It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:26 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Site Admin / Dev Team

Team: Admins
Main: Jeff_L
Level: 1028
Class: Sniper

Post Re: Official proposal on a change in the PvP system
Yes. We've done some of that in the Nexus revamp. There are now several missions there that give a whole level, rather than an amount of XP. I was also thinking of reducing the XP you get from killing guys in there, too, but not totally decided on that, yet.

Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:17 pm
Profile WWW

Team: Eminence Front
Main: DemonBlood
Level: 1761
Class: Shield Monkey

why not just, on death, deduct the cost of a tow and teleport the ship and spirit automatically?

it would mean killing a player would remove them from a battlefield, making it much more important in terms of galaxy sieges and PvP

the easiest way to make it function as intended without teleporting the wrong people is to make it only teleport when killed by another player

this would allow players to effectivelly fight over DGs and galaxies, with the individual fights actually having an impact on the outcome (rather than being inconsequential, thanks to a nice big ada base dropped by a SSphere that died 15 times in the last hour)

it would force attackers to lay their kits before being killed or face the trip back to their target

it would fix PvP AND PvB

as opposed to just fixing PvP...

as you said, simplicity is key

optional teleporting of ship and spirit for PvAI deaths

and compulsory teleporting of ship and spirit for PvP deaths

simple.

Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:47 pm
Profile E-mail

Jeff if the bounty was randomly assigned, chances are the person you kill wont be your friend

Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:51 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: Strawberry Pancakes
Main: shawn - mccall
Level: 2411
Class: Fleet Commander

JeffL wrote:
The issue with bounties is currently that a player can just hop into a zebucart and get his friend to kill him and collect the bounty. What I'm thinking is that after we add item damage, we can make the collected bounty from a kill be limited to some percent of the item damage caused by the kill. This way the person killed will lose more in item damage than his friend can collect on the bounty, so there will be no reason to game it that I can think of.

If it does item damage it would still work to do the same thing hop in a zebu with some cheap AI baase gear and have someone pop it, thus damaging the cheap AI base gear which doesn't matter anyway as you'll just hop back into your main ship.

andezrhode wrote:
goett wrote:
All oly ships look way to geometrically conservative for my tastes.

thats because most graphic designers are squares :mrgreen:

goett wrote:
Fired bullets taste like candy.

Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:59 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: Dark Traders
Main: enkelin
Level: 3002
Class: Speed Demon

shawn_mccall wrote:
JeffL wrote:
The issue with bounties is currently that a player can just hop into a zebucart and get his friend to kill him and collect the bounty. What I'm thinking is that after we add item damage, we can make the collected bounty from a kill be limited to some percent of the item damage caused by the kill. This way the person killed will lose more in item damage than his friend can collect on the bounty, so there will be no reason to game it that I can think of.

If it does item damage it would still work to do the same thing hop in a zebu with some cheap AI baase gear and have someone pop it, thus damaging the cheap AI base gear which doesn't matter anyway as you'll just hop back into your main ship.

That's a good point, and why I think the "item damage" incurred by death should be a general stat nerf (a curse) to your player that you pay to remove. Dying multiple times would compound the effect until you simply had to accept the tow.

(Bluenoser) Put your finger in your mouth and gag reflex should do the rest

Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:23 am
Site Admin / Dev Team

Team: Admins
Main: Jeff_L
Level: 1028
Class: Sniper

No. For example, someone puts 1b bounty on you. If you hop into a zebucart with only 10m worth of equipment and have your friend kill you, your equipment will lose maybe 10% of it's value (1m) and he will get up to half of that from your bounty (500k). You would then have 999,500,000 left on your bounty. You can keep doing that, but you'll never get more back in bounty than you'll lose in item damage which you had to pay for in the first place. If you're flying your real ship with 10b "cost" value of stuff on it and you get killed by someone, you'd suffer maybe 1b of item damage and the person who killed you could get up to 500m of your bounty. You could be killed twice in that ship before your bounty would be cleared off.

This system would prevent exploit as far as I can see, and also has the nice effect that if you kill someone in their travel ship, you don't get as much as if you kill them in their real ship. If we can figure out a way to add additional bounties onto people, like, whenever you kill someone outside of war you get a bounty put on you, or something, then that could make PvP start to get really interesting.

(10% cost in item damage artificially high in this example just for convenience.)

Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:08 am
Profile WWW

Team: Heaven
Main: Lemon
Level: 2187
Class: Engineer

How would you value gear which has stupid ai base prices and extremely high worth to players...

Teh Meo :)

Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:23 am

Main: shawn - mccall
Level: 2411

Do that, and I'll just use high valued gear that I don't use that sits around in my thatch to get rid of bounties... I probably have at least enough to last me a year of bounties.

andezrhode wrote:
goett wrote:
All oly ships look way to geometrically conservative for my tastes.

thats because most graphic designers are squares :mrgreen:

goett wrote:
Fired bullets taste like candy.

Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:25 am
Profile E-mail

Two good reasons why the damage inflicted by dying should be a negative stats tweak that you pay to remove, where the cost is a function of your level and maybe the tech of your gear.

Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:47 am

Main: Biggee
Level: 2163
Class: Engineer

So i could put a bounty of 100bil on someone, and essentially make them lose 100bil. What's in it for the people killing the person with the bounty, another 100bil?

anilv wrote:
Try again when you have a doctorate in mathematics, grasshopper. I'll be pulling rank until then.

Bonecrusher wrote:
I'm a professional whiner.

Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:12 am
Profile E-mail YIM

biggee531 wrote:
So i could put a bounty of 100bil on someone, and essentially make them lose 100bil. What's in it for the people killing the person with the bounty, another 100bil?

As I understand it, you would pay 100bil down and your target, which would be dispensed to people who killed them as it was being paid off. The reward for killing the target would be less than the cost of death for the target, or else it would be economical to arrange your own death.

As much as the current bounty system is abusable, this would hardly be a fix in my opinion. With some care, it could still be used as a death subsidy with your enemy picking up the tab.

Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:34 am

as i understand this, you could basically use, on a SD, a high-val wep, an undead*amp/ext/reso[for arguments sake] which would probably be worth sfa, same for the energy and radar, and capacitor..

Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:49 am
Profile E-mail
over 9000!

Team: Pax Romana
Main: Ghost Commander
Level: 1138
Class: Berserker

What about a bounty on a specific ship of the player you want dead?

Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:15 pm

Team: MAD+
Main: PieAvenger
Level: 142

Battlecruiser23 wrote:
What about a bounty on a specific ship of the player you want dead?

This would work, since to evade it you'd have to buy a new ship and augs. But if the bounty is high enough, that's probably what some people will do...

well, taken literally, their "jeans" should be tougher since they have to endure hard labour.trolls' advocate.

Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:22 pm

Team: None
Main: Jagur4
Level: 1459

JeffL wrote:
item damage

Sorry, I only vaguely remember talk of item damage. Could you go into that or link me to the relevant thread which I was unable to find?

Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:36 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next