It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 2:24 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Team: Dark Traders
Main: Kyp
Level: 2610
Class: Engineer

Post Re: New Sounds
HAL wrote:
I don't really feel comfortable doing this because we don't have any voice actors, and shitty voice acting would probably take away from the game more than it adds.

Ask for volunteers? Then all you need is someone to sift through the candidate sound-bites... and maybe pass the leading candidates past a panel of devs for final selection. I suspect we have people capable of saying "ALL HAIL ADUM!!!" in an appropriate voice, ya just gotta put out a little effort to find them.

Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:40 pm

Team: Strawberry Pancakes
Main: Copernicus
Level: 884
Class: Gunner

Location: Here, floating in my tin can, far above the world...
Zekk wrote:
HAL wrote:
I don't really feel comfortable doing this because we don't have any voice actors, and shitty voice acting would probably take away from the game more than it adds.

Ask for volunteers? Then all you need is someone to sift through the candidate sound-bites... and maybe pass the leading candidates past a panel of devs for final selection. I suspect we have people capable of saying "ALL HAIL ADUM!!!" in an appropriate voice, ya just gotta put out a little effort to find them.

True. It's not like anyone is just going to take any sounds that come along and plop them in the game. What vocals I'm working on are completely up to Jeff when it comes to using them in game. If it works, it works; if it doesn't, it doesn't.

F2P: Colonel Mustang

Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:16 pm
Profile E-mail
Dev Team

Team: HAL
Main: HAL 9000
Level: 1002
Class: Berserker

DarthFirebert wrote:
True. It's not like anyone is just going to take any sounds that come along and plop them in the game. What vocals I'm working on are completely up to Jeff when it comes to using them in game. If it works, it works; if it doesn't, it doesn't.

I certainly wouldn't mind giving it a try, but I don't hold out a lot of hope and you should probably ask Jeff first before getting into something that he might have other reasons for avoiding (like size of the client). Very few people are vocally talented enough to make multiple voices that can convey a variety of different character types, not to mention having the talent to do any additional electronic manipulations to get the desired effects on their own. There is a reason why most independent games shy away from character voice acting, and that is because you really do need a recording studio and a variety of casted voice actors to do it properly. (But that is just my opinion).

Example of what I mean... say we were to do voice overs for UZ, we would want zebra prince to sound sort of like a horse or something, rhino would need to have a deep rumbling voice, panther princess would have to have a female catty voice, etc. I'm just not sure we could pull that off with the resources we have at our disposal.

Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:43 pm

Team: Capitalists
Main: Jeff Bobbo
Level: 2048

HAL wrote:
jeff mc beth wrote:
Would it be possible to give ubers voices for shouts? :P Or is that just too far?

The functionality for something like this is already possible in the game, I added it when I wrote the code that allowed us to do boss scripting. We would just need to add a few lines to the boss scripts either in place of or supplementary to the galaxy shouts, and record and add the appropriate sound files to the client. I don't really feel comfortable doing this because we don't have any voice actors, and shitty voice acting would probably take away from the game more than it adds.

It is a possibility at some point in the future, but I don't see it happening right now unless Jeff decided to make it a priority.

Oh yeah... I forgot that. XD Although, it would be a lot of work... Especially as I think just about every uber, including even that of Rattie Moe should have AT least 1 shout.

Maybe when, or rather if, SS gets really big it would be cool.

JeffL wrote:
Are you kidding me? Our C2 music is way better than that boring garbage you linked.

Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:26 pm
Profile WWW

Of course, let's not get ahead of ourselves. All that's being considered right now are just simple replies for slaves to shout. I made some samples the other day and Jeff liked them, gave me some tips about changes that could make them work better, and he'll decide if the tweaked versions end up in the game or not; it's just a little collaborative thing that benefits me either way as it's a chance to learn more about sound editing software. As for other voices, that's just something that might come later on.

Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:29 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: Psionic Corps
Main: The Crazy Game Maste
Level: 1031

Location: TARDIS, Time Vortex, Main Universe, Reality, Big Bang 2, Multiverse 1
HAL wrote:
DarthFirebert wrote:

I certainly wouldn't mind giving it a try, but I don't hold out a lot of hope and you should probably ask Jeff first before getting into something that he might have other reasons for avoiding (like size of the client). Very few people are vocally talented enough to make multiple voices that can convey a variety of different character types, not to mention having the talent to do any additional electronic manipulations to get the desired effects on their own. There is a reason why most independent games shy away from character voice acting, and that is because you really do need a recording studio and a variety of casted voice actors to do it properly. (But that is just my opinion).

Example of what I mean... say we were to do voice overs for UZ, we would want zebra prince to sound sort of like a horse or something, rhino would need to have a deep rumbling voice, panther princess would have to have a female catty voice, etc. I'm just not sure we could pull that off with the resources we have at our disposal.

I can :)

JeffL wrote:
Maybe you guys are right. We can leave things how they are for now and get more feedback later.

Last edited by thecrazygamemaster on Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:12 pm
Profile E-mail

Well, I suppose that with setting some basic standards it might be possible to set up a player contribution system where players can submit graphics and audio for the game and have it be reviewed by the staff at their leisure since it would just be a low-priority side project of sorts. Still, since the players would all be volunteer we might end up with a situation where some players send in sound bites, others edit it, and some do both. The potential problem with that is that one volunteer might become busier in the brick-and-mortar world and not be able to edit things and that could throw a wrench into the gearworks.

Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:35 am
Profile E-mail

Team: Memento Mori
Main: -T-
Level: 407
Class: Speed Demon

I made a bunch of sound effects which you may like. May upload them to megaupload or something.

And I googled "GAMES BETTER THAN RUNESCAPE"

Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:52 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin / Dev Team

Team: Admins
Main: Jeff_L
Level: 1028
Class: Sniper

Do I need to bribe people to get more help with this? =)

Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:43 pm
Profile WWW

I might can poke around the sound site more later. I'm thinking that adding launch sounds for each missile type - high-pitched for smaller, kinetic missiles; a roar for nukes - might be in order.

Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:26 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: None
Main: Jagur4
Level: 1459

JeffL wrote:
Do I need to bribe people to get more help with this? =)

Getting back from a vacation late tomorrow, I'll take a look then, if there are still things to be done.

Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:11 pm

Main: Nuroshounin
Level: 833

I've been extremely busy lately and really haven't gotten to look at this as much as I wanted. And then when I did get the time to look, the site promptly went down.

Here's a quick list from the specified site...

Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:47 pm
Profile E-mail YIM
Site Admin / Dev Team

Team: Admins
Main: Jeff_L
Level: 1028
Class: Sniper

Thank you for the latest suggestions. I updated the first post.

We still need more suggestions. =)

Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:15 pm
Profile WWW

Team: Memento Mori
Main: -T-
Level: 407

JeffL wrote:
Thank you for the latest suggestions. I updated the first post.

We still need more suggestions. =)

I'm still trying to get those sounds emailed to you but it's still not working :evil: .

And I googled "GAMES BETTER THAN RUNESCAPE"

Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:56 am
Profile E-mail

Team: Psionic Corps
Main: The Crazy Game Maste
Level: 1031

Location: TARDIS, Time Vortex, Main Universe, Reality, Big Bang 2, Multiverse 1
Ambient sound for when your ship is near a sun--

Any of the sounds on this page will work: http://www.soundrangers.com/index.cfm?c ... ng=burning

PM open a new message: login melodic 19

Dialog Box Open: pulldown 03

JeffL wrote:
Maybe you guys are right. We can leave things how they are for now and get more feedback later.

Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:02 am
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next