It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:55 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Team: Strawberry Pancakes
Main: shawn - mccall
Level: 2411
Class: Fleet Commander

Post Re: More skilled AI
Battlecruiser23 wrote:
shawn_mccall wrote:
Yes, but with UZ you ahve to consider that you're not really fighting a lvl 1k zebra you're fighting what should be lvl1600 iirc , so in that instance I can accept that it should be difficult.

Because people were leveling off them for cheap levels. :P

I already covered that. :P

andezrhode wrote:
goett wrote:
All oly ships look way to geometrically conservative for my tastes.

thats because most graphic designers are squares :mrgreen:

goett wrote:
Fired bullets taste like candy.

Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:17 am
Profile E-mail

Team: Traders
Main: DarkSpirit
Level: 3428
Class: Shield Monkey

I didnt saw from the new beef anything, of cours ei am such a monster i wouldnt really see the difference. But i admit that new /low lvl player must have problems in lvling.
1 vs 8 in a dg is not really a good way to lvl.
I would suggest another solution to this problem.
The main problem looks for, that low lvl player cannot lvl that easy anymore.
And if thats getting frustrated people wont play very loong.
So why not introduce another xp system for the player.
Its starts in that way that low lvl players do get more xp ( or maxxed xp) from lower lvl AIs till they are lvl 2k or so (might need a non linear progress or that).
Instead of beefing and nerfing the AIs constantly.
If someone is passes the 2k lvl they will start getting the xp now that u would get from an AI.
Everyone who hits 2k in lvl should gained enough experience to handle with beefed AIs.
Any comments voomy/ jeff to that approach?

Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:25 am
Profile E-mail

muemin wrote:
I didnt saw from the new beef anything, of cours ei am such a monster i wouldnt really see the difference. But i admit that new /low lvl player must have problems in lvling.
1 vs 8 in a dg is not really a good way to lvl.
I would suggest another solution to this problem.
So why not introduce another xp system for the player.
Its starts in that way that low lvl players do get more xp ( or maxxed xp) from lower lvl AIs till they are lvl 2k or so (might need a non linear progress or that).
Instead of beefing and nerfing the AIs constantly.
If someone is passes the 2k lvl they will start getting the xp now that u would get from an AI.
Everyone who hits 2k in lvl should gained enough experience to handle with beefed AIs.
Any comments voomy/ jeff to that approach?

You want people to have incentive to kill lower lvled AI than themselves and yet still become experienced in the game? That doesn't even work in theory much less in reality, if you provide someone with incentive to take the easy way out they will do it and invariably be less experienced than had you given them incentive to try and devise ways of tackling higher lvl AIs. Which is why in all games you are rewarded with more experience for taking on something far higher than your lvl instead of vice versa...

andezrhode wrote:
goett wrote:

goett wrote:

Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:42 am
Profile E-mail
Content Dev

I did a little testing yesterday (as in: before Jeff nerfed them):
Level 800 SD in a sup, exc, 2 zeus vulture with an excom, eclipse blockade, venusian motor, venusian vitality, sement radar and some laser volies. Maxed subskills, AT 20

I was able to kill picks, BGs and forgones fairly easily as long as I managed to fight them one by one, which thanks to my speed, wasn't hard. Forgones were especially fun to kill because due to their sniper skill, they sat still, allowing me to just dodge their pulses while flying circles around them. Only died once when 3 vultures decided to hunt me

Level 800 Sniper in a Qa, zeus, greener juju with a catapult, excom, eclipse blockade, venu motor, argonium charger, combined capacitor 8, halved antimatter, sonic radar/zeteny radar. Max subskills, AT 20

Even though I've never played sniper, picks, BGs and forgones weren't much of a problem. The Catapult's crits gave me enough time to kill the AI before it'd reach me, unless it was a bad spawn. In that case, I just decided to kite the AI, which was a lot easier than I thought it was.

In both of those tests, I saw no sign of the AI being completly overpowered and unkillable by lower level players. The battles had a length which I perceived as fitting and the level of difficulty wasn't very bad either.

muemin wrote:

I disagree. Not being able to level to 1500 or 2000 in a few days is not a necessarily a bad thing. The reasons for people getting frustrated is usually quite the opposite: they got the best gear, enough levels and have killed everything at least once. A game starts to get boring as soon as it's not challenging anymore.

Long story short: I think perilous AI should be challenging, BUT I have to admit that the difficulty curve isn't as smooth as it should be. With my sniper, it took me 3-4 shots with a Catapult and with my SD, a few seconds with an excom to kill a rosemary, which usually is the AI you level on before entering perilous/when entering perilous the first time.

Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:19 am
Profile E-mail

Team: Dark Traders
Main: enkelin
Level: 3002
Class: Speed Demon

@ s_m_w

My main concern is with the shield/resistance buff to Picks. It's fine for you to feel that they are currently well balanced, but when an endgame player who's used to waltzing through any dg not containing GB's or Platties suddenly has to spend several minutes gnawing away at a few level 1300 AI, that is an indication that something is wrong. I would suggest that you don't have a broad enough perspective on the matter.

(Bluenoser) Put your finger in your mouth and gag reflex should do the rest

Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:00 pm

Team: Capitalists
Main: Jeff Bobbo
Level: 2048
Class: Gunner

I just done a DF 100 DG on my level 650 Engineer character, with the gear:

Quote:
Astronomica Charger
Astronomica's Mod
General Ops Prowess Augmenter 3
Advanced Blocker 5
Hull Extension
Stolen Volcom Plans
Nate's Birthday Card
Drone Scoop
Undead Presence
Oversized Combined Capacitor IV
RDDS 2
Engineer Chain Transfer MK I
Mzungu Armorite
Rhino Charge
Ace in a Pill I 16
Engineer Drone Controller
Rhino Endurance
Grem Box 2 No
Engineer Transfer Station 3
Solar Panel IV 6
Shield Transference III
Witch's Broomstick
Ace in a Pill I Crate 14
Zeteny Radar
DWO Drone 5
Constable Tractor Yes
Vazaha Operative Drone 5
Volitile Laser Diffuser 6 Yes
Nuclear Waste 25
BFD 9000 Prototype 3
Zombie Pod 1 Yes
Restraining Order 1 No
Energy Transference Beam II 1 No
Defensive Bubble Drone 1 No
Mzungu Mining Defender 4
BFD 9000 Drone 3
Acme Combat Drone 3

In my Unholy Pax. I almost lost one of my Acme Combat Drones to a stage of Cleft Thorns. (3 combats, 3 BFDs). Not cool.

Update: Stage of 8 Clefts, lost an Acme, couldn't target it in time. >_<

JeffL wrote:
Are you kidding me? Our C2 music is way better than that boring garbage you linked.

Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:21 pm
Profile WWW

Main: Shawn
Level: 2603
Class: Berserker

SMW, level 800 with max sub skills? and gears of tech20? why dont u try calculating your sp again ? cause all that gear will take atleast 1300 levels...

Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:36 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: Evo
Main: Savak
Level: 20
Class: None

Not to mention that you tested classes that arent getting shot usually.

Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:07 pm

Team: None
Main: Demiser of D
Level: 20
Class: None

Indeed; snipers have always been able to do most content, given enough boredom/time to finish it. SD's are similar; given skill, almost any level of SD can do any level of stuff.

The classes that really suffer are those that improve more via in game skills and classes, such as zerkers, gunners, and engineers. You should test those out, instead.

Battlecruiser23 wrote:
Fuck you, Cygnus.

Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:41 pm

Team: None
Main: Pure Evil
Level: 2837

I done a few dg's with my shm, mf and engineer the only thing that would kill me insanely were the mfing 3 forgones not the omega platforms... If that is what the devs intended, it works!

Forgones if anything are the most broken of them all, but I like these improvments overall :D

I don't agree though that AI that were once doable, are now unable to do them. It will just extremely annoy some people as posted before in this topic.

Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:04 pm
Profile E-mail
Content Dev

Shawn wrote:
SMW, level 800 with max sub skills? and gears of tech20? why dont u try calculating your sp again ? cause all that gear will take atleast 1300 levels...

Most of the gear is not tech 20 as you may have noticed, but you are right, it's closer to being over 800 (836 to be exact) than under and considering I decided to ignore misc skills, such as station management, trade skills, Zens etc, my test results might be a little bit off. What level of skill and gear should a player have to be able to level in perilous?

anilv wrote:
@ s_m_w
My main concern is with the shield/resistance buff to Picks. It's fine for you to feel that they are currently well balanced, but when an endgame player who's used to waltzing through any dg not containing GB's or Platties suddenly has to spend several minutes gnawing away at a few level 1300 AI, that is an indication that something is wrong. I would suggest that you don't have a broad enough perspective on the matter.

Something that'd help a lot would be feedback on the difficulty on certain AI, before and after the beef (preferably the non-nerfed beef), i.e. average time to kill a DG with that AI, perceived difficulty for your class etc. The more info we have, the better we can balance everything

Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:08 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: Dark Traders
Main: enkelin
Level: 3002
Class: Speed Demon

@ s_m_w

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=43126

I haven't added to it since yesterday, but I believe this is what you are looking for. So far, Picks have stood out to me as unacceptably hardier, while I've also heard that MF 3 Forgones are doing way too much damage (haven't run into them yet).

(Bluenoser) Put your finger in your mouth and gag reflex should do the rest

Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:11 pm
Content Dev

excellent

Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:12 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: Eminence Front
Main: DemonBlood
Level: 1761

anilv wrote:
@ s_m_w

the keyword here is ITS NOT FUN

GAMES NEED TO BE FUN OR PLAYERS DONT PLAY THEM.

SIMPLE. (change the level of the AI to suit the strength, and there is no problem. THE SOLUTION IS STARING YOU IN THE FACE, THE OBVIOUS SOLUTION IS THE BEST ONE. DOIT, dont pretend that the original problem isnt still there)

Last edited by landswimmer on Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:03 pm
Profile E-mail

[color=ff0000]As for my engineer I used to predominantly do BgrGrns in dgs, took me around 3-5 minutes per lvl using BFDs and a charge, now I lose a few BFDs or get bored because it takes too long and just sit around watching trade slaves mine...[/color]

andezrhode wrote:
goett wrote:

goett wrote:

Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:04 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next