It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 7:42 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

Team: Capitalists
Main: Jeff Bobbo
Level: 2048
Class: Gunner

Post Re: How terrible are lasers?
Well, what is a Laser... It's amplified light, any reason it should do loads of damage?

To me, Laser has always been that kind of back up damage type for AIs to use when they can't hit their target because its behind a solar body, or other obstruction.

Although. You could add some full tracking ethereal lasers for players to use... Maybe a build from some of the currently Ethereal laser series.

JeffL wrote:
Are you kidding me? Our C2 music is way better than that boring garbage you linked.

Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:19 am
Profile WWW

Team: Traders
Main: k-2
Level: 2506
Class: Speed Demon

Laser in PvP:
Well i've tried few times to use a Mercurian Emission in SD PvP, its actually not bad, since i did 4.75K DPS counting that i did 825~ DPH and with a possible recoil of 0.175, With a Sweeny T's Razor i do 4.9k DPS counting that i do 620 DPH with 0.125 Recoil. Tho i prefer to use a sweeny over my emission because of:
1: Elec usage
2: DPS
3: Range
4: Crit hit effect
5: Ethereal

The cost on Mercurian emission is ~10b, The market price on Sweeny T's Razor is ~15b, Also mentioning the fact that Emission cant be modded whilst Sweeny can be.

Laser in PvAI:
Some places, it's Pretty decent..
I always use it in Serengeti, i can kill a zebra in ~8 seconds with it, but it has a weak point where it has a Low DPE comparing the EPS and the Average DPH on most AIs.

Also another thing, the Critical hit effect on laser weapons is USELESS!! -5% Shield regen for few seconds is Nothing either pvp or pvai, Change it to -10-15% and it would at least be useful somewhere.

adum is the best.

Samantha is second.

Calypso is third.

no wai!

Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:03 am
Profile E-mail

Team: Death Mental
Main: goett
Level: 2157
Class: Shield Monkey

anilv wrote:
yugioh124 wrote:
One of the big reasons is DPE. Energy weapons are, in general, far more efficient than laser weapons. The only laser weapon I know of that's used regularly is the Mad Thorax, since it's not actually a laser and gets good DPE combined with DPS.

I don't know of any Laser weapon that can compete with Excomm on DPS, DPE, and size. I think the balance sheets put too much weight on the "autohit" aspect of lasers, considering how easy it is to hit with projectiles if you have good range and tracking, or if you get in close.

It would be great to see more laser damage weapons like MT that are not beams; perhaps a laser torpedo?

reiterate: yerp

JeffL wrote:
Diffusers are a related, but different problem. I think it was a bad design to make them reduce damage by a percent. That means that low level diffusers scale up with your enemies damage. They should probably be changed to soak-only, which would allow volatile diffusers to be quite powerful when you're using tech 4 stuff, but basically worthless when you're using tech 20 stuff, as they should be.

cool

i kind of like idea of an energy sucking damage type, dps needs a bump but maybe not with diffuser overhaul. Don't forget the crit for laser type is -50% regen on shield, which is highly undervalued.

maybe add a size 20k wtf dps energy-suck-laser for bs's???

Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:52 am
Profile E-mail

Team: None
Main: Demiser of D
Level: 20
Class: None

Actually, i was the one that created the crit hit effect chart on the wiki, and i'm STILL not 100% sure what exactly it does. In my testing, i got roughly 50% decrease, but in an alternate test i had NO decrease and in another test I had a 100% decrease. Crits are really confusing :cry:

And if you nerf vollies like that, you'd better make a better higher tech version, or i'll probably cry :P

Battlecruiser23 wrote:
Fuck you, Cygnus.

Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:28 am

Team: Traders
Main: ERMAN
Level: 3306
Class: Speed Demon

JeffL wrote:
Diffusers are a related, but different problem. I think it was a bad design to make them reduce damage by a percent. That means that low level diffusers scale up with your enemies damage. They should probably be changed to soak-only, which would allow volatile diffusers to be quite powerful when you're using tech 4 stuff, but basically worthless when you're using tech 20 stuff, as they should be.

That is a huge pandoras box right there...

changing something as integrated as the way diffusers work will ripple through a ton of different stuff and cause either a lot of problems or a lot of rebalances...

-ERMAN

Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:38 am
Profile WWW

Team: Strawberry Pancakes
Main: playerboy345
Level: 2035
Class: Berserker

erman wrote:
JeffL wrote:

changing something as integrated as the way diffusers work will ripple through a ton of different stuff and cause either a lot of problems or a lot of rebalances...

-ERMAN

The Voomy One wrote:
Quote:
Runescape, Allows you to change your name every 30 days.

Runescape sucks so it doesnt count :P

Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:43 am
Profile E-mail

Team: Resident Evil
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 4129
Class: Shield Monkey

who we gonna blame when this thread gets diffs nerfed! :roll:

landswimmer wrote:
IN C1, TIMEWARP SCREWS YOU!

Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:10 am
Profile E-mail YIM WWW

Team: Eminence Front
Main: Paximaximus
Level: 2572
Class: Engineer

JeffL wrote:

If you do this, you may put in Volis for higher levels.
Which won't work. One T20 Lazer Voli cannot possibly have the same soak for MF Rs, and Emp.
Leave as it is.

Lazer is only used for Bana, KKK and MF R Grinding. Only by my Zerk, only with MTs.
Never saw it as an alternative damage type really, just an annoying one to carry for certain occasions.

Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:03 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: Evo
Main: Savak
Level: 20
Class: None

andezrhode2a wrote:
JeffL wrote:

Which won't work. One T20 Lazer Voli cannot possibly have the same soak for MF Rs, and Emp.
Leave as it is.

Lazer is only used for Bana, KKK and MF R Grinding. Only by my Zerk, only with MTs.
Never saw it as an alternative damage type really, just an annoying one to carry for certain occasions.

Bana?

Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:10 pm

Team: Dark Traders
Main: Kyp
Level: 2610

I think the primary weakness of beam-lasers is their DPE. Alot of PvAI these days is extremely weighted towards having very high DPE values, due to the low energy potential in uber zones with no suns... No1 in their right mind is going to use a .33 dpe, low dps beam weapon for... for anything really. Low dpe means its out for PvAI, low dps and laser damage makes it useless in PvP. Although, ares sapper @ 1k range just to outrange your foes has potential i suppose... But thats more of a function of its range.

I'm curious, though it won't be a measure of the actual usefulness of laser beams it would give you an idea of player sentiments towards the same, if you could get a breakdown of what laser weapons people actually have equipped in game at a given time. My guess is you would find MT's 5x above all others... with reaver laser coming in second. Because its "common knowledge" that lasers suck. Which isn't necessarily correct but I do think the balance sheets might put too much weight behind their beam nature.

Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:12 pm

Team: Eminence Front
Main: Paximaximus
Level: 2572

syberian wrote:
andezrhode2a wrote:
JeffL wrote:

Leave as it is.

Bana?

I just woke up. MS, KKK and MF R Grinding, was thinking about Bana Lazer Diff at the time.

Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:29 pm
Profile E-mail

Jeff, if i may add my 2 cents, Pulses aint that hard to aim whit and some Lasers/beams are quite hard to hit whit unless its a target the size of Emp or Massif3. how about making some Laser type pulses?

Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:42 pm

Team: PrimalDecus
Main: Uth Matar
Level: 2466

playerboy345 wrote:
erman wrote:
JeffL wrote:

-ERMAN

FREDOM FOR WING4+ !!! NOW !!! /viewtopic.php?f=4&t=28872&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
The Voomy One :Uth Matar is correct!

Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:07 pm

1 thing to say

Ai base bought voltile laser diff want to make laser more usefull then make laser resis harder to get

Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:20 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: Psionic Corps
Main: The Crazy Game Maste
Level: 1031

Location: TARDIS, Time Vortex, Main Universe, Reality, Big Bang 2, Multiverse 1
I think the primary problem of Lasers is their ROF.

JeffL wrote:
Maybe you guys are right. We can leave things how they are for now and get more feedback later.

Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:56 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next