It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 3:22 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Localization support useful?
Yes 58%  58%  [ 61 ]
No 41%  41%  [ 43 ]
Total votes : 104

Team: Zephyr
Main: thebeast
Level: 2787
Class: Gunner

Post Re: Question - Client 2 - Localization
I personally think Localization is a great idea, it will widen the player base. To fix the issue with chat as english only you can add a note at the end of the tutorial (or anywhere that it can be seen) asking players to use english in the main chat channels. As said before, u can start with major languages, such as German, French and Spanish, then add a link on the site to download patch files for any other languages that a player might speak or want to play the game in. Once again, I think localization is an outstanding idea.

Tue May 12, 2009 1:43 pm
Profile E-mail

americans nor an yother person should be forced to learn a foriegn language if u wanna come to my country u learn my language lol seriously if i was going to goto mexico or move to another coutnry i would learn thier language

Tue May 12, 2009 10:34 pm

Team: Eminence Front
Main: Myrtok
Level: 1620
Class: Speed Demon

Dragontvb wrote:
americans nor an yother person should be forced to learn a foriegn language if u wanna come to my country u learn my language lol seriously if i was going to goto mexico or move to another coutnry i would learn thier language

What is your native language?

HAL wrote:
You are greedy and ignorant, you can't have everything in life for free.

Wed May 13, 2009 3:55 am

english

Thu May 14, 2009 12:59 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team

Main: PhoenixSun2
Level: 1392
Class: Shield Monkey

Dorin Nube wrote:
Dragontvb wrote:

What is your native language?

Dragontvb wrote:
english

They just didn't teach grammar, punctuation or spelling where he went to school.

Thu May 14, 2009 1:01 pm

Team: Zonura
Main: Takuhi
Level: 966
Class: Speed Demon

Dragontvb wrote:

You know that without learning other people's languages that there would be no such thing as world economy, the UN, NATO, no collaborative work between any nations and probably no computers.

The whole world works on the basis that we can communicate with each other. If we couldn't understand other languages, nothing would ever get done. It is true that a lot of other nations learn English, but Chinese is still the most widely spoken language in the world.

Also, as a general note, if you are so proud of the English Language...try to actually learn it first. Your grammar, spelling and punctuation is terrible. My 14 year old Dutch cousin can write better than that. If, however, you choose to write like that, then you are a complete idiot.

Thu May 14, 2009 1:38 pm

Team: None
Main: Demiser of D
Level: 20
Class: None

Actually, noone thinks about it, but the US foreign language policy is 110% brilliant. Possibly smarter than anything that has been done in the last...oh, 8 years or so. Actually, thats not hard to manage...whatever.

Anyway, i went to Germany for a month over the last summer, and i spoke all of 3 words in german...and i survived perfectly fine. ALL the officials spoke english. 75% of the restaurants had menu's in english, and the rest had a waiter that could speak english somewhat, to explain why ordering raw horse spleen was probably a bad idea for a first timer. If a German came to the US, they would be COMPLETELY unable to communicate, and the thing is...we know that! But think, when they talk to us, whose language are they speaking? By not learning to speak other languages, we have effectively turned english into the language of the world. in 100 years, who will exist that doesn't speak english? Darned few, i think. Brilliance, sheer brilliance.

Battlecruiser23 wrote:
Fuck you, Cygnus.

Thu May 14, 2009 3:16 pm

Main: Ivelios
Level: 2907
Class: Berserker

In 100 years we'll all speak Mandarin :P Though perhaps with scientific advances we could perfect translation technology to the point where you could communicate with anyone, anywhere without speaking a common language.

Drop it like it's hot
Drop it like it's hot

English Romantic poet John Keats.

Sat May 16, 2009 12:51 am

Team: Quantum Reach
Main: noob20825
Level: 853
Class: Engineer

I think localization is a great idea. I've seen people around that cannot speak English very well, as seen from their trade chat posts and conversations with me (I've met about 3-4 spanish speaking people, all of which have been very hard to trade with). I can only imagine how frustrated they were with me, and possibly the game.

I speak a little bit of Spanish, although am nowhere good enough to translate.

However, I've been living in the US for 8 years now, and English is my second language, Russian is my first. I'd love to help out with a Russian version, even if it will be a bit hard. (I have to disagree with Abdum the Great, it is possible to translate the game, since Russian seems to have more words that are used commonly).

Tue May 19, 2009 10:44 am
Profile E-mail

Team: Strawberry Pancakes
Main: Trevor50
Level: 4503

Ivelios wrote:
In 100 years we'll all speak Mandarin :P Though perhaps with scientific advances we could perfect translation technology to the point where you could communicate with anyone, anywhere without speaking a common language.

isnt this technology already at the United Nations meetings when they were the ear things? or is that an actual translator on the line?

Stay strong, live long, and walk humbly.

Strawberry Blueberry Pancakes

Tue May 19, 2009 11:09 am
Profile E-mail

Main: yugioh
Level: 1854
Class: Fleet Commander

trevor54 wrote:
Ivelios wrote:

isnt this technology already at the United Nations meetings when they were the ear things? or is that an actual translator on the line?

They have someone listening and translating for them, it isn't an artificial translator.

Tue May 19, 2009 11:19 am
Site Admin / Dev Team

Main: PhoenixSun2
Level: 1392

yugioh124 wrote:
trevor54 wrote:
Ivelios wrote:

They have someone listening and translating for them, it isn't an artificial translator.

Yep, its all manpower :)

Tue May 19, 2009 12:13 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7