It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 12:43 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Team: Dark Traders
Main: enkelin
Level: 3002
Class: Speed Demon

Post Re: More skilled AI
I'm fine with high-end DG's being practically unsoloable. Just put a lot more Delquad and Hive bosses in DF 400+ and (most importantly) improve their drops. Their loot has to be at N times better than the loot you can get doing solo dg's, if you expect N players to squad up and do them. New unsoloable AI are always welcome as well!

(Bluenoser) Put your finger in your mouth and gag reflex should do the rest

Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:50 am

Team: Strawberry Pancakes
Main: shawn - mccall
Level: 2411
Class: Fleet Commander

newman233 wrote:
JeffL wrote:
Demonaru wrote:
The difficulty right now is that I am evenly matched with an AI of my level which makes no sense because when I warp into a dungeon of AI my level or above, its 8 vrs 1, me and they all instantly see me and shoot me once no matter what I do, its ridiculous.

The issue with this is that DG's were originally created and balanced to be for groups of players only. It's only because of the mudflation of player power over the years that you guys are used to soloing DG's in the first place. For solo play, you're supposed to fly around wild space and perilous space and set up 1v1 - 1v3's. You are supposed to get wtfpwned if you try to solo DG's, but I guess that is all in the past, and doesn't really matter anymore. People want easy DG's and really easy Wild and Perilous space, so that's why I'm reverting the skills.

I'm with Jeff here. I don't think dgs should be soloed by just about anyone.

Kanga

I'm with the school of thought that a charge drone should be able to keep my BFD alive for more than 2 seconds when I'm fighting *1* forgone. Not to mentions proms case, where he lost bils in drones thanks to *1* volley from *1* forgone, and you know his losses would have been much less had admins listened to the economics lesson I was giving on supply and demand. Yay for 10b per Inferno!

andezrhode wrote:
goett wrote:
All oly ships look way to geometrically conservative for my tastes.

thats because most graphic designers are squares :mrgreen:

goett wrote:
Fired bullets taste like candy.

Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:12 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: Devil Dog
Main: Maran
Level: 1207
Class: Engineer

shawn_mccall wrote:
I'm with the school of thought that a charge drone should be able to keep my BFD alive for more than 2 seconds when I'm fighting *1* forgone. Not to mentions proms case, where he lost bils in drones thanks to *1* volley from *1* forgone, and you know his losses would have been much less had admins listened to the economics lesson I was giving on supply and demand. Yay for 10b per Inferno!

/signed

Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:06 am
Profile E-mail

Team: PrimalDecus
Main: Uth Matar
Level: 2466

anilv wrote:
I'm fine with high-end DG's being practically unsoloable. Just put a lot more Delquad and Hive bosses in DF 400+ and (most importantly) improve their drops. Their loot has to be at N times better than the loot you can get doing solo dg's, if you expect N players to squad up and do them. New unsoloable AI are always welcome as well!

FREDOM FOR WING4+ !!! NOW !!! /viewtopic.php?f=4&t=28872&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
The Voomy One :Uth Matar is correct!

Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:55 pm

Team: None
Main: BlackDragon
Level: 1876

Is it possible for a DG to cater to both the solo people and also to groups?

IE: If a guy goes in solo, he gets 10 AI from level 1 - Boss.

Then, a group of 4 go in. Instead of having 10 of the AI in all the levels, there would be 10 * Sqrt[N} (Rounded up/down), where N is the number of people in a group. So they get 20 AI in levels 1 - Boss, and 2-3 bosses at the end.

That or increase the drop percent for each new person in a group.

One of the best games I saw do this was Borderlands. The more people there were, the more baddies, and thus, the better the loot.

As it is, it just isnt economically worthwhile to DG in groups as more often than not DG loot is garbage.

Also, if you increased the number of drops/numbers of bosses for groups, you could add an auto-kick out to each DG as camping would be a serious issue in that case. But, you wouldnt need to camp if each time you went through a DG, you got something semi-worthwhile.

~BD

Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:07 am
Site Admin / Dev Team

Team: Eminence Front
Main: PhoenixSun2
Level: 1392
Class: Shield Monkey

BlackDragon wrote:

Then, a group of 4 go in. Instead of having 10 of the AI in all the levels, there would be 10 * Sqrt[N} (Rounded up/down), where N is the number of people in a group. So they get 20 AI in levels 1 - Boss, and 2-3 bosses at the end.

One of the best games I saw do this was Borderlands. The more people there were, the more baddies, and thus, the better the loot.

As it is, it just isnt economically worthwhile to DG in groups as more often than not DG loot is garbage.

Also, if you increased the number of drops/numbers of bosses for groups, you could add an auto-kick out to each DG as camping would be a serious issue in that case. But, you wouldnt need to camp if each time you went through a DG, you got something semi-worthwhile.

~BD

I also really like the Borderlands system. That was a great Co-op game where it was more worthwhile playing together then alone.

Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:05 am

Main: Paximaximus
Level: 2572

pip8786 wrote:
BlackDragon wrote:

~BD

I also really like the Borderlands system. That was a great Co-op game where it was more worthwhile playing together then alone.

Sounds absolutely amazing, as a system. I really love it.
But, would it be possible to do Shm/Zerk+MC'd Alts?

Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:51 pm
Profile E-mail

Main: yugioh
Level: 1854
Class: Fleet Commander

While I agree group gameplay is generally better than solo, that doesn't mean you should be FORCED to play in groups to do anything meaningful past level 1k. It should be possible to solo level at an acceptable rate (i.e. not epic, 5-minute fights for each AI, where you get pwnt by another 3 before the end of the first minute), and even get some decent loot solo, from DGs. Hell, the last big solo-oriented content was Enigmatic Sector, several years ago, and that's aimed at level 400-500. We need more stuff made to be soloed at endgame, but that can't be exploited with multiple people. Maybe a few special DGs, instanced so only 1 person can enter, with a lockout?

Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:57 pm

But thats what Im suggesting.

If you want to solo, it will be just as worthwhile (maybe more so, for you personally, if you MC) than if you go with a group.

Again, referring back to Borderlands because they did this wonderfully. If I was going around solo, it would be just as difficult as going in a group, because the amount of AI/their strength would scale with the number of people in the group.

So, if I teamed up with 3 others, the AI would be pretty damn close to 4x as hard, but instead of going solo I was with others killing stuff. The loot that dropped was 4x times better as well, so really it was just a matter of preference, which is how I feel SS should be.

Forcing people into groups (excluding ubers) or solo should not be done, but rather, allow people to do it however they please.

Again, Im not sure how viable this is in the game, but I think with some creative thinking here or there, it could be done.

~BD

Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:44 am

Team: Capitalists
Main: Jeff Bobbo
Level: 2048
Class: Gunner

Make harder DGs, for groups?

JeffL wrote:
Are you kidding me? Our C2 music is way better than that boring garbage you linked.

Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:13 am
Profile WWW

Just throwing this example out...
AI being 3x as hard, for a group of Engi Dread/Shm Rhino w/o slaves/Zerk.
The Zerk has to output roughly 3x the DPS to cover the chars keeping it alive etc?

Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:37 am
Profile E-mail

Team: Heaven
Main: Kangaroo_blob
Level: 3102
Class: Berserker

The idea of more people = more lewt sounds good to me :)

Kanga

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:05 am

andezrhode2a wrote:
The Zerk has to output roughly 3x the DPS to cover the chars keeping it alive etc?

See, thats why I threw in the Sqrt[N] thing. For 3 you would have 1-2x the difficulty.

But also, from your same point, if you have just a zerker, in a DG and he can only last 3 minutes in the first level. Then you throw in a ShM + Engi with the zerker, don't you think he will last roughly 2-3 times as long? So if the AI are 2-3x as difficult, he will end up still only lasting about 3 minutes, same as if he did solo.

Now granted, it wouldnt be a linear difficulty increase, because if something was so difficult that no one could do it, adding more people wouldn't necessarily help. But if it does so in a Square root type way, once you add in, say 4 people, its only 2x as difficult as it was.

~BD

Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:05 pm

BlackDragon wrote:
andezrhode2a wrote:

See, thats why I threw in the Sqrt[N] thing. For 3 you would have 1-2x the difficulty.

But also, from your same point, if you have just a zerker, in a DG and he can only last 3 minutes in the first level. Then you throw in a ShM + Engi with the zerker, don't you think he will last roughly 2-3 times as long? So if the AI are 2-3x as difficult, he will end up still only lasting about 3 minutes, same as if he did solo.

Now granted, it wouldnt be a linear difficulty increase, because if something was so difficult that no one could do it, adding more people wouldn't necessarily help. But if it does so in a Square root type way, once you add in, say 4 people, its only 2x as difficult as it was.

~BD

Well firstly my Zerk is bank, so yeah.... :roll:

But overall signed, on the Sqrt. concept, non-linear, for the love of god.

Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:43 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11