It is currently Sun Jun 23, 2024 2:30 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Team: Eminence Front
Main: Ivelios
Level: 2907
Class: Berserker

Post Re: HAL's January Update
HAL wrote:
These changes probably isn't going in without the rest of the rebalance.

Phew, that explains a lot :D

Drop it like it's hot
Drop it like it's hot

English Romantic poet John Keats.

Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:09 pm

Team: Dark Traders
Main: Max235
Level: 1821
Class: Seer

So we'll keep aug stacking atm ?

I loved the idea that ships have an inbuilt "dodging" ability" like 95% fighter and missiles, >75% LF, 50% HF, 25% freighter and 5-10% on capships.
it would balance that update.

(SD inside)

Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:35 pm

Team: The Unforeseen Colonies
Main: your mother and i
Level: 2647
Class: Speed Demon

with "dodging" I can see a lot of people getting "lucky" when shot at and I can also see some people dying just because they took a chance

why not just increase resist on all ships?

Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:20 am

Team: None
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 1203
Class: Shield Monkey

kunta wrote:
with "dodging" I can see a lot of people getting "lucky" when shot at and I can also see some people dying just because they took a chance

Best whine i have ever heard.

Increasing Resists on all ships is a great idea.

Also, give us a reason to use different ships like the Sidhe and the Tortoise.

Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:25 am
Profile E-mail YIM
Site Admin / Dev Team

Team: Eminence Front
Main: PhoenixSun2
Level: 1392
Class: Shield Monkey

MasterTrader wrote:
kunta wrote:

Best whine i have ever heard.

Increasing Resists on all ships is a great idea.

Also, give us a reason to use different ships like the Sidhe and the Tortoise.

I hope you're being sarcastic about the resists.

Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:48 pm

Problem is, would you only put dodging in for non targeted shots? Otherwise if you're going to put dodging in for *all accounts* regardless if you target a person or not.. It's going to be rather messy and a bit too rash of a change from the current system. More or less copying Eve if all targeted shots can be applied to a dodging modifier that isn't based on player skill.

Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:54 pm
Profile E-mail

Main: Stooch
Level: 1619
Class: Gunner

Dodging is a measure of a players skill and should stay that way.

But seriously... what about thoraxes and torpedoes etc? Will they be nullified by every hostile ship or just by the ship you have targetted?

Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:28 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: Death Mental
Main: ashta the 2nd
Level: 2942
Class: Berserker

yay i cant wait for this i hope that all the DMs drones get blown up very easily and that eventually DM becomes an extinct class cuz im sick of DMs being able to do everythng on this game and havin to follow them to places to kill ubers blah blah blah anyway this will make pvp a lot more fun especially the dodging of bullets we will see who are true SD when this comes out ie who can dodge bullets and who have no skills in class and just run away from bullets good job admins, the SD playerbase is already too crowded lets get rid of some of them and some of the DMs :) one thing tho.....snipers who dont have great shields and dont have particulary good speed are going to get raped very easily arent they? saying that i only know a few snipers and they get raped in seconds anyway so it isnt really an issue ;)

Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:09 pm

Team: Kami
Main: Paladinofdoom
Level: 1993
Class: Engineer

Please...fullstops ^^ hehe

Wanting a class to become extinct isn't really a good idea. They'll be used as a support role, as Jeff intended. (Engineers)

So...you say, basically 'Yay! SDs are more powerful! Yay!' but then go on to say 'But I want there to be less SDs'...so that you can be one of the few able to reap the benefits of being able to dodge effectively? Meh.

Anyway...The idea isn't that a class becomes extinct, but that it comes into a different role.

Could HAL / pip please tell us what is happening regarding stealth classes and the incoming change to how targeting works? I've not noticed an answer on this topic...I shall go back and check incase I missed one.

Quote:
You say that drones will regen in your ship, what is the time it takes then for the drones to regen, and how do you work out when to redeploy them, not knowing if there regened back to full shields. The other stuff your going to implement into the game sounds ok.

Can we have an answer to this? I assume it will scale depending on the type of drone, and how badly harmed it is.

- The Paladin -

This guy gets my full Jiggle!

He is full of awesomesauce, and Jigglyness, buy from him!

Kanga

Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:23 pm

vampire2948 wrote:
Can we have an answer to this? I assume it will scale depending on the type of drone, and how badly harmed it is.

- The Paladin -

As far as I recall every drone will fully regen shields and energy in 60 seconds. Unfortunately the link to that part of the wiki where it was first stated is broken, so I can't be 100% sure.

- DW

Thats because we want everyone to quit, so we have no customers and will starve!

Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:55 pm

Team: Strawberry Pancakes
Main: Turbinia
Level: 3112
Class: Speed Demon

Just from what i have read i think that there may need to be a system in place for drones and slaves so that they don't get hit by every shot in the galaxy. Obviously neither one has dodging capabilities atm so i think maybe some recourse such as half damage to incidental impacts to these targets or something should be looked into as even argo managing will not be enough now.

Not really against this update just would like to see the issue of balance in the classes looked into with more depth on this update, and not just relegate capships right away to some sort of wall.

Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:05 pm

MagicSteve wrote:
Just a couple of things.

Now we can kill without targetting the opponent, can you make it so that you can hold down spacebar and keep shooting even if you didnt have something targetted in the first place. This would allow zerkers to spray excomms etc

Thoraxe, fists and torpedoes: Will they be nullified by every hostile target? If so then congratulations for making them completely useless.

Stooch, have you ever pressed the T key while holding down the space bar and then released both while a distant object was targetted?

Admins please reply to this next question.
If I target a distant asteroid, wormhole or planet, an item so distant there is no chance I would hit it, will my shots hit any ai's in the path? Additionally, will any non-squaded players who get in the way be hit or will this only apply to ai's, safety off pvp and a war situation?

I played beta on Subspace. Clans would claim a "frequency." I forget the command string... it's been a decade since I played it... but it was essentially Setfreq #8788 or some such. Anything not on your freq was a valid target. It worked fine there. Granted, you collected "Greens", powerups, rather than amass a fortune to support your weapon needs.

I have been playing for a year now. Roughly 8 months p2p in that time. I haven't spent billions upon billions on setups and have been less than diligent in my leveling. I spend a good amount of time bored with the game. Other than the difficulty levels and the graphics for the ai's the gameplay is the same. Shoot and scoop. Maybe die once in a while. I am looking forward to these changes. I think they will add a new dimension to a game that is, to be quite frank, a bit stagnant with what it offers. New roles will be needed. Current roles will be expanded. Please give it time.

Market

As an aside, I wonder how many of the people who are opposing these changes either voted for or supported from afar, the agent of change, PEBO. That would be an interesting statistic to compile.

Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:45 am
Profile E-mail

Main: Si's_Yes_Man
Level: 2266
Class: Fleet Commander

i think that many good points against the "hit everything in path" suggestion have been raised. Bana just plain being broken by a ship sitting on everyone is not a good thing. Drones, fighters, and slaves being slaughtered because every stray bullet will hit them regardless of the skill involved in the player. Stealth players being shot just by "spray and pray". Fighting the regen of 8 clumped ai instead of the regen of just the ai you are firing at. Base pulses being completely lethal in any situation. Capital ships automatically becoming the meatshield whether they like it or not, only due to their size. Any large group of multifiring dg ai automatically becomes a failure of aggression control.

There have only been a few suggestions about how to deal with these major flaws, and many of those fixed bring up even more flaws in my opinion.

Introducing a miss factor into shots seems to me like it removes a lot of the skill dependence and instead places more emphasis on luck in determining the outcome of any fight. Decreasing shield bank and increasing resists on capital ships kind of defeats the whole purpose of the huge size of the cap ship in the first place: the large shield and energy capacitors.

I understand that changing the game can be fun when theres a new idea, but just think about how all these things are affected and how very large these problems are. Please try to factor that into what you see as a feature that will add a new dimension, before reaching a final decision.

-Simon

Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:03 am

Team: Aidelon
Main: goldstar-stations
Level: 2020
Class: Engineer

i dunno why this has to be explaned by anybody.. hal was VERY clear on this point.
Hal wrote:
Combat Mechanics
Weapon projectiles and laser beams will now hit any hostile target in their path. This will open up a whole new realm of combat possibilities, such as using a tanked capital ship to protect team mates in light fighters.

if it attacks you its hostile. if you have attacked it, its hostile... if this has to be explained again when its such a simple mechanic.. I will start getting hostile..

if you havnt attacked the thing, its not attacked you or your team mates recently its NOT HOSTILE..its NEUTRAL. and your shots will pass right over like they do now if you shoot over something that isnt targeted.

admins didnt make it more complicated, they made it less...you just want to make it more complicated then it is or really has to be. :P oootay?

Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:16 am

Main: Stooch
Level: 1619
Class: Gunner

MarketForces wrote:
Stooch, have you ever pressed the T key while holding down the space bar and then released both while a distant object was targetted?

Have you ever had nothing targetted and held down space bar to get continuous firing? No? I didnt fucking think so. Now stop being a smart ass.

Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:21 am
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next