It is currently Sun Jun 23, 2024 2:49 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 299 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 20  Next

Team: Death Mental
Main: Elryk
Level: 2208
Class: Gunner

Post Re: Changes to Cloaks/visibility
JeffL wrote:
This isn't about stealthy SD's, though that may be a symptom of problems. This is about the visibility system being completely broken before, where ships were either completely visible to everyone or completely invisible to everyone. The old visibility system simply wasn't any good and it was impossible to tweak Seer's and Snipers under it. The new system is far superior in that there is an actual gradient to the visibility and detection. I don't feel that SS2 can be launched with the old visibility system, which is why I implemented the new one.

Although I dont think this was directed right at me, I will clarify anyways (for others as well that may have misunderstood). I seen this as a bad way to attempt to fix ANY stealthy class that shouldn't normally (and easily) be stealthy, not just SDs.

If you'll notice I did not say that the new visibility system was a bad idea (at least not in that post). Just that It shouldn't have been put in game until the kinks are worked out. You guys generally like to rush into putting stuff in for some reason. This was a good example of that, at first, it seemed like you wanted to get this tested and put in over like a 3 day period, totally unacceptable by ANY standard.

I take as much advice from the players as I possibly can. But please appreciate that much of the advice is contradictory or counter-productive. Some of you have been extremely helpful, though, and I appreciate it immensely. I'm not trying to ignore any serious problems, but also please understand there are hundreds of posts here as well as tickets, emails, and PM's come to me every day. There's a ton of information coming in at me and it's often tough to spot or keep track of what information is valid/useful. I'm trying my best, really.

I understand that a lot of the advice given to you wont work, but when you have several people all saying the same thing, you should take notes. For example, everyone is telling you that your balance sheets should be thrown out the window and that you need to manually adjust cloaks to fit the system you are trying to put in place. Yet you repetitively argue that your balance sheets work perfect and that you need to make gear unusably large to keep it balanced with their current stats.

Off topic to stealth, but still on topic to advice: Another good example of where a lot of people say something is wrong, and it gets ignored is Missiles, almost EVERY major gunner has said that the way missiles are used is broken (over powerd) in several threads, and that there are some rather serious bugs with them. Almost all of those gunners have also provided ways (most are almost identical) to resolve these issues. I have even went as far as to post the more serious ones, with several fixes each, in the bugs section (which I will bump, again), and it has gone apparently completely un-noticed.

If you'd like to help me continue to improve the game, please limit the posts which are basically Spam or complaining. Give me posts in the form of "There's a problem with specific item A because of B. It would be better if you changed it in this specific way." Maybe I missed some specific points in this really long thread, but the two concrete points I've seen here were about the tech 9 seer cloak and the built in cloak, both of which I'm attempting to address in an acceptable way.

Again, not sure this was directed right at me, but I'll respond anyways just in case. Although it was VERY general, my post was neither complaining, nor spamming. It was a very direct way of saying your going about things (not just stealth) the wrong way (and in the wrong order), when there are simpler, more effective ways to achieve the same, or almost the same result. I have given you (the admin/dev team) lists of very specific problems, and usually lists of specific solutions for each problem, and they typically get no response. Most are still currently problems in game.

I see that you are taking advice on some of the cloaks, that's a step in the right direction, but it also needs to be applied across the board, as in other topics, including your approach on the balance sheets (size isn't everything for instance).

I'm sorry if this all sounds a little too harsh and critical, and that it is a bit of a wall of text, but it needs to be said in my opinion. Your intentions may be good, but your approach is not, as demonstrated by large amount of concern that is obviously visible here in this thread. Clearly I'm not the only person that feels this way.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:32 pm

Team: Strawberry Pancakes
Main: Hooch Dealer
Level: 2763

saran wrote:
i think it was hooch who suggested that each class should have its own innate visibility on top of the visibility of the ships/items. this may be an easier way to be sure the hot stuff stays hot and the cool stuff stays cool.

Yes I did say this, and I still think this is a proper fix. and this is not a radical idea either, just think back to when base gear got a huge vis beef.

http://www.gbtv.com
http://www.theblaze.com

Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:20 pm
Profile YIM

Team: Scy Logistics
Main: Grape
Level: 1306
Class: Seer

that works imo.

cept make it only for certain ships....otherwise no one can have stealth scouts anymore, and thats no fun.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:27 pm

Team: The Unforeseen Colonies
Main: your mother and i
Level: 2647
Class: Speed Demon

IF you can correctly balance stealth in order for classes to still be stealthy using augs etc I'll agree with this. but faster, more vis, doesn't make sense

Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:29 pm

Team: Aidelon
Main: goldstar-stations
Level: 2020
Class: Engineer

kunta wrote:
IF you can correctly balance stealth in order for classes to still be stealthy using augs etc I'll agree with this. but faster, more vis, doesn't make sense

basically the way he structured his suggestion was that each class had a base vis and it wasnt enough to keep you from using stealthy stuff, as long as there were augs and your gear was setup for it. it just meant you had to use a stealth aug to make a stealth setup, and stealth gear was more important.

thats how i really think it should be balanced, it would even be easier. because what works for one class is broken on another, so they can tweak the individual classes till they get what works for them. it also doesn't bar anyone from using a stealth setup but means that they will sacrifice something for that stealth if they are not a stealth class.

fairest way i can see of doing it. and best suggestion i have seen in a long time.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:22 pm

thing is, before things were changed, it was like this already.. without adding vis to each class

Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:25 pm

Team: None
Main: thebattler36
Level: 1791
Class: Shield Monkey

saran wrote:
kunta wrote:

basically the way he structured his suggestion was that each class had a base vis and it wasnt enough to keep you from using stealthy stuff, as long as there were augs and your gear was setup for it. it just meant you had to use a stealth aug to make a stealth setup, and stealth gear was more important.

thats how i really think it should be balanced, it would even be easier. because what works for one class is broken on another, so they can tweak the individual classes till they get what works for them. it also doesn't bar anyone from using a stealth setup but means that they will sacrifice something for that stealth if they are not a stealth class.

fairest way i can see of doing it. and best suggestion i have seen in a long time.

would be nice.

Would fix stealth SD, stealth zerker, monk etc. etc. that dont use stealthy gear.

Atm seers can be seen far too easily, the desperately need a vis reduction. SDs seeing a 0 vis 97 percent cloaked seer from ages away is just broken to fuck... (not my seer, noticed by another)

Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:26 pm
Profile E-mail
Dev Team

Team: HAL
Main: HAL 9000
Level: 1002
Class: Berserker

kunta wrote:

Maybe its just me, but I imagine "stealth" to be more of a "sneaking around" type thing, not barreling around at high speeds while still being completely invisible. From a game balance perspective it just doesn't make any sense and has to be fixed somehow.

Perhaps an alternative implementation would be to cap the ship speed while the cloak is enabled, rather than simply disabling or limiting the effectiveness of the cloak once you exceed the speed limit. So for example, if you are in a panther and you turn on your cloak, you are limited to 135 speed regardless of any speed bonuses you might have. This prevents you from accidentally becoming more visible if you wanted to stay stealthy.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:27 pm

HAL wrote:
kunta wrote:

Maybe its just me, but I imagine "stealth" to be more of a "sneaking around" type thing, not barreling around at high speeds while still being completely invisible. From a game balance perspective it just doesn't make any sense and has to be fixed somehow.

Perhaps an alternative implementation would be to cap the ship speed while the cloak is enabled, rather than simply disabling or limiting the effectiveness of the cloak once you exceed the speed limit. So for example, if you are in a panther and you turn on your cloak, you are limited to 135 speed regardless of any speed bonuses you might have. This prevents you from accidentally becoming more visible if you wanted to stay stealthy.

So your saying if I attempt stealth at all on a speed demon, that I should be slow?
And anyone with a cloak and speed augs will be slow(hermes augs)

things have been going fine for years and ways to travel are well established
Maybe there needs to be a new kind of hull class
Called "Traveling" and cloaks don't affect the speed of the ship

Last edited by kunta on Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:30 pm

Main: Hooch Dealer
Level: 2763

No. stop trying to make it overly complicated its not.

Some classes should not have the natural ability to be stealthy. Give them added inherent vis. Force them to use more than 1 vis aug or just a cloak.

http://www.gbtv.com
http://www.theblaze.com

Last edited by rand4505 on Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:33 pm
Profile YIM

Main: BlackDragon
Level: 1876

That sounds better. Otherwise people would more often than not go just over the limit and get screwed. But with that implemented would you be able to possibly code it so that if you hit "W" twice in quick succession it could disable it, and then if you wanted to re-enable it you could hit "S" twice in quick succession to have your ship auto brake to the max speed.

This would allow for ships to ambush something and possibly double tap W to escape if things got hairy. Just an idea.

~BD

Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:33 pm

Main: thebattler36
Level: 1791

kunta wrote:
HAL wrote:
kunta wrote:

IF i were truely invisible, but that is NOT the case

Your invisible from such a range that it doesn't matter due to your weapons range.

SDs with 500-1k range only need to be invisible from 500-1k+

Seers with 25 or 80 range need to be invisible from at least 25 or 80.

See the big big difference? Then you factor in speed differences as well, and the time it takes an SD to travel 1k range compared to any other class...

[quote"rand4505]No. stop trying to make it overly complicated its not.

Some classes should not have the natural ability to be stealthy. Give them added inherent vis. Force them to use more than 1 vis aug.[/quote]

Some classes should. Seer and Sniper for example should be naturally stealthy and the large majority of seers have augs which add up to take away 100's of percent of vis, yet they can still be seen from hundreds away.

I also think HAL's idea is one of the best so far.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:35 pm
Profile E-mail

Main: Trevor50
Level: 4503

HAL wrote:
kunta wrote:

This idea is nice.

Stay strong, live long, and walk humbly.

Strawberry Blueberry Pancakes

Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:40 pm
Profile E-mail

How about a "travel" aspect be added to specific ships

Wing4s would be lightfighter and a "travel" ship, etc
cloaking and flying fast would be possible

Nvm; it just doesn't make sense. There are far too many types and unique stealth speed ships.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:43 pm

Team: Aidelon
Main: goldstar-stations
Level: 2020
Class: Engineer

HAL wrote:
kunta wrote:

could work, but it only solves part of the problem.. we still have superstealthy SHM,DM,MF ect. iv seen it so its no BS.. missiles loose lock when people jam that cloak button..

if the classes had an inherent visibility some a little more than others (i would suspect MF to have the highest visibility because of what it is) then you force the use of stealth gear and augs if they want a stealthy setup.

the biggest problem here is not just SD being FAST,Stealthy,really high damage, and many with shield banks around 60k.. if there is an inherent visibility to each class then anyone can be stealthy if they want to be..but they MUST use stealth gear and augs.. there isn't enough attention given to augs that cloak or stealth a person..

idealy the only things that should see sniper or seer when they are not firing should be another sniper or seer. its logical that if they fire, sure they can get pwned by just about any class that can reach them, but they should be damn good at being sneaky motherwhatsits at all other times..

inherent visibility on classes looks like the easiest to implement and the easiest to tweak till its right.

capping speed wont hurt any other class that decides to use stealth.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:44 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 299 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 20  Next