It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 2:46 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Site Admin / Dev Team

Team: Admins
Main: Jeff_L
Level: 1028
Class: Sniper

Post Re: Nice little tweak
Yeah, if we do f2p base building again, it will either be faster decays or (my favorite) periodic super-novas in f2p buildable galaxies. When you jump in, and a super-nova is expected in the next month, it will tell you. When the super nova goes off, all bases and drones are instantly destroyed and maybe even everything in the galaxy except AI bases also get destroyed and re-rolled, so to speak. We talked about these things, but in the end, decided not to divert programmer resources to it at this time.

Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:36 pm
Profile WWW

Team: None
Main: Stalker
Level: 20
Class: None

yugioh124 wrote:
JeffL wrote:
We decided to not actually add any more real estate for this next upcoming universe because there seems to be enough currently. Probably when we expand it, what we've been talking about it adding a new area similar in size to the Earthforce layer for low level builders, and have the quality of the planets there be about the same as in Earthforce currently. Then either this new area or Earthforce would allow f2p's to build a limited amount of bases and have trade slaves there, and disallow f2p building and trade slaves in all other layers. Whichever layer allows f2p's would not have any of the extended commodities on the planets and no artifacts so that we hopefully wouldn't have to worry about p2p's being annoyed at f2p's "using up space" since it will be overall low quality.

If you do that, please have destroyed bases decay at 2x-4x the normal rate, and have them automatically vanish when the timer is up, instead of going abandoned. When F2P used to build, that was the big problem, 95% of the available slots were taken by destroyed/abandoned bases.

Yugi has the right idea.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:11 am
Profile E-mail

Team: Eminence Front
Main: Myrtok
Level: 1620
Class: Speed Demon

JeffL wrote:
Then either this new area or Earthforce would allow f2p's to build a limited amount of bases and have trade slaves there, and disallow f2p building and trade slaves in all other layers. Whichever layer allows f2p's would not have any of the extended commodities on the planets and no artifacts so that we hopefully wouldn't have to worry about p2p's being annoyed at f2p's "using up space" since it will be overall low quality.

This is heresy. Someone start a bonfire. I'd like my Jeff_L well done please.

I'm not usually a complainer but. . .this is just too much. The base slots on P2P accounts are still terribly reduced, presumably because of server rescources, but you're adding a whole new layer for f2p bases which will get spammed by players with 20 f2p accounts apiece. Actual new players STILL won't get to build bases because 1: The professional f2ps will kill their bases constantly, and 2:They are too new to build a base and should be focusing their Skill Points on basic combat stuff anyway.

Meanwhile, the P2Ps are still stuck with the reduced functionality of the alts on our paid accounts. Telling me that you can't give back the base slots you took away from P2Ps, but you're going to make a whole new playground for f2p bases is kind of a kick in the teeth.

HAL wrote:
You are greedy and ignorant, you can't have everything in life for free.

Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:53 am

Team: Resident Evil
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 4129
Class: Shield Monkey

admins: yay we got a server tweak for more resources
players: yay more galaxy space, fps, or base slots
admins: er no none of those, that would be too cool for u.
players: -_-

landswimmer wrote:
IN C1, TIMEWARP SCREWS YOU!

Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:24 am
Profile E-mail YIM WWW

Team: None
Main: Demiser of D

But...myrt, we still have more slots than we had before the change. :?

Battlecruiser23 wrote:
Fuck you, Cygnus.

Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:36 am
Site Admin / Dev Team

Well, first time we tried to patch the "Sleepy" tweak to the server, it didn't work, and then it was a long time before we could patch again because we needed a client patch and I had lost my previous hard drive and couldn't build a C1 client for a long time until recently, but we finally have the "sleepy" code in and it's been running for the last 2 days now.

No one has reported any problems with slaves and bases, but keep a look out.

Performance-wise, we're only seeing about a 2x server speed increase, which is a lot less than the theoretical 8x - 10x speed increases we were seeing on various test servers, but still, 2x isn't that bad -- everyone should be able to get 10 shots per second now wherever they go on live as the server is now running well over 10 fps. What we're getting at the moment is a lot of idle CPU, possibly due to thread switching issues and overhead. There's still a lot of room to further optimize and play with it. Next thing we're going to try is setting CPU affinity to our different threads to keep the OS from switching them from one core to another which can be very expensive.

Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:14 am
Profile WWW

Main: DemonBlood
Level: 1761

what is gonna change to the game with this little tweak? will the uni be made bigger? will we just get a higher rof cap? or are you planning on a mix?

Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:11 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin / Dev Team

Right now, we've decided not to make the uni bigger since we'd rather work on C2. Perhaps the uni after that can be bigger.

But everyone should be able to solidly hit their ROF cap now, as the server is now definitely running faster than 10 fps.

This is part of the work Jey is doing to enable us to scale to ten times the current player base when we go to open beta for C2. I want us to be able to handle any possible influx we get in case things go very well.

Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:35 pm
Profile WWW

Main: DemonBlood
Level: 1761

JeffL wrote:
Right now, we've decided not to make the uni bigger since we'd rather work on C2. Perhaps the uni after that can be bigger.

But everyone should be able to solidly hit their ROF cap now, as the server is now definitely running faster than 10 fps.

This is part of the work Jey is doing to enable us to scale to ten times the current player base when we go to open beta for C2. I want us to be able to handle any possible influx we get in case things go very well.

awesome

have you considered the effect AT will have on the beta test? most players, already knowing how to powerlevel, will most likely somehow manage to skip the early content, while all the classes other than FC will be slowed down alot by having to get aug tweaking leveled up in order to compete (FC aug setups usually follow resist aug + resist aug for lowbie FCs), having that much imbalance in the beta might put off new players aswell, there needs to be a way to get AT without relying on other players to DG so you can buy the stuff, which noone will, because they will all just be powerleveling, because the endgame content is much more profitable, and it is a competition after all

maybe make it so that money/gear gotten during the betatest also carries over to the live server? that way players wouldnt be throwing away their chance at getting a prize by providing other players with the items needed for AT and other skills

Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:12 pm
Profile E-mail
over 9000!

Team: Pax Romana
Main: Ghost Commander
Level: 1138
Class: Berserker

Squad combat, not leveling test.
Have teams jump in as single entries and have the best PvP squad from the team be the winners.

Normal PvP rules in real space, Arena in some randomly generated galaxy. Don't use Colo.

There, we have to have a balanced or specialized good set of peeps to win. Team effort. No powerleveling beating people.

Also, the first class to be selected is what you're stuck with. Entry eligible for people with a main of 1000+.

If you want the firepower of a Sniper or a Zerker, you're going to have to level one.

Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:45 am

Team: The Great Armada
Main: Xonok6
Level: 590
Class: Berserker

pip8786 wrote:
yugioh124 wrote:
Maybe instead of increasing the number in every galaxy, you could have the uni generator make 1 in 20 or so galaxies in Wild Space have 4 or 5 "solar systems" in it? They would be coveted as HQ galaxies, could lead to interesting developments on uni reset.

I think a few super galaxies might be cool also.

Yep, then big teams would play king of the hill. And use less gals for nothing. Like it

Tomzta09 wrote:
Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive.

Grow a vagina, those things take a pounding.

Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:43 am
Profile E-mail

Team: Fire and Ice
Main: Massif Destruction

Xonok2 wrote:
pip8786 wrote:
yugioh124 wrote:
Maybe instead of increasing the number in every galaxy, you could have the uni generator make 1 in 20 or so galaxies in Wild Space have 4 or 5 "solar systems" in it? They would be coveted as HQ galaxies, could lead to interesting developments on uni reset.

I think a few super galaxies might be cool also.

Yep, then big teams would play king of the hill. And use less gals for nothing. Like it

I used to use that color.

It hurts my eyes now, stop using it.

Rats in RL don't fling poop at you.

Techno Forever!!!

Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:18 pm
Profile E-mail YIM
Site Admin / Dev Team

Well, Jey just found and fixed a bug in the code that was doing this tweak and now we just doubled the server frame rate. Liberty is running at 33 fps this very moment.

Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:45 am
Profile WWW

Team: Dark Traders
Main: enkelin
Level: 3002
Class: Speed Demon

Does this mean that the ROF cap is higher now?

(Bluenoser) Put your finger in your mouth and gag reflex should do the rest

Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:23 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team

The RoF cap is solidly at 10/s now, which is hard-coded in the game.

Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:19 pm
Profile WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next