It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 5:45 pm

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Dev Team

Team: HAL
Main: HAL 9000
Level: 1002
Class: Berserker

Post Feedback Requested: Items vs. Skills
Currently our game design relies heavily on items to do tasks. For example, if you want to scan a planet, you get a planet scanner and use it on the planet. What I propose is that we take some of these items, remove them as items and reimplement them as skills that require skill points to train. In Client 2, skills, like items, would be placed in the hotkey slots and activated.

Examples: remove planet scanners, ship scanners, credit scanners. Replace them with Planet Scanning, Ship Scanning, and Credit Scanning skills, with subskills to improve range, etc. of the scans. This lets us remove a lot of extraneous items from the loot tables, and gives higher levels more places to spend their skill points.

Potentially having an item on board would improve your base skills, so for example we can get rid of basic planet scanners, but leave the ENIAC scanners in the game to boost your scanning power to find high level rare commodities.

Basically I'm looking for some player feedback on both the general concept of this system, and what specific item types players would want to see converted.

Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:43 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team

Team: Eminence Front
Main: PhoenixSun2
Level: 1392
Class: Shield Monkey

Post Re: Feedback Requested: Items vs. Skills
Note the two biggest points here:
1. Clear the loot tables of endless items that you don't need and can't sell
2. Add a small skill sink for higher level players

Also would make it so you don't have to remember to transfer/equip a ton of items from ship to ship as they would be skill associated with your character instead.

Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:47 pm

Team: Strawberry Pancakes
Main: Trevor50
Level: 4503

I like it.

Stay strong, live long, and walk humbly.

Strawberry Blueberry Pancakes

Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:49 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: None
Main: Demiser of D
Level: 20
Class: None

For credit scanning and ship scanning, it sounds brilliant...Nobody actually carries these things around atm anyway, so having them not take any hull space would be an excellent addition. Im uncertain about planet scanners, though, because I seem to miss so many uni resets i rarely need to use them.

It seems to me, however, that most people dont bother scanning a planet with medium scanning power scanners. If they're scanning for basic materials and suitability, they dont need a medium powered scanner. And if they're scanning for High teir commods, they're going to scan it with an ENIAC...there's no use atm for medium teir planetscanners.

Just a thought.

Battlecruiser23 wrote:
Fuck you, Cygnus.

Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:52 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team

Main: PhoenixSun2
Level: 1392

Demiser of D wrote:
For credit scanning and ship scanning, it sounds brilliant...Nobody actually carries these things around atm anyway, so having them not take any hull space would be an excellent addition. Im uncertain about planet scanners, though, because I seem to miss so many uni resets i rarely need to use them.

It seems to me, however, that most people dont bother scanning a planet with medium scanning power scanners. If they're scanning for basic materials and suitability, they dont need a medium powered scanner. And if they're scanning for High teir commods, they're going to scan it with an ENIAC...there's no use atm for medium teir planetscanners.

Just a thought.

Sounds to me like you're saying that we should indeed remove planetscanners as an item since the medium ones (the ones that currently drop) aren't even used. This way you just get the skill and then carry the Eniac when you need deeper scanning.

Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:54 pm

Team: Dark Traders
Main: Getsuga Tenshou
Level: 1799

That sounds spectacular, I would like to see it for fighter and missle bays too... Its near impossible to find the ones you need when you need them unless you get super lucky. Maybe even with solar panels, I see alot of applications :D Thumbs up to HAL cuz he is the man with the plan.

EDIT: maybe not solar panels, Would hate to lose my little bonuses from them its just annoying having to transfer half, then half of the other half, then the rest to my zerker.

Last edited by LethalLoki on Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:59 pm

Team: Eminence Back
Main: t-master
Level: 2037

I think that micro warpers should be converted to skills

Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:01 pm
Profile E-mail

Main: Sybir
Level: 1788

I dont like this idea at all, its make ss more like other mmo rpgs where all u can do is launch skills.
Its S-F game after all, not fantasy
I say no to all non cybernetic/mechanic devices and scanning planets with power of ur will.

I really like it old, cumbersome way to go.

Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:02 pm
Profile E-mail

Main: Demiser of D
Level: 20
Class: None

Removing fighter and missile bays would be dumb...how are you going to get them outside of your ship?

"Battle Station! Battle Station!"

"Man your Fighters, men!"

"Uhh....how are we supposed to get out to the fight!?"

"It's ok! Cygnus is going to send outside with the power of his MIND!"

-_^

PWI's should likewise be MOSTLY item based. EXCEPT for seers, when they reach level 20 in their skill, they should be able to do the equivalent of their seer only PWI without actually having it on their ship.

Battlecruiser23 wrote:
Fuck you, Cygnus.

Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:08 pm

Team: Dark Traders
Main: Getsuga Tenshou
Level: 1799

Yeah ok fighter and missle bays might have been a dumb idea, but this idea as a whole is not so unsci-fyee... you think in the future when we master space exploration we wouldnt have these scanners inbuilt on all ships if not in our brains? You cant get anything more sci-fi-ish.

Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:34 pm

Main: Sybir
Level: 1788

inbuilt in ships may be but I dont like the skill idea, so copycating of all other mmorpgs ;/

Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:39 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: Strawberry Pancakes
Main: FracOMac
Level: 3361
Class: Engineer

Personally, I dont like it. Imo it would remove part of what makes SS feel unique.

Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:49 pm

Team: Heaven
Main: Kangaroo_blob
Level: 3102

I don't like it myself.

I love skills that improve it, but I prefer the way it is now.

Kanga

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:59 pm

Main: yugioh
Level: 1854
Class: Fleet Commander

If you do this, please don't just suddenly take out all the items. Give the playerbase a grace period of a uni, or something, so people can train these skills BEFORE the items are all removed. As to whether or not it should be done, I think that it could be nice in the future, but for now it would be a bad idea.

It would be nice to not have to carry all that crap around with you, but bad DG drops exist for a reason. If you got something nice everytime you went DGing, the SS economy would sink still further, if that's even possible at this point. It also seems somewhat pointless, as it is pretty easy to just carry a scanner with you, and there are a ton of far more important things for admins to be doing than making more unneeded changes.

Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:03 pm

Main: Tech9
Level: 1923
Class: Engineer

/me stares at his mountain of SP and PScanner Z's...

Go ahead, I like the concept, particularly the notion of essentially having "customisable" scanners.

Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:02 pm
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next