It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 6:44 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Team: Sheilds
Main: Apper
Level: 1724
Class: Engineer

Post Re: May 4th, 2009 - Dev update 13
i gotta agree with lone wolf. can you imagine if everyone had to start from scratch in nexus with AI base gear only? how would people get any lvl 20 skills? can you imagine doing MS with only AI base ship/gear? i really think the ubers are fine as they are, and its just a matter of adding new ones, new skills, and new things to build. i think the hives are a step in the right direction. in response to the guy who complained he's not of use to the team, if he's a zerker and the team doesn't require his dps to do a run, he should find a shm buddy and do his own.

-apper

Wed May 06, 2009 1:33 am
Darth Administrator

Team: Admins
Main: The Voomy One
Level: 1337
Class: Sniper

Skill ubers may be somewhat fine as they are. Serengeti is far from fine.

Wed May 06, 2009 2:24 am

Team: Strawberry Pancakes
Main: Biggee
Level: 2163

The Voomy One wrote:
Skill ubers may be somewhat fine as they are. Serengeti is far from fine.

True that. UZ can be 2 manned... with more than 1 combination of classes.

anilv wrote:
Try again when you have a doctorate in mathematics, grasshopper. I'll be pulling rank until then.

Bonecrusher wrote:
I'm a professional whiner.

Wed May 06, 2009 2:40 am
Profile E-mail YIM

Team: The Forgotten Colonies
Main: Llessur
Level: 2808

I totally agree with lone wolf.

That poor person who thought he was useless to his team because he was a zerker or a monkey has better look at other reasons why he is not wanted.

It is quite possible for smaller groups to do some of the ubers but that just means that there can be two team runs instead of one.

Doing uber runs is good for the game. If the bosses are too tough, requiring several players, runs just dont happen, people get frustrated and leave.

Right now our team chat is full of frustrated players wanting to do runs and being frustrated as getting a big enough squad is too damn hard.

Wed May 06, 2009 5:09 am
Profile E-mail YIM

Team: Eminence Front
Main: Don Juan
Level: 717
Class: Berserker

I agree with lonewolf too in a way. I don't think it's wise to update and beef current content based on the power of players. Rather, I think new content should be added that's tougher than the current content.

Take Everquest as an example (the first major MMORPG I played). Instead of beefing the original dragons and tough dungeons, they added the expansion Kunark. Getting stronger in Kunark made the old world content easier to do. Then they added Velious which was really damned tough, and old world content got even easier.

That's just the natural progression. The plus side is that new players never have to worry about not being good enough to do old world content. The down side is that older players had no real reason to do old world content, and it required development of new expansions.

Consider adding new content before beefing current content, or SS will wind up in that cycle where newer players just can't catch up.

Wed May 06, 2009 5:18 am

Main: yugioh
Level: 1854
Class: Fleet Commander

Holycannoli wrote:
I agree with lonewolf too in a way. I don't think it's wise to update and beef current content based on the power of players. Rather, I think new content should be added that's tougher than the current content.

Take Everquest as an example (the first major MMORPG I played). Instead of beefing the original dragons and tough dungeons, they added the expansion Kunark. Getting stronger in Kunark made the old world content easier to do. Then they added Velious which was really damned tough, and old world content got even easier.

That's just the natural progression. The plus side is that new players never have to worry about not being good enough to do old world content. The down side is that older players had no real reason to do old world content, and it required development of new expansions.

Consider adding new content before beefing current content, or SS will wind up in that cycle where newer players just can't catch up.

Problem is, nothing is tough atm. Emperor Shaddam Kilrathi IV, the supposed toughest boss in-game, is killed regularly, with many teams having multiple groups to get in more kills per lockout. The big games, like EQ II and WoW, can churn out new content faster than players can thoroughly overdo it.

Wed May 06, 2009 7:21 am

Main: Don Juan
Level: 717

Yeah that's the problem here. Not enough new endgame content forces devs to beef existing content in order to keep up with the endgame players, and that makes newer players perpetually lag behind. When they're finally able to take on what is currently endgame content, it will have been beefed to the point where they're unable to take it on.

It would just create a wider and wider gap between players who are already endgame and newer players who will never quite reach it.

Wed May 06, 2009 7:38 am

Team: Death Mental
Main: ashta the 2nd
Level: 2942

They will join bigger teams and those teams will let them tag along on runs and they will gain experience from doing so. An endgame setup is just about earning the money to buy it outright and any1 is capable of doing that so as long as you play the game properly. There is no barrier stopping new players eventually catching up with current end game players, although it will take a while in some cases which is how it should be.

Wed May 06, 2009 1:08 pm

Team: PrimalDecus
Main: Uth Matar
Level: 2466

I thought about it more and you are making huge mistake Pip . Concentrate on c2 and new UZ you are making and make that one super Uber - YOu are getting game stapes back when instead making steps to add/make something new you are making old things harder . If oyu put so much effort and thought and work into c2 and new UZ etc ... as much as you put into rebalanced and 2 complete new skill trees . YOu told youll make the game better for all of us with changing the skill mechanics adn gear strength and look 1 moth into shiny new uber uni you still have same problem and guess what you cant make players any weaker so youll make Ubers more complicated!!! Look you have half of the player base playing with same content for years now - WE WILL BRAKE all variations you make with the same old gear ! You changed aug stacking (that is huge nerf) into what we have now and we are still breaking it ! Honestly the moment you menage to broken us into submission is the moment when you lose us - That will be the moment you will make this game unplayable !

So the only real thing you can do - Leave things as we have them now ( maybe beef UZ jsut a little ) so all those new ppl that started playing the game cna still see it and hurry with new UZ and beef her and then (or at the same time) work on c2 and then just game maintenance and new content creation ... Why did you make those famous balance sheets if they are worthless so fast ???

And no way that 3 characters ( all in UZ ships or equally worth ship+ ) with all best gear for that class available doing Half of UZ is sigh that something is broken ! Most of top 10 teams are only 5-10 ppl! Weaker teams are even less or more ppl with crappy gear !

FREDOM FOR WING4+ !!! NOW !!! /viewtopic.php?f=4&t=28872&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
The Voomy One :Uth Matar is correct!

Wed May 06, 2009 1:12 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team

Main: PhoenixSun2
Level: 1392
Class: Shield Monkey

Uth Matar wrote:
Lots of stuff...

First off, I'm not sure why you're addressing me directly since that stuff was posted by others, I'm just the messenger. Secondly, we're not spending time on the ubers, at least not what is mentioned in the first post. We're just putting back capacitors on them so they are as strong as they were before.

Our plan is and has always been to release new content once its created. We're trying to coordinate the launch of the new UZ and content with C2 into an "expansion" of sorts, mostly for marketing reasons.

Wed May 06, 2009 1:21 pm

Team: PrimalDecus
Main: Uth Matar
Level: 2466

That sounds great , Im addressing you cos you are messenger - they always get into trouble :) ! And you do have a say on Dev meetings so you can pass my message along . I agree UZ bosses should be stronger but plz stop trying to compete with us in this way give us new toys to play with and make it like Hive ( after 3 days in game she got beefed and now she is challenge) Something new you can beef right away if it proves to strong not making same old content stronger and stronger ... I really love this game and i worried for the path it is on . Thx for listening

What will those cap do to UZ bosses ?

FREDOM FOR WING4+ !!! NOW !!! /viewtopic.php?f=4&t=28872&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
The Voomy One :Uth Matar is correct!

Wed May 06, 2009 3:02 pm

Team: Death Mental
Main: ashta the 2nd
Level: 2942

NOOOOOO dont cap baron its fun one shotting him :D

Wed May 06, 2009 3:36 pm
Content Dev

Team: none
Main: The Golden Orb
Level: 3
Class: None

I have beefed the vicar quite a bit and halved the build time. However he will require an additional periodic commod. Nothing difficult or expensive though.

He is ready for the next patch.

Wed May 06, 2009 4:15 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: None
Main: Si's_Yes_Man
Level: 2266
Class: Fleet Commander

LoneWolf wrote:
Keeping ubers a challenge is one thing however..

1) We need more content added into the game, eventually it'll come bringing with it new ships, higher tech weapons, higher tech augs, higher tech ubers.
2) There's always going to be a difficulty scale that gets easier with old content and harder with new.

When there used to only be a couple ubers in the game, back then, sputty, scorch, rackham and marco those were damn hard and they took a huge amount of people to do. Over the course of time new content was added, ubers were changed around, people got better ships, many times higher tech became available.

What happens though is this:

If you always balance all main ubers for the end game section of the player base then none of the new players will ever stand a chance until they reach the same "level" as the current end game players.

If they don't get on a high end team by the time they do reach that level the content will have already moved on and the ubers that they could have done will have been rebalanced to be many times harder.

There are issues involved, namely high end players going in and killing ubers quickly and stocking up on loots however at times I'm not sure if this is really a problem.

We have lockouts and while there is still room for it to hurt the market the lock out system does work quite well for the ubers that are of concern.

I honestly think we should be adding more content and progress with the game instead of pushing 1% ahead in content amount and then beefing the last 30% because the 1% has gotten slightly better at killing it. Way to ruin it for new players.

i totally agree with all of this.
to enhance this point i want you to read his post again.

Wed May 06, 2009 4:49 pm

Team: Strawberry Pancakes
Main: Trevor50
Level: 4503
Class: Shield Monkey

Yep.

Stay strong, live long, and walk humbly.

Strawberry Blueberry Pancakes

Wed May 06, 2009 4:57 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next