It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 7:09 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next
Site Admin / Dev Team

Team: Admins
Main: Jeff_L
Level: 1028
Class: Sniper

Post Team headquarters, galaxy owning changes, and terraforming
We are looking to implement some changes in galaxy ownership as described here:

http://wiki.starsonata.com/doku.php?id= ... qandowning

We think that that will make PvP, BvB, and control of space much more strategic and interesting.

In order to let players still make lots of money in a more confined area of space, we will also be adding planetary building projects as described here:

http://wiki.starsonata.com/doku.php?id= ... g_projects

What do you guys think?

Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:53 pm
Profile WWW

Team: Traders
Main: AcidFlame
Level: 2658
Class: Speed Demon

Post Re: Team headquarters, galaxy owning changes, and terraforming
I don't like the idea of the new gal owning system, it means you cant own a really nice gal that you found thats too far away from your HQ. Also the uni wont be mapped so it would be hard to find out where your HQ is, and if you already laid bases thats on the other side of the map than you cant own that gal either. Or the HQ being placed in a part of the map where its bordering gals that cannot be owned.

Also i think building bases in other owned gals is going a bit extreme, i believe owning gals are a good defence from BvB

I like the second idea though

Last edited by AcidFlame on Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:05 pm

Team: Twilight
Main: Sailor Galaxia
Level: 1625
Class: Shield Monkey

I think these changes are absolutely awesome. Will we be seeing them this reset, or the uni after? :)

Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:06 pm

Main: Dusky
Level: 1636
Class: Berserker

These changes look awesome. It'll force people to make better use of the planets in their galaxy, and terraforming means you're not having to lower yourself to bad conditions. In short, it will give us a larger building map without actually making the uni map any larger.

Awesome changes. BvB is great fun too.

Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:19 pm

Team: Eminence Front
Main: yugioh
Level: 1854
Class: Fleet Commander

What's with the wiki? SS already has one, why make a new one, especially considering the fullness of the other one?

Anyway, the changes look pretty nice, now I may have a chance at a galaxy without being on the second the new uni starts.

Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:23 pm

I'm not really sure how much I like the idea of the headquarters thing. It might just lead to single player teams, leaves alot of room for exploitation and it'll just make the big teams stronger, since they've got alts all over the place, they'll drop a kit, tech up it and wipe out whole teams.

The premise is nice, but what i think is teams should get 3 or 4 councilors, and each one plus the leader get a special kit - 1 hq and 2-4 outposts. This would allow clustering, maybe link it to leadership skill level?

can you give us some more information about how and when this would happen? I see potential, but I really don't know if this would work as intended in its current form.

THe colony beefs look good, a bit expensive considering they would disappear on uni reset? does this apply to the 125% limit of CA, or would it be a bonus on top of that?

Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:38 pm

Team: Aidelon
Main: stargeneral
Level: 1963
Class: Engineer

Ah! i really disagree with these changes, it will make the biggest teams control almost everything, i believe and small-fairly big teams get lucky to have an HQ gal. the old way is just fine plz leave it :( however taht planetary ones could be very interesting, nice work with those.

Last edited by supersoccer on Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:45 pm
Dev Team

Team: HAL
Main: HAL 9000
Level: 1002
Class: Berserker

Quote:
I'm not really sure how much I like the idea of the headquarters thing. It might just lead to single player teams, leaves alot of room for exploitation and it'll just make the big teams stronger, since they've got alts all over the place, they'll drop a kit, tech up it and wipe out whole teams.

The balancing factor is that when on a team, you can work together to maximize resources in a galaxy, and you can expand your borders to either attack other teams or provide a defensive buffer for your own core systems. Territory will be an extremely important aspect of the new base and colony system, if you are on your own you run the very real risk of being isolated and attacked by a more organized force, and they don't have to face the repercussions of your team bases in other systems automatically attacking them back.

There will be plenty of good isolated systems or pockets of systems for the smaller teams, I expect most of the big teams will try to occupy areas closer to warp 3 in an attempt to complete a blockade against their (potential) enemies.

Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:47 pm

supersoccer wrote:
Ah! i really disagree with these changes, it will make the biggest teams control almost everything, i believe and small-fairly big teams get lucky to have an HQ gal. the old way is just fine plz leave it :( however taht planetary ones could be very interesting, nice work with those.

Quite the opposite I think you'll find really... remember, the big teams still only get 1 HQ, and have to wait at least half an hour before expanding from that.. if you can find yourself somewhere to put down a HQ, you can slowly edge your way out, and might even be able to edge you way out doing a bit of BvB / PvB ...

It's going to add so much strategy, so much excitement, so much... importance to things that were previously just a rush and a place bases wherever you can and hope.

Coming from a long-standing two-man team, these changes are exactly the sort of thing Star Sonata needs - a chance for the smaller guys to have a space and make a difference.

Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:50 pm

I just had a really good idea. Why not make protected galaxies more worthwhile, and then tie this idea to protected gals, instead of ownership? These changes would be very limiting and drastic, I'm really not sure it is in the best interests of the game tbh. still no idea on time before this is implemented? We need to know so we can plan, maybe even a test uni is called for???

Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:54 pm

Team: Aidelon
Main: MoneyMaker575
Level: 2314
Class: Engineer

i think its a dumb thing to do. that means that we wont get gals that we want we will get gals that are right there or not get one at all. and when it comes to wars it will really mess ppl up. if there is a person needing a skill really bad and there at war with another team how would they get it if the oposing team is blocking it. then they gotta wait til next uni to get it and even then it might be blocked again. and if they cant get skills they need and they cant do anything without the skill then they are screwed and will probably stop playing for a while and you guys will lose money that way.

Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:02 pm
Profile YIM

Team: Strawberry Pancakes
Main: Trevor50
Level: 4503

SS Becoming a PvP Game RIGHT ON!

Stay strong, live long, and walk humbly.

Strawberry Blueberry Pancakes

Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:11 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin / Dev Team

Team: Admins
Main: Jeff_L
Level: 1028
Class: Sniper

You will still be able to place bases in any unowned system, you just won't be able to own that system unless it is contiguous with your team's space.

I think the outpost idea is interesting. Maybe one per councilor.

Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:14 pm
Profile WWW

Maybe make them very limited too, like an outpost *only* extends to one galaxy, and you can't pass it on from there, rather than a HQ where you can extend infinitely.

Time scale Jeff! We all need to know :p

Last edited by iMatio on Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:19 pm

Team: Resident Evil
Main: gij
Level: 1828

It sounds pretty cool, but yeah there is the problem of not being able to own a galaxy thats not adjacent to your HQ or another one of your owned galaxies. A warning message could be put in place to warn you that the galaxy cant be owned. Also, when your team lays a HQ, make it so that your map maps the gals that form the fastest path to your HQ.

Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:23 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next