It is currently Fri Jun 07, 2024 3:56 am

How does UDP work for you
I had no problems before and UDP seems fine 54%  54%  [ 27 ]
I had no problems before and UDP is worse 26%  26%  [ 13 ]
I was getting disconnects before but UDP fixes it 8%  8%  [ 4 ]
I was getting disconnects before and UDP makes it better, but still not totally fixed 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
I was getting disconnects before and UDP does not fix it 8%  8%  [ 4 ]
I was using Jey's tunnel and UDP without his tunnel fixes my disconnects 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I was using Jey's tunnel and UDP without his tunnel still has disconnects 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 50

Site Admin / Dev Team

Team: Admins
Main: Jeff_L
Level: 1028
Class: Sniper

Post Please test the UDP
With this last patch, we have re-enabled the UDP functionality for the client to talk to the server. Please everyone take the time to try this out. You can toggle whether or not you're using UDP in your options dialog. For those using Jey's tunnel, please don't try to use his tunnel with the UDP networking. You are our main audience with this and in theory, the UDP should prevent the Comcast disconnects.

Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:59 pm
Profile WWW

Team: Aidelon
Main: DragonGod (Slaver)
Level: 1504
Class: Fleet Commander

Post Re: Please test the UDP
I don't really see a lot of difference between the regular connection and the UDP connection, but I never really had much trouble with the regular one anyway. Haven't gone out and killed mass ammounts of AI yet, but that's on my list. Over all, it seems the same.

EDIT: Just got an odd bug. Looks like the UDP caused it. Sent in a ticket.

Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:16 pm
Profile YIM

Team: Aidelon
Main: Diabolus
Level: 1941
Class: Berserker

Location: Netherlands, Europe, Earth, Sol, Milky way, Universe, Admins computer
didn't really test it out, like getting into epic fights, but overall for UDP for some reason i got less lag, more fps

Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:00 pm

Team: Strawberry Pancakes
Main: Blade NZ
Level: 2675
Class: Berserker

with udp on and off ships teleport back and forth constantly but not by much now, idk if that was there before though maybe im just paying more attention than usual. No noticeable difference between the two, well for the moment anyway.

Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:46 pm

Team: Strawberry Pancakes
Main: Biggee
Level: 2163
Class: Engineer

With UDP, i was having a little worse lag, more desyncing. I don't have a problem without udp, so i'll just stick to that :)

anilv wrote:
Try again when you have a doctorate in mathematics, grasshopper. I'll be pulling rank until then.

Bonecrusher wrote:
I'm a professional whiner.

Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:51 pm
Profile E-mail YIM

Team: None
Main: Utumno
Level: 20
Class: None

Till now UDP looks fine (must test multiclienting yet); In the first Implementation I had some problems.
TCP was always working fine for me - no disconnects/ unusual desyncs.

I only get now (again) the bug there you get the ship you were last in on one alt enlisted in the ships list in the base on the other alt if you switch between alts (atm on same accounts) sometimes - not sure if it has anything to do with UDP but didn't see it quite for a while now.

Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:19 pm

Team: Zephyr
Main: Zaehlas
Level: 1777

OK, the only reason that I'm posting that UDP is worse (for me), is because I multi-client on the same computer. The system doesn't seem to be able to handle it, as once I log the second client, I got a STACK of UDP disconnect and reconnect messages. Only for UDP, though. As soon as I turned it off, stopped and restarted both clients, no lag, no problems.

Honestly, I'm not a good example. I was having no lag issue with or without UDP prior. Without UDP, I'm having no lag issues now (can run up to 3 clients, no problem, logging a fourth finally causes issues, mostly graphical lag)

Good work on it, honestly... it just has built in limitations, so that someone with a setup like mine can't take full advantage of it.

Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:28 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team

Team: Eminence Front
Main: PhoenixSun2
Level: 1392
Class: Shield Monkey

Zaehlas wrote:
OK, the only reason that I'm posting that UDP is worse (for me), is because I multi-client on the same computer. The system doesn't seem to be able to handle it, as once I log the second client, I got a STACK of UDP disconnect and reconnect messages. Only for UDP, though. As soon as I turned it off, stopped and restarted both clients, no lag, no problems.

Honestly, I'm not a good example. I was having no lag issue with or without UDP prior. Without UDP, I'm having no lag issues now (can run up to 3 clients, no problem, logging a fourth finally causes issues, mostly graphical lag)

Good work on it, honestly... it just has built in limitations, so that someone with a setup like mine can't take full advantage of it.

We are aware of this problem and you could turn one on UDP and one on TCP. We haven't had time to investigate the cause (probably port conflicts) but this will be fixed in the future for UDP.

Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:54 pm

Team: Zephyr
Main: Zaehlas
Level: 1777

I can give that a shot, however, I'm using the same executable, for ease of running the program. If I change the options in one, it changes all of them at the same time.

Without installing the game separately 3+ times (which as I'm working without UDP at the moment, I'd rather not do), I can't test the separate UDP/TCP functionality.

If this helps (or makes people twitch even more), I'm running under Linux using Wine. That's why I'd rather not do more than one install.

Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:07 pm

Main: Pure Evil
Level: 2837
Class: Shield Monkey

Yays no more lag, my service normally clogs up at night but this sorted it and made it playable again.

Hugs

Great work admins :D

Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:54 am
Profile E-mail

the UDP is fine when you're not dodging AI, but the desyncs and lag make things extremely difficult in combat.

Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:06 pm
Profile YIM

Main: norrath
Level: 1806
Class: Seer

Minaskosai wrote:
the UDP is fine when you're not dodging AI, but the desyncs and lag make things extremely difficult in combat.

Ive experienced an abnormally high amount of desyncs as well, not even dodging ai just flying around.

Julian cannot post, because the FBI are watching ;)

Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:42 pm

Team: Traders
Main: ERMAN
Level: 3306
Class: Speed Demon

I desync so much that I have to turn it off while killing picks with my excom...

-ERMAN

Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:00 pm
Profile WWW