It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:27 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Team: Eminence Front
Main: Myrtok
Level: 1620
Class: Speed Demon

Post Re: Low level base kits
Aurora Ex Machina wrote:
Dorin Nube wrote:
or else the range cap needs to be removed. Let the base with the best gear and STM skills have the advantage rather than forcing players to exploit a weakness in the way the game is made.

I'm not sure why the range cap exists.

I will vote for it being removed, in our discussions.

They've said in the past that the server desyncs terribly beyond 10k range, which is a valid excuse. Still, base weapon ranges should be nerfed or a range limit for deployment should be enacted so that we can play based on our skills rather than the limitations of the server.

Chaosking3 wrote:
Because then someone would just stick something like 4 Achi Range 2 Achi Firing or some such on a Ada kit and get wtf insane range with a mag. Only way to ensure you might not get swamped by a ton of 6 range aug kits is to put 6 range augs of your own on.

My example might sound stupid but that would be the effect

Yeah, but then they would have to sacrifice dps, regen, etc. As it is, any high level player with STM can hit the range cap with only one achilles range aug.

HAL wrote:
You are greedy and ignorant, you can't have everything in life for free.

Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:35 pm

Team: Strawberry Pancakes
Main: Trevor50
Level: 4503
Class: Shield Monkey

Aurora Ex Machina wrote:
Dorin Nube wrote:
or else the range cap needs to be removed. Let the base with the best gear and STM skills have the advantage rather than forcing players to exploit a weakness in the way the game is made.

Because past about 8k, or even before mags start to have major desync problem, and im sure if lasers get any further they will aswell. Although they might not due to it being a straight laser.

Stay strong, live long, and walk humbly.

Strawberry Blueberry Pancakes

Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:53 pm
Profile E-mail

Main: Hooch Dealer
Level: 2763
Class: Gunner

trevor54 wrote:
Aurora Ex Machina wrote:
Dorin Nube wrote:

Because past about 8k, or even before mags start to have major desync problem, and im sure if lasers get any further they will aswell. Although they might not due to it being a straight laser.

Lasers tend to disappear at about that range, the graphic gets so stretched out that players cannot see where it is hitting directly, only by the damage being done.

http://www.gbtv.com
http://www.theblaze.com

Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:00 pm
Profile YIM

Main: Paximaximus
Level: 2572
Class: Engineer

My position on removing the Range-cap is this.
A viable defense base: Dem, 2 Achil dmg 2 firing 1 range with a nice Alsens on it,and Achil Z lazer will about hit 10k, barely.
That is fairly endgame, weapon, and aug wise. Trev will argue about the Kit, but I aint swimming in Ada.
The point im making is if the Range-cap is removed, I will need to lose DPS in some form to gain any decent range to counter BvB. Im not a huge fan of mags, mainly the DeSync issue, the fact theyre slow moving and not too tough to dodge, and not too high damage really.
Its quite possible to probably go 30k out(example) And aug 4 range 2 rof with Ada mag on 3-5 bases and, in time, bring down a galaxy.
It would require insane levels of diversity in terms of weapons, augs, and setups for bases and defense in general.
There is already a distinct line between gearing a base for Anti-Pvb/Bvb, this would require alot more bases to cover the diverse array of options at the opposing teams disposal.
Plus the fact StM Mags get fucking crazy range. I dont know the figures, but jesus christ I wouldnt be suprised if an assault kit was 100k out.

Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:24 pm
Profile E-mail

Main: Hooch Dealer
Level: 2763
Class: Gunner

andezrhode2a wrote:
lots.

4 Ach range with annih ada or ach mag will be well over 60k range.

http://www.gbtv.com
http://www.theblaze.com

Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:32 pm
Profile YIM

Sure, but if they can get enough dps with all range augs on a kit to kill your whole galaxy, then they probably could have done it with pvb anyway. A galaxy should be able to outheal an ada cannon that doesn't benefit from any damage or ROF augs without much trouble. An ada cannon is 940 dps. Call it close to 2500 dps if the bvber has StM 30. That 2500 will get cut down by your kit's resists of course. An Ada Charger adds over 3k shield regen/second. Ada Protector is 664 regen and is also affected by StM and augs. Then you factor in healer bases auged for almost pure regen, healer drones, etc., and it's easy to see how a bvb base augged for pure range would fail. The worst it would do is annoy you as your EE bases and colo boosters come into range and maybe die. Nope, the BvBer would still have to devote a reasonable number of aug slots to damage, rof, and recovery if he hoped to kill your gal.

Also, if you're going to stay 60 or 100k out, It would take many hours to tow a base around the radius of that circle to target individual bases.

HAL wrote:

Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:08 am
Site Admin / Dev Team

Team: Admins
Main: Jeff_L
Level: 1028
Class: Sniper

sleepysnagrund wrote:
- My favorite: BvB bases that a team is allowed to lay must be laid near the warp to the galaxy that allows the slots. i.e. attackers have 2 gals bordering the gal they want to attack. They can lay 2 bases near 1 warp, 2 near another. They are then free to drag these around as they wish, but they must deal with the defenses of the galaxy in order yo set-up their assault.

That's definitely a cool idea, but I think would make BvB completely non-viable. It's probably OK that the attackers go 10k as long as the defenders get some kind of message that their galaxy is under assault even before the bases start firing at each other. (Does it now, or do we have to add that?)

I have no problem getting rid of the 10k base range cap if we also significantly nerfed the ranges of base weapons, particularly the lasers. I'm talking by about 2/3. At least that way, you wouldn't be dealing with the arbitrary limit. I always thought bases shot from too far away anyway.

Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:21 am
Profile WWW

JeffL wrote:
I have no problem getting rid of the 10k base range cap if we also significantly nerfed the ranges of base weapons, particularly the lasers. I'm talking by about 2/3. At least that way, you wouldn't be dealing with the arbitrary limit. I always thought bases shot from too far away anyway.

I would vote for that nerf. You may need to go on a case-by-case basis with some weps, but overall many bases would get long ranges near 10k even if you did make the 2/3 cut.

There will be complaints from people who have gotten used to exploiting the 10k hard cap, but even they will probably learn to appreciate the new levels of strategy involved with a new system like this one.

HAL wrote:

Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:36 am

Team: PrimalDecus
Main: Uth Matar
Level: 2466

There is no exploiting involved Dorin and you where right when you said : can you imagine towing your base for 50k bf she comes into range ? With nerf that number would reduce but still defender can always put 3 ro 4 bases to range only .
Best solution if you even think situation as it is now is broken ( dont forget that now as attacker you can only use 2 (TWO) bases to attack a gal ) is to give defenders 500 more range so planets that move around the sun etc. can shoot at attackers simultaneously . If you think that is a problem .

What will pulse range be with this nerf ?

ANd anyway i never lost a bvb battle with a planets with high rotation and 1 HPS base . Atm for attacker to break your base he needs to shoot at your base non stop and with base going around the sun that is really hard to maintain - same with targeting precisely the same base all the time .

We had enough changes for 1 uni IMO and all of you that dont think that with new BvB rules fighting bases become a lot harder and expensive allready should think again . Most borders have 1 entry gal that means you will only have 2 bases to kill the whole gal with . If defender has 2 dem HPS kits that is next to impossible .

FREDOM FOR WING4+ !!! NOW !!! /viewtopic.php?f=4&t=28872&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
The Voomy One :Uth Matar is correct!

Last edited by Uth Matar on Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:30 am

Uth Matar wrote:
There is no exploiting involved Dorin.

You're right. I should have been more precise. It is not an exploit in the sense of cheating. It is obviously well within the rules.

It is a way to take advantage of the limitations of the server though, which is a nicer way of saying "exploit that won't get you banned."

I just think it would be more fun to have a situation where the best bases win, and the base owners can take full advantage of their skills, gear, and imagination where setups are concerned. Bubblewraps would probably need to be beefed or base kits get a short resist aura upon deployment or something to balance things out, and that 2 base per connector rule could easily be extended to 3 or 4 if needed for balance.

You're right though, that shouldn't go in this uni. All the defense bases are already placed and auged to take advantage of the 10k rule. I just think it's an improvment that should be looked at for the future.

HAL wrote:

Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:14 pm

Team: None
Main: thebattler36
Level: 1791

Dorin Nube wrote:
Uth Matar wrote:
There is no exploiting involved Dorin.

You're right. I should have been more precise. It is not an exploit in the sense of cheating. It is obviously well within the rules.

It is a way to take advantage of the limitations of the server though, which is a nicer way of saying "exploit that won't get you banned."

I just think it would be more fun to have a situation where the best bases win, and the base owners can take full advantage of their skills, gear, and imagination where setups are concerned. Bubblewraps would probably need to be beefed or base kits get a short resist aura upon deployment or something to balance things out, and that 2 base per connector rule could easily be extended to 3 or 4 if needed for balance.

You're right though, that shouldn't go in this uni. All the defense bases are already placed and auged to take advantage of the 10k rule. I just think it's an improvment that should be looked at for the future.

Don't see problems with the 10k rule to be honest.
The rule in itself forces actual thinking about the deployment of bases, do you want a weaker gal with more money making potential but bases spread out.

Or do you want a strong compact galaxy where the bases can cover each other if they're shot at, perhaps making less money.

Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:34 am
Profile E-mail

Team: The Forgotten Colonies
Main: Llessur
Level: 2808

Re the options proposed by Jeff

I must say I agree with Sodomy.

Exploiting galaxies is an essential part of SS. Bvb at best is a minir part of the mix.

Do not stuff up galaxy exploitation for a minor part of the game.

Currently a good galaxy is simply not fully exploitabe with 25 bases.

I think you should simply remove the hard cap on galaxies.

BTW what is the problem with dead bases not taking up slots? Surely that solved the bvb problem?

I do think that galaxies are way too easy to kill.
Recently I have been in several galaxy fights and I noticed that even inferior unattached bases can take out the very best attached bases as the unattached bases can be laid/moved so that several bases can be forcused on killing one attached base at a time.

Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:15 am
Profile E-mail YIM

Team: PrimalDecus
Main: Uth Matar
Level: 2466

Sorry russell but i think you misunderstand something .
1: dont listen to Sod :)
2: prob with dead bases is that unaugged t6 bases have 600 k shields and unauggedt9 have 1,2mil
3: They made gals much harder to kill now : when someone wishes to bvb a owned gal he can deploy max 2 bases per border HE owns . So even if there are 10 slots free he can still deploy 2 bases only . if anything bVb got another kick in the nuts .
4: These BvB change is not the last we are far far from that point
5: Where do people get the idea attached bases are weaker in defense ? Who and where did you fight to see that ?

FREDOM FOR WING4+ !!! NOW !!! /viewtopic.php?f=4&t=28872&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
The Voomy One :Uth Matar is correct!

Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:53 am

Main: Trevor50
Level: 4503

Quote:
I do think that galaxies are way too easy to kill.

If your gals are getting killed easily, I guess its time for you to go back to the basics of base building.

Uth Matar wrote:
Sorry russell but i think you misunderstand something .
1: dont listen to Sod :)

Hope that was meant as a joke, Sod is one of the more intelligent people on this board.

Stay strong, live long, and walk humbly.

Strawberry Blueberry Pancakes

Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:03 pm
Profile E-mail
Officer

Team: Death Mental
Main: capt. mac
Level: 2931

Sod knows how to kill a base.... as long as he has ops+ status and can toss your base gear lol

Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:12 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next