It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:00 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
Site Admin / Dev Team

Team: Admins
Main: Jeff_L
Level: 1028
Class: Sniper

Post Prevent "corpse camping"?
What would you guys think if we implemented something like if person A kills you, they are prevented from attacking you for X hours (1? 12? 24?) or until you attack them or anyone on their team or heal anyone they have aggro against while person A is in the galaxy or unless your teams are in mutual war? The thought is to provide a hard-coded solution to "griefing" so we can stop having to try to make an admin enforced rule against it.

Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:41 pm
Profile WWW

Team: Matrix
Main: Asmodeaan
Level: 282
Class: Berserker

Post Re: Prevent "corpse camping"?
you have to press "R" to dock now. That's a good enough fix. anything else after that is the fault of the person.

Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:43 pm

Team: Strawberry Pancakes
Main: Trevor50
Level: 4503
Class: Shield Monkey

Now that you have to press a key to get into your ship, how is his needed? I don't find it possible to be killed more than once unless your cat climbs onto your keyboard and happens to press R...

But then again this will completely remove pirating, and that is what you guys want.

Stay strong, live long, and walk humbly.

Strawberry Blueberry Pancakes

Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:47 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: Strawberry Pancakes
Main: shawn - mccall
Level: 2411
Class: Fleet Commander

Piracy is fine the way it is, the only thing that needs to be changed is the fact that Wildspace Sanctuary is traversed by literally everyone going anywhere and all a pirate has to do is camp it. Really, when did that ever sound like a good idea? :P

andezrhode wrote:
goett wrote:
All oly ships look way to geometrically conservative for my tastes.

thats because most graphic designers are squares :mrgreen:

goett wrote:
Fired bullets taste like candy.

Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:59 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: Heaven
Main: Lemon
Level: 2187
Class: Engineer

An hour sounds fine to me, unless they retaliate on purpose.

Teh Meo :)

Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:02 am

Team: Dark Traders
Main: enkelin
Level: 3002
Class: Speed Demon

I guess it all depends what griefing is understood to be. It's never been made clear whether you are allowed to kill someone, hang around till they get back in, kill them once more, and then leave. If that sort of behavior is supposed to be discouraged, then you might want a hardcoded solution like the one proposed. I can also understand why you would want to put a stop to this, since being killed multiple times in a row tends to waste the time of the paying customer.

However, generic pirates don't usually behave this way since it's against the thrill-seeking drive to sit around doing nothing for 5 minutes after every 30-second kill, not to mention the fact that pirates who don't stay on the move tend to end up hunted down. Griefing of the kind you are trying to hardcode out is practiced by people with vendettas, often in the wars that get so personal in this game.

Perhaps I've just been lucky, but I can't remember the last time I was killed twice in quick succession by any one player.

EDIT: This might also tie in nicely with the expanded towing system that was discussed a little while ago.

(Bluenoser) Put your finger in your mouth and gag reflex should do the rest

Last edited by anilv on Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:09 am

Team: None
Main: Jagur4
Level: 1459

Normally I'd say something like this is too care-bear, since, as people have mentioned, you have to dock back in your ship now.

However, I think it's more important to have a hard-coded means of regulating griefing.

So, if this were in the neighborhood of 15-20 minutes, rather than hours, then I think it would work just fine. It allows people to escape in a ship rather than the slow speed of a pod+towing fees.

The concern with the long timer is that people will be able to die once, then go about their business in a hostile/pvp/aggro galaxy without fear of repercussions, and that's definitely a step too far.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:12 am

Team: M.A.D.
Main: Moltargobergoblarshi
Level: 164

An admin asking for our opinion?

Well are you sure there isn't a way to prevent some thing where if your killed a number a times within a number of hours both of you cant fire weapons on eachother?

Like say if i was killed 3 times within 1 hour and they wont be able to fire anything like a a weapon or a shield trans?

Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:12 am
Profile E-mail
over 9000!

Team: Pax Romana
Main: Ghost Commander
Level: 1138

Imo, this should not activate if (1)both parties are at war with each other, (2)aggressor is killed by the innocent, (3)in a gal owned by either party.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:24 am

Team: Resident Evil
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 4129
Class: Shield Monkey

trouble then is what to do about shms, shm gets killed can then heal for an hour without fear of dying from the attacker and can the heal up third partys come to seek revenge

landswimmer wrote:
IN C1, TIMEWARP SCREWS YOU!

Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:30 am
Profile E-mail YIM WWW
over 9000!

Team: Pax Romana
Main: Ghost Commander
Level: 1138

Need to be in pvp range of the thing you want to heal to heal it?

Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:33 am

Team: Heaven
Main: Lemon
Level: 2187
Class: Engineer

I feel like any shm healing someone makes them able to be attacked by the enemy.

Say P1 is fighting P2, P1 dies. SHM comes in, is out of pvp of P2. SHM heals P1, P2 can now PVP the SHM.

Teh Meo :)

Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:42 am

Team: Eminence Front
Main: Radia
Level: 1101

Between the R to re-enter ship change and the fact that you mentioned lowering tow costs, I see absolutely no reason for this.

However, if you must, it should not be more than 30minutes. Ideally it would be 5-10minutes. The way to avoid camping/griefing is not to be there anymore. It wouldn't take more than 5mins to run away.

No Context. Ever.
Idaten.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:51 am
Profile WWW

Team: Resident Evil
Main: Aku'Qa
Level: 2620

I could see this work for f2p, but definitely not for p2p.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:41 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin / Dev Team

Team: Admins
Main: Jeff_L
Level: 1028
Class: Sniper

We do get a small but constant complaints from mostly low-mid level players saying that they simply can't play the game because someone will follow them around and keep killing them whenever they get into their ship. I think this is pretty clearly griefing.

Note that I'm only proposing you gain protection from the actual person who killed you, not everyone. You can't let your friend kill you, then go fly around some galaxy immune to everyone.

Also, I agree that healing someone that the person who killed you has hate towards while that person is in the same gal as you should clear the protection.

I agree that mutual war should void this, but not one-way war.

I'm not sure if being in a galaxy with bases owned by either party should void this condition or not. I would say maybe, but not sure. Note that scanning bases will now be a hostile act, so that would also clear any protection.

I don't think 5-10 minutes of protection is enough. Earthforce space isn't that big, and if you're working on a particular mission or leveling in a particular area, you won't be that hard to find in 10 minutes, especially for low levels.

I think we have to assume there will be killers out there with twinked low-medium level characters out to kill anyone and everyone they can just because they can. So the time should be set with this in mind. If you're a level 100 player going around trying to do some missions, how much PKing would you tolerate per hour per PKer before you say F-it, this game sucks?

Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:00 am
Profile WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next