels, but at higher levels not many players uses slaves (im talking about combat slaves of course) simply because its a pain in the ass to take care of 2-3 slaves per char, say if you're in an oly squad and bring slaves, we're talking about 20-30 more ships to take care of.

The Voomy One wrote:
You gotta be shitting me >_<

Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:32 am
Profile E-mail

Main: yugioh
Level: 1854
Class: Fleet Commander

Jeff, please do us all a favor. Get on C2 test, with the new SP changes, and go level a char. No giving yourself money or admin gear, just play the game as an utter newbie would. See how far you manage to grind before you give up out of sheer boredom. I personally made it to level 55 before I gave up and went back to C1.

Getting chars to the endgame was always annoying, but now that it takes so many more levels to gain skills (and thus strength), it's absurdly hard to level properly in many cases. I, with over 6 years of playing experience, failed more often in a few hours of C2 playing than a day of soloing ubers on C1. While it's still possible, with plenty of prior knowledge, it's so mind-numbingly boring and frustrating that I can't imagine many people slogging through it to the endgame. You need to either undo this SP change or individually rebalance everything meant for people pre-endgame.

I know I'm not alone in thinking this, and if the endgame playerbase from C1 finds the early game to be too annoying to play, there's obviously a problem. Do you have any server statistics you'd be willing to share, the total combined playtime for the first two or three days versus, say, two or three days from last week? C2 became a ghosttown once people realized how unfun it was to play from the beginning.

It's not just difficulty, either. Difficulty people can deal with, it presents a challenge to keep them motivated. Much of what I saw as a lowbie in C2, however, was just annoying. AI love to swarm you in groups of 3 to 6, and a single one of those AI is usually a decent challenge to you at the time. When you get an AI nearly dead, he would run away, and you would be too slow to catch up to him, without proper tractors to hold him. Before you manage to finish off one enemy, two more will have appeared and joined in the fight. The list goes on and on, mostly problems that have existed for years, but are amplified by the harsh contrast between the power levels of a level 50 in C1 and in C2.

Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:38 am

Team: Strawberry Pancakes
Main: playerboy345
Level: 2035

yugioh124 wrote:
Jeff, please do us all a favor. Get on C2 test, with the new SP changes, and go level a char. No giving yourself money or admin gear, just play the game as an utter newbie would. See how far you manage to grind before you give up out of sheer boredom. I personally made it to level 55 before I gave up and went back to C1.

Getting chars to the endgame was always annoying, but now that it takes so many more levels to gain skills (and thus strength), it's absurdly hard to level properly in many cases. I, with over 6 years of playing experience, failed more often in a few hours of C2 playing than a day of soloing ubers on C1. While it's still possible, with plenty of prior knowledge, it's so mind-numbingly boring and frustrating that I can't imagine many people slogging through it to the endgame. You need to either undo this SP change or individually rebalance everything meant for people pre-endgame.

I know I'm not alone in thinking this, and if the endgame playerbase from C1 finds the early game to be too annoying to play, there's obviously a problem. Do you have any server statistics you'd be willing to share, the total combined playtime for the first two or three days versus, say, two or three days from last week? C2 became a ghosttown once people realized how unfun it was to play from the beginning.

It's not just difficulty, either. Difficulty people can deal with, it presents a challenge to keep them motivated. Much of what I saw as a lowbie in C2, however, was just annoying. AI love to swarm you in groups of 3 to 6, and a single one of those AI is usually a decent challenge to you at the time. When you get an AI nearly dead, he would run away, and you would be too slow to catch up to him, without proper tractors to hold him. Before you manage to finish off one enemy, two more will have appeared and joined in the fight. The list goes on and on, mostly problems that have existed for years, but are amplified by the harsh contrast between the power levels of a level 50 in C1 and in C2.

this^ I myself got to lvl 92 because I knew about copper (before the change that made anything except wingships useless in there) new players don't know about places like copper and protoplasmica.

The Voomy One wrote:
Quote:
Runescape, Allows you to change your name every 30 days.

Runescape sucks so it doesnt count :P

Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:50 am
Profile E-mail
Darth Administrator

Main: The Voomy One
Level: 1337
Class: Sniper

Quote:

I have done just that. My C2 char is at level 203 and I got there without using slaves or drones.

Quote:
and if the endgame playerbase from C1 finds the early game to be too annoying to play, there's obviously a problem.

No that really means nothing at all. The endgame playerbase has already played the game from the start many times, it's to be expected that they get bored fast and that they dont like it when things take time.
From a completely new players point of view all the changes we have made will result in a better playing experience.

Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:06 am

Team: None
Main: Pure Evil
Level: 2837

The Voomy One wrote:
I have done just that. My C2 char is at level 203 and I got there without using slaves or drones.

Invalid, completely void. Jeff was the question.

The Voomy One wrote:
No that really means nothing at all. The endgame playerbase has already played the game from the start many times, it's to be expected that they get bored fast and that they dont like it when things take time.
From a completely new players point of view all the changes we have made will result in a better playing experience.

Your a old player shouldn't this logic also apply to you?, Get Jeff on the matter or tell us he "himself" has played the beta cause this shows he hasn't at tall.

Yugioh124 pretty much pointed out the issues and reasons, I shouldn't have to repeat what he said.

We'll wait and see how ignoring the Playerbase helps you. I hope I'm wrong.

Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:49 am
Profile E-mail
Content Dev

Main: Blue Dwarf
Level: 61
Class: None

The money to piece together two Helga slaves or so isn't a lot at all.

At low level, AI base gear does fine, and at low level a slave which is a copy of you is 2x your DPS, for 3 or 6 extra SP. Another slave is 3x your DPS.

It's like bringing back the old Multifiring skill but making it cost 3SP per level for people without AT or class skills

Support

Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:09 am

Team: Death Mental
Main: goett
Level: 2157

after the rc change i was able to powerlevel almost at the same pace.
I have to agree, the new players will be the ones finding it annoying while the older ones can deal with a small speedbumps like this rc change.

Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:48 am
Profile E-mail

Team: TorchWood
Main: TheKC
Level: 5

lol i find it funny how the justification of the RC from blue dwarf came throuhg the "obviose brokeness".. man its always been that way. and from the point of a new played.. RC is not at all easy to get, and with the funds u got there.. making swarm slaves work that are more then just a clay pigeon.

so why dont you try to get back to the topic and plz explain us. how exactly that change helps new players lol .. challange wise.. content wise.. idc.. anyhow it should improve the gameplay but i just dont see how lol

Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:57 am

Main: __
Level: 2482

I've noticed a load of problems, but none of them directly related to SP costs ad whatnot. The game has loads of flaws and a fatal lack of content, but fix that and it will be a great experience for a lot of people.

landswimmer wrote:
ALL HAIL CYG THE MESSIAH!

Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:59 am
Profile E-mail

Team: Death Mental
Main: goett
Level: 2157

TheKC wrote:
lol i find it funny how the justification of the RC from blue dwarf came throuhg the "obviose brokeness".. man its always been that way. and from the point of a new played.. RC is not at all easy to get, and with the funds u got there.. making swarm slaves work that are more then just a clay pigeon.

so why dont you try to get back to the topic and plz explain us. how exactly that change helps new players lol .. challange wise.. content wise.. idc.. anyhow it should improve the gameplay but i just dont see how lol

lol, aye.

all the change really made me differ in my lvling strategy was get pilotng at around lvl 60 or so instead of lvl 100. since i know how to easily get to 60 it really was no issue at all. i got 4 alts to lvl 500 in about 3 days using slaves and an afk strategy (literally set a timer, came back, spammed some keys so i wouldn't logoff, and went back to something else.)

Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:01 am
Profile E-mail

Team: TorchWood
Main: TheKC
Level: 5

we old players.. we had our alts leveld.. we have the gear.. well find our way for new alts if necessary over and over lol.. by why narrow the leveling path for real new players.. i dont get that sorry.

I understand that u wanne keep them longer in mid tech lvl range with all force.. force used to narrow the options for a marginal effect.. i find that holariouse contraproductive

there 2 certain aspects that we like about the game.. and u either dont bother nor never tired to copy their potential over to the other aspects.
But i cant be arsed to do more then mentioning one.. augs.. meh pah idc lol
get a freacking economist to make a insentive analysis on SS and fix the shit all over.

Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:11 am
Content Dev

Main: Blue Dwarf
Level: 61

The main thing is, we increased SP costs for core skills, which meant making loads of slaves was really easy to do.

Personally I would have just increased DD and RC point costs in the same manner. But meh.

Support

Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:20 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next