It is currently Sun Jun 23, 2024 2:26 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next

Post Re: Prevent "corpse camping"?
trevor54 wrote:
I wasn't even thinking about having multiply accounts, this way this solves very little. I can just log onto my seer, kill him, go get my zerker kill him, go get my SD kill him, and then my Shm with slaves and kill him!

this perfectly presents why the griefing option and attempting to prevent it is crap
as voomy said, logging off the game isnt good because it makes people stop playing
the way I see it, the best course of action would be to have the grief system for midrange and lower players (750-800 and below) but leave it off completely for higher ups,
Higher up players should understand game mechanics, and need to accept the risks associated with the game
that and add more tow stations because spiriting to the home gal takes too much of their precious time

I think its bullshit that EF/SP destroyed my entire team, but I cant kill them more then once because of some stupid rule that says I cant, even though what ever they may lose is minuscule compared to their team's inherent wealth, or the money that my team could've made had it not been killed

When you get to a certain level
the idea of "Griefing" should no longer apply
since you are given a wide range of options to prevent it from happening in the first place

Last edited by Neba on Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:08 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: Eminence Front
Main: Radia
Level: 1101
Class: Speed Demon

Make spirits faster?
Lower Tow Cost
Add more tow stations.
Make sure lower level players know and understand what towing is.

After that is finished, see how much more needs to be done.

No Context. Ever.
Idaten.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:18 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin / Dev Team

Team: Admins
Main: Jeff_L
Level: 1028
Class: Sniper

The protection could apply to all chars on an account, so if you want to log into a different char to kill someone again, you'd need to at least pay for a second account to do it.

Also, what if the protection time was inversely proportional to a players level? Say, for example, a killed person is protected from his killer for 24 hours * 100 / (level + 100).

Another option would be to just go with a straight up PvP flag which is defaulted to "off". This flag wouldn't apply in any galaxy where you or your team holds bases, and would not protect trade slaves, perma drones, or bases.

I feel like the fundamental conflict in this issue is that, as a game where you can take and occupy real estate, there *has* to be PvP, otherwise whoever builds the bases first can just squat there without having to defend them, or whoever gets the trade slaves going on a particular trade route can just leave them there all uni with little thought or protection. But PvP in a PvE area is almost always asymmetric and is one person bullying another.

I do think that WoW does it really well (apart from the fact that you can't build bases there) in that there are PvE places where there is no non-consensual PvP, and then there are PvP places where everyone is choosing to be there, and the focus is on PvP. Our problem is that a person can be trying to do PvE and then get PvP'd against his will, which isn't fun, and unless it's an isolated incident, can ruin the game. I don't disagree with the idea in general of piracy, and "perilous being perilous", but we need to find some way of either allowing for that in a way that doesn't ruin the game for people or else physically separate out PvP and PvE.

(I also do agree theoretically with Churchill that making a total loss system like in Eve would also work, but I think it's too far from where we are now and would be too big a change. I also don't personally prefer that sort of system.)

The only two realistic solutions I can think of would be either some kind of PvP or protection flag like I'm talking about in this thread, or else to strictly separate layers out into PvP and non-PvP, only allowing building in PvP layers, and moving all PvE content into strictly non-PvP layers. Pirates would then have to roam the buildable layers looking for people, but would then have to contend with hostile bases.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:26 pm
Profile WWW

Team: Traders
Main: Murasame
Level: 2561
Class: Berserker

That would just ruin piracy, who would go hunt ppl where bases are?

Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:32 pm
Profile E-mail

if this system is implemented,
there should be bvb restrictions too, only laying one base based on the 24 hours (1440 minutes) * 100 / (Mode Base level + 100)
because bvb is the worse kind of griefing
but its overlooked for some reason
its like comparing the holocaust (extermination) to a synagogue shooting (isolated incident) and then saying that the synagogue shooting was worse

sorry for the bad metaphor but I couldn't think of anything else to compare it to. sure they're both bad, but its completely overlooked for some reason
and the fact that I cant kill someone till I get stuff is unnerving when they had already taken so much from me

Last edited by Neba on Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:36 pm
Profile E-mail

Voom I recently had a ticket open and you anwsered it. You said all is fair and i can still do content even with SP and EF and TL camping ef sanct and ef perilous.Yet now your saying it is bropken and there is a issue so why you telling me there aint a issue and to deal with it then kissing ass here? Something does need to be added for the sake of the game.I will use our fight as a example currently if i try to do any ubers in ef perilous i cant i am seen in ef sanct die outside ef perilous and am camped.Timberwolf and guaso camped me for well over 30 mins the other day.
Not everyone has hours to spend and when someone kills you and camps you alot of people have to log off and come back hours later.PVP is stoping people from geting anywere in this game.Someone on EF mentioned Pants kill him multi times in his scout ship wasting his time well how do you think i feel when EF does it to me?

Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:36 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: Resident Evil
Main: Aku'Qa
Level: 2620

General wrote:
Voom I recently had a ticket open and you anwsered it. You said all is fair and i can still do content even with SP and EF and TL camping ef sanct and ef perilous.Yet now your saying it is bropken and there is a issue so why you telling me there aint a issue and to deal with it then kissing ass here? Something does need to be added for the sake of the game.I will use our fight as a example currently if i try to do any ubers in ef perilous i cant i am seen in ef sanct die outside ef perilous and am camped.Timberwolf and guaso camped me for well over 30 mins the other day.
Not everyone has hours to spend and when someone kills you and camps you alot of people have to log off and come back hours later.PVP is stoping people from geting anywere in this game.Someone on EF mentioned Pants kill him multi times in his scout ship wasting his time well how do you think i feel when EF does it to me?

Shouldn't have gotten into a war.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:03 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: UnderDawgs
Main: FFs V
Level: 3006
Class: Shield Monkey

Visorak wrote:
Lower Tow Cost

NO....
All pants SDs and seers goes to sol to tow because it costs around 20-30m to tow,but rhinos and cap ships costs 1b? me no understandy, but it doesnt make sense.

The Voomy One wrote:
You gotta be shitting me >_<

Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:23 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: Strawberry Pancakes
Main: Trevor50
Level: 4503
Class: Shield Monkey

General wrote:

If you have not been a douche about the war, you are given the option of leaving pants and all PvP will cease to happen on you. There are tons of respectable teams out there. Go join one.

Stay strong, live long, and walk humbly.

Strawberry Blueberry Pancakes

Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:35 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: Strawberry Pancakes
Main: Biggee
Level: 2163
Class: Engineer

The formula Jeff posted is the best choice i think. A lvl 1 would receive almost a full 24hrs of protection, while a lvl 4k would receive about half an hour.

anilv wrote:
Try again when you have a doctorate in mathematics, grasshopper. I'll be pulling rank until then.

Bonecrusher wrote:
I'm a professional whiner.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:43 pm
Profile E-mail YIM

Team: BOSSEN
Main: UnpleasantPantsBulge
Level: 2092

There is no problem with it. They can't force you into your ship or anything so I see no problem.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:54 pm
Profile E-mail

UnpleasantPantsBulge wrote:
There is no problem with it. They can't force you into your ship or anything so I see no problem.

exactly
griefing is just an excuse to ban good players because of stupid players decisions

Last edited by Neba on Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:56 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: Aidelon
Main: goldstar-stations
Level: 2020

JeffL wrote:

The only two realistic solutions I can think of would be either some kind of PvP or protection flag like I'm talking about in this thread, or else to strictly separate layers out into PvP and non-PvP, only allowing building in PvP layers, and moving all PvE content into strictly non-PvP layers. Pirates would then have to roam the buildable layers looking for people, but would then have to contend with hostile bases.

Well we have places to pvp, the arena, inside UZ ect. I like the flags for two reasons, the first is that as much as piracy is fair if you can beat em off pirates dont go after strong foes. they go after newer players who are weaker and the changes coming down the line to make midrange gear more important will only amplify the difference between a new player and someone who has been around a little wile.

the second reason is to prevent abuse. how and why? I have seen situations arise where a team is at war with not one but multiple teams simultaneously. If one team cannot fight another 1v1 its not a war, its just the one with the most allies who wins, there is no contest in pvp battles. A flag system that relegates pvp to either a time when your "flag" is on or when you are at war is sensible and easier to balance. cap the number of teams you can be at war with at any given time, restrict pvp to flags and your issues go away.

Iv seen far less issues with pirates really than i have seen large alliances simply crushing anyone who objects or tries to be competition under insane weight of numbers. Teams were capped because of large teams doing this to smaller ones.. the situation really hasnt changed much.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:20 pm

Team: Psionic Corps
Main: The Crazy Game Maste
Level: 1031

Location: TARDIS, Time Vortex, Main Universe, Reality, Big Bang 2, Multiverse 1
Make pods and spirits maintain their speed through jumps. Increase both of these speeds at least 2x.

Some ideas I thought up, on top of that^:

Option 1: Person A kills person B. For a half an hour, they have their PVP range (to them only, they cannot attack using this but can be attacked) opened all the way, so they are attack able by anyone.

Option 2: When stasised, you have a button that tows you and your ship to the nearest towing station (MORE TOWING STATIONS EVERYWHERE NEEDED). The towing fee is given to the person who killed you. For a period of 24 hours, if you or a squad you are in kills that person, then you get your tow fee back, from their credits. Lower tow costs by a factor of 10.

Option 3: PVP Flag option. Needs to be activated. Once in this mode, you must be killed to get out of it by another person in this mode. In galaxies with bases, this flag is automatically on. Perilous space has this flag on at all times above DF300. Going back to your team HQ, if you activated this flag yourself, deactivates the flag. Your team must own at least 5 galaxies in order for this to work (to prohibit some tard laying a hq somewhere out of the way in w1 or w2 and being able to deactivate this flag). You have to have under 6 infamy in oder to get out of this flag mode. Otherwise, you cannot leave this mode and can be attacked by anyone, any time. Serengeti's first level will have this flag on all the time. Lyceum will NOT.

Option 4: All of the above.

Obviously, mutual war bypasses all of this. One way war does not. Bases bypass this, as do permanent drones. Trade slaves are protected by this except when not in team owned galaxies. Combat slaves of course follow the player's current state.

Might help, might not, either way those are my ideas.

JeffL wrote:
Maybe you guys are right. We can leave things how they are for now and get more feedback later.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:21 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: Zephyr
Main: Ruin
Level: 2782
Class: Speed Demon

I like the general idea of this.

How about the duration of immunity received is based on your level? At lower levels you maybe receive 30mins and this trends to 0, or a much lower time, as you approach 1000.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:24 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next