It is currently Wed Jun 05, 2024 1:23 am

Team: Predromus Mortis
Main: Unununium
Level: 1006
Class: Shield Monkey

Post Re: May 4th, 2009 - Dev update 13
AI have different ways to calculate when to shoot, AI have the ability to dodge if it was coded in, you just need someone with some ingenuity to make all those changes happen.

Sat May 09, 2009 1:59 pm

Team: Strawberry Pancakes
Main: Nuroshounin
Level: 833
Class: Engineer

dragon_Z56 wrote:
AI have different ways to calculate when to shoot, AI have the ability to dodge if it was coded in, you just need someone with some ingenuity to make all those changes happen.

That also results in more resources per AI if all AI were to function like that. While more "intelligent" AI are very desired on a linear game where these AI can be spawned when necessary or on a single-player game, in an MMO the general AI must be "intelligent" enough to perform their tasks without using up too much server resources. Bosses can be the exception considering how few there are and, assuming they don't roam, they can be frozen when no players are there to conserve resources.

Completely unrelated but I believe the balance sheets need some work. Stats need to be lowered for common items, ruin gear should have a slightly higher bonus in the sheet, and monetary cost should play a larger effect on increasing stats on lower tech gear than higher tech gear (which also would help with ruin items). Currently there isn't much of a reason to ever use expensive gear not in the high tech range as you can easily get 2-3 levels and have something better for 10% or less of the cost.

Sat May 09, 2009 2:25 pm
Profile E-mail YIM

Team: Aidelon
Main: goldstar-stations
Level: 2020
Class: Engineer

pip8786 wrote:
saran wrote:
but one admin should deal with in-game balancing. wile the others deal with new content and meet with the in-game balance dude to figure out whats to be done. if pip is working on game balance, thats time taken away from C2. which we were told was to come out last spring..

I never have nor probably ever will touch the balance/item sheets. Its not my thing.

so you havnt been working on bugs and such? i must be confuzing a couple of the admins. :lol: :oops:

Quote:
That also results in more resources per AI if all AI were to function like that. While more "intelligent" AI are very desired on a linear game where these AI can be spawned when necessary or on a single-player game, in an MMO the general AI must be "intelligent" enough to perform their tasks without using up too much server resources. Bosses can be the exception considering how few there are and, assuming they don't roam, they can be frozen when no players are there to conserve resources.

as far as i know all the ones in DGs are frozen when there are no players. not sure how the roaming ones are handled but would it really take that much more resources for just the roaming ai?

Sun May 10, 2009 8:26 am
Site Admin / Dev Team

Team: Eminence Front
Main: PhoenixSun2
Level: 1392
Class: Shield Monkey

saran wrote:
pip8786 wrote:
saran wrote:
if pip is working on game balance, thats time taken away from C2.

I never have nor probably ever will touch the balance/item sheets. Its not my thing.

so you havnt been working on bugs and such? i must be confuzing a couple of the admins. :lol: :oops:

You must not have read my message. I said I wasn't touching game balance stuff.

Sun May 10, 2009 9:40 am