It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 12:38 am

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Team: None
Main: Gamepro07
Level: 1818
Class: Seer

Post Re: Feedback Requested: Items vs. Skills
This borderlines "casting magic". I don't like it, even just replacing planetscanners and shipscanners, no. Those should be devices you have on your ship, in order to do a special task.

I like the current system, where if you don't have something on you, you'll have to go get it. What you bring to the fight, is what you have.

But giving the ability to suddenly cast things that we currently need to go and get if we don't already have it, makes the game just too easy. Magic, in itself, is supposed to make life easier.

This will also, depending on what gets replaced with skills, severely alter the gameplay, and toughness. I just can't agree, because I like how tough the game is, constantly a challange. Let's not make it easier by adding such "skills" instead of items.

Edit: And, to the long-time playing players in the game, this will just make it even easier for them. For the new players, it will remove the "Okay, what do I need in order to do this" concept, something that personally I loved.

Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:16 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: Eminence Front
Main: lord blaster
Level: 2473
Class: Berserker

Doesn't really make sense to remove scanners and make them into skills...I mean how would go about scanning a ship or planet without a scanner? Turn into Superman and use your X-ray vision?

Just shut the fuck up already.

Julian wrote:
if a gust of wind knocks you over in real life are you going to rage quit that to?

Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:35 pm

Main: =P
Level: 1042
Class: Shield Monkey

i dont like it... it reeks of magic!

Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:45 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: Dark Traders
Main: Getsuga Tenshou
Level: 1799

theblaster wrote:
Doesn't really make sense to remove scanners and make them into skills...I mean how would go about scanning a ship or planet without a scanner? Turn into Superman and use your X-ray vision?

Or scanners become a standard inbuilt on ships and you need nuerotraining to know how to access them and make them function?

Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:47 pm
Dev Team

Team: HAL
Main: HAL 9000
Level: 1002

Gamepro08 wrote:
This borderlines "casting magic". I don't like it, even just replacing planetscanners and shipscanners, no. Those should be devices you have on your ship, in order to do a special task.

I like the current system, where if you don't have something on you, you'll have to go get it. What you bring to the fight, is what you have.

But giving the ability to suddenly cast things that we currently need to go and get if we don't already have it, makes the game just too easy. Magic, in itself, is supposed to make life easier.

This will also, depending on what gets replaced with skills, severely alter the gameplay, and toughness. I just can't agree, because I like how tough the game is, constantly a challange. Let's not make it easier by adding such "skills" instead of items.

Edit: And, to the long-time playing players in the game, this will just make it even easier for them. For the new players, it will remove the "Okay, what do I need in order to do this" concept, something that personally I loved.

The reason why I specifically suggested scanners is because it is something that could be reasonably assumed to be part of the basic hardware on your ship. Sure, you can install some upgraded scanner like the ENIAC to let you scan for more advanced commodities, but shitty mid level scanners like the planet scanner x, y, z, etc. don't really add anything to the game besides a useless drop in the loot tables.

Another candidate item that I had considered to convert to a skill would be something like an afterburner. Basically in real life an afterburner just means you dump a whole lot of extra fuel in to go really fast, so to have it as a consumable tweak doesn't really make a lot of sense. Perhaps it could be converted to a skill that costs energy instead - maybe with a cooldown for balance purposes. Afterburner bonuses could even be added as a new stat for engines. Anyways these are just ideas, nothing is for certain, I'm just looking for feedback and new ideas from the players.

Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:31 pm

Team: Matrix
Main: Asmodeaan
Level: 282

HAL wrote:
Afterburner bonuses could even be added as a new stat for engines.

this is ungodly. i would love this. however i dislike the rest of the topic so far

Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:36 pm

Main: Jagur4
Level: 1459
Class: Speed Demon

I'm all for clearing the drop tables of a lot of nearly useless things.

Having something simple like scanners being built into a ship makes sense, but in terms of gameplay, I think it works if and only if you need to equip an item for more advanced scans like the eniac. There should still be some sort of cost to hull if nothing else, for have that capability.

As for this being a skill sink for endgame players, I don't really see this working for that. Mid-level players need to scan too. :roll:

Afterburners alone make sense to be incorporated into engines as a boost with a cooldown, as long as other tweaks are left alone and this has a significant effect on energy regen for the duration of a boost. Even then, being fundamentally unlimited seems a bit problematic to me.

*edit* afterthought, if the "built-in scanners" had a power as a function of one's radar, then I think I could get on board with this.

Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:18 pm

Main: Demiser of D
Level: 20
Class: None

Going further on what I said earlier, it would be really cool if 1] every 5 levels of seer, you could microwarp a little bit further.

Same thing for micro-warp capbilities, maybe warping an additional 100 distane per level.

Battlecruiser23 wrote:
Fuck you, Cygnus.

Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:40 pm

Team: Strawberry Pancakes
Main: Turbinia
Level: 3112
Class: Speed Demon

no to burners, just because i know everyone will be spamming like crazy if they can.

Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:46 pm

Team: Strawberry Pancakes
Main: Trevor50
Level: 4503

Quote:
maybe with a cooldown for balance purposes

Reading is fun!

Stay strong, live long, and walk humbly.

Strawberry Blueberry Pancakes

Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:48 pm
Profile E-mail

Main: Gamepro07
Level: 1818
Class: Seer

HAL wrote:
Gamepro08 wrote:

The reason why I specifically suggested scanners is because it is something that could be reasonably assumed to be part of the basic hardware on your ship. Sure, you can install some upgraded scanner like the ENIAC to let you scan for more advanced commodities, but shitty mid level scanners like the planet scanner x, y, z, etc. don't really add anything to the game besides a useless drop in the loot tables.

Another candidate item that I had considered to convert to a skill would be something like an afterburner. Basically in real life an afterburner just means you dump a whole lot of extra fuel in to go really fast, so to have it as a consumable tweak doesn't really make a lot of sense. Perhaps it could be converted to a skill that costs energy instead - maybe with a cooldown for balance purposes. Afterburner bonuses could even be added as a new stat for engines. Anyways these are just ideas, nothing is for certain, I'm just looking for feedback and new ideas from the players.

I don't know... Honestly I liked the game because there was no "easy way".

But if you guys aren't going too much farther than scanners, basic scanners to be upgraded with ENIACs and whatnot like you said, then I guess fine.

But like, even with the afterburner idea of yours, I thought "oh, that is so cool" and then realized "of course it is, it would make my life as SD even easier." I know that's just an idea, but you see how I react against something new, some "magic" based skill, even something this simple. So I'm pretty wishy washy about it, but I still don't exactly understand if this is neccessary, or would make things better, as I feel it would just make things easier, for better or worse I don't know.

But no magic missle. Please for the love of god.

Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:36 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: Aidelon
Main: DragonGod (Slaver)
Level: 1504
Class: Fleet Commander

When I first read this topic I was like, "OMGYAY, something to spend my SP on! And some removing crap from drop tables! Hooray!"

But then I actually considered some of this stuff.

As Jagur pointed out:
Jagur4 wrote:
As for this being a skill sink for endgame players, I don't really see this working for that. Mid-level players need to scan too. :roll:

This is the first thing I thought as I went over this in my head. Removing scanners from the game and replacing them with a skill would create an SP sink not only for higher level players, but middies who build bases and also need to drop SP into Class and Core skills. This could potentially cause a devide: "Level your skills or build bases. It's too hard to do both!"

I also have to agree with Gamepro:
Gamepro08 wrote:

"Casting magic" rather defeats the technological aspect of SS. For me, this game is all about combining "gear" with "skills and classes" and your own personal "skills" to come up with something that works for you. While not removing the "gear" aspect, this would rather limit it.

However, I can agree with certain abilities of certain items being unlocked through the use of skills. The afterburner idea, for instance could add a bit more tactical thinking to the game. Such things as adding a skill that boosts your shield regen for a short time at the cost of energy with a cooldown attatched, or the same for electricity at the cost of shield, or a boost in speed at the cost of energy.

Little things added as abilities to items through skills I can agree with.

Replacing items like planet/credit/ship scanners with skills I cannot agree with.

Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:04 pm
Profile YIM

Team: Resident Evil
Main: Time Warp
Level: 3162

If this implemented, make it so seers get bonuses to Planet, Ship, and Base Scanners. They are recon after all?

Sybir wrote:
I dont like this idea at all, its make ss more like other mmo rpgs where all u can do is launch skills.
Its S-F game after all, not fantasy
I say no to all non cybernetic/mechanic devices and scanning planets with power of ur will.

I really like it old, cumbersome way to go.

Although, I reall have to agree with sybir here.

The only bonus I see to this being implemented is not doing a 10 Level DG and only getting a Planet Scanner Z.

Time Warp

~Oscar Wilde

andezrhode2a wrote:
Timmeh is the exception to every rule.
Battlecruiser23 wrote:
/Timmeh!
I mean /signed!
sabre198 wrote:
1. Create C2
2. Time Warp quits
3. New players join
4. ... Profit?!?

Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:22 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: Dark Traders
Main: Kyp
Level: 2610
Class: Engineer

ooh, i know! just take out all the planet scanner xyz's to clear the loot tables!! know why this works? cuz armada planet scanner is better imo anyways.... any objections? put em in an ai base if you really want to, but they are absolutely not worth getting as a drop ever ever ever ever ever ever.

Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:37 pm

Main: Demiser of D
Level: 20
Class: None

I like Z's better than armada planetscanners >.>

Battlecruiser23 wrote:
Fuck you, Cygnus.

Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:56 pm
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next