It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:12 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

Team: Eminence Front
Main: Myrtok
Level: 1620
Class: Speed Demon

Post Re: HAL's January Update
HAL wrote:
Momentum weapon effects
Weapons will now have the ability to impart momentum to the firer or the victim. For example if you shoot a weapon with a knockback effect when it hits the target it push it away. Currently there are no player obtainable weapons implemented with this effect yet, but if none receive this ability in the rebalance, you can at least expect to see some new items become available in the future.

Awesome! Actually, I've always thought this should be a feature of physical weps. I agree that the mass of the target should be calculated into the equation, and, just to make things more complicated, the relative velocity of the projectile and the target at time of impact should also be considered. If different weps were given a value for the mass of their projectiles, the physics and math should be pretty straightforward (mass of the projectile x relative velocity at impact = thrust for ~ 1 second). By using a thrust calculation for the "knockback effect," the mass of the target is automatically factored in, and you can use the same coding you use for tractor beams and engines now (I'm guessing). If the "knockback" projectiles move at a velocity that depends on the firing ship like pulse guns do now, and damage is also calculated based on relative velocity on impact, this would open up a whole new dimension for physical weps.

On the other hand, this is a BAD idea for lasers. Laser beams have no mass. To switch things up a bit, maybe more lasers could be given grem effects that affect steering or something like the Reaver laser.

I also have to second the question about where to find the new ownership rules. I hope that someone will repost and sticky those so we can all be on the same page at reset time.

HAL wrote:
You are greedy and ignorant, you can't have everything in life for free.

Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:02 am

Team: Strawberry Pancakes
Main: _7_
Level: 2446
Class: Shield Monkey

I did manage to find this http://www.starsonata.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27867&hilit=galaxy+own However, as the wiki is down, the links don't work....As for weapon nockback, it would make sense for missiles to have this.

Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:10 am
Darth Administrator

Team: Admins
Main: The Voomy One
Level: 1337
Class: Sniper

Quote:
Bad bad bad bad bad... picture a 2 resist zerker dread in bana. It sits on the queen, every bullet hits the dread and it doesnt even need to move to do so. Instant aggro control, easily healed. If the queen feels that a ship in the way is reason enough to use her eth laser on the real dps dealer then her damage has been cut in half.

That has been taken into consideration. If the Ai isnt doing enough damage it will switch to a different weapon or switch target.

Quote:
Also fucks over capital ships in pvp and just about every dg run. We have a hard enough time dodging just the bullets fired at us, now we have to deal with dodging the bullets fired at all our allies as well.
When the base you are attacking is moving a dreadnought finds it difficult just to keep up with the damn thing, no way they can avoid the pulse as well, and a capship in the firing line of an achilles pulse doesnt have enough time to turn around before it is dead.

You are making a problem out of something that isnt a problem. If the cap ships ends up in the line of fire the person holding the agro needs to move. Sounds like a very minor problem.

Quote:
You say you can use a tanking capital ship as a barricade? Have you ever played a capital ship? They are not good tanks... the sheildmonkeys struggle to keep up the healage because you have shoddy resists and attract every bullet in the galaxy. There is also the small problem that a dreadnoughts sheilds are so large that time taken out to heal the dread is time that the rest of the squad is being torn apart

A capital ship was just a example because it's a big ship so it would be easy for several people to hide behind it. You can use any ship as a barricade.

Quote:
Finally... space is 3D. I could accept planets and suns stopping your bullets, making ships stop your bullets is just ridiculous.

This is a computer game, never forget that. We arent trying to be realistic here, we are trying to add a new dimension to the game, a new tactic to be used. The problems this feature will cause will be few and minor while the advantages will be pretty big.
In any case, since space is 3D wouldnt it make sense that you should be able to fly in front of a friend and take the bullets for him?

For drones it shouldnt be a problem at all, just dont hide behind your drones. Stay in front of them or at the side. It also adds the new tactic that if one of your drones happen to get agro you can run in front of it to shield it.

This change might actually make people consider using resistance augs and certain ships with very high resists against certain damage types. I see a lot of possibilities.

Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:36 am

Team: Aidelon
Main: BaRR
Level: 2417

I think people don't use resistance augs because they don't add to your resists, they amplify them. If you have cruddy resists in one area, and great resists in another, it'll make the great resists better, but anything using the damage type you're bad against will still pwn you, resistance aug or not... So then for that purpose, they use Regen augs instead.

Just my take on it, that's the reason I didn't use resist augs.

Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:57 am
Profile WWW
Darth Administrator

Yeah but imagine Copper for example. Have someone in a ship with nice energy resist and put 3 sup resistance augs on it. Then have that person stand as a shield in front of whoever has agro.

Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:07 am

Team: None
Main: Stooch
Level: 1619
Class: Gunner

The Voomy One wrote:
Quote:
Bad bad bad bad bad... picture a 2 resist zerker dread in bana. It sits on the queen, every bullet hits the dread and it doesnt even need to move to do so. Instant aggro control, easily healed. If the queen feels that a ship in the way is reason enough to use her eth laser on the real dps dealer then her damage has been cut in half.

That has been taken into consideration. If the Ai isnt doing enough damage it will switch to a different weapon or switch target.
It cant switch target... I am sitting on the queen, its only choice is to use its Ethereal weapon which is easily healed, or to attack me meaning there is no danger of rapid aggro switches.

Quote:
Also fucks over capital ships in pvp and just about every dg run. We have a hard enough time dodging just the bullets fired at us, now we have to deal with dodging the bullets fired at all our allies as well.
When the base you are attacking is moving a dreadnought finds it difficult just to keep up with the damn thing, no way they can avoid the pulse as well, and a capship in the firing line of an achilles pulse doesnt have enough time to turn around before it is dead.

You are making a problem out of something that isnt a problem. If the cap ships ends up in the line of fire the person holding the agro needs to move. Sounds like a very minor problem.
When a squad warps into a DG with 8 opponents, bullets start flying everywhere, now bullets will start hitting the capship... maybe just for the first 5 seconds until people split up but that 5 seconds is enough for a few mf BGs to decimate the capships sheilds. I know this will affect other classes, but to me it just seems like another reason to not take a capship into DGs
Quote:
You say you can use a tanking capital ship as a barricade? Have you ever played a capital ship? They are not good tanks... the sheildmonkeys struggle to keep up the healage because you have shoddy resists and attract every bullet in the galaxy. There is also the small problem that a dreadnoughts sheilds are so large that time taken out to heal the dread is time that the rest of the squad is being torn apart

A capital ship was just a example because it's a big ship so it would be easy for several people to hide behind it. You can use any ship as a barricade.

Quote:
Finally... space is 3D. I could accept planets and suns stopping your bullets, making ships stop your bullets is just ridiculous.

This is a computer game, never forget that. We arent trying to be realistic here, we are trying to add a new dimension to the game, a new tactic to be used. The problems this feature will cause will be few and minor while the advantages will be pretty big.
In any case, since space is 3D wouldnt it make sense that you should be able to fly in front of a friend and take the bullets for him?
You arent adding a dimension... you are removing one.
For drones it shouldnt be a problem at all, just dont hide behind your drones. Stay in front of them or at the side. It also adds the new tactic that if one of your drones happen to get agro you can run in front of it to shield it.

This change might actually make people consider using resistance augs and certain ships with very high resists against certain damage types. I see a lot of possibilities.

To me this change seems worse than almost anything else introduced in the rebalance.

Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:36 am
Profile E-mail

Team: Aidelon
Main: BaRR
Level: 2417

You could potentially surround yourself with unforges and take down almost any uber, besides bana queen, with 1 ShM and 1 DPS.

Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:19 am
Profile WWW
Darth Administrator

Again you are making a problem out of something that isnt a problem.

Quote:
When a squad warps into a DG with 8 opponents, bullets start flying everywhere, now bullets will start hitting the capship... maybe just for the first 5 seconds until people split up but that 5 seconds is enough for a few mf BGs to decimate the capships sheilds. I know this will affect other classes, but to me it just seems like another reason to not take a capship into DGs

If you cant survive 5 seconds in the first level of a DG when agro is spread among several players you are too weak to be there in the first place. Hell my alt could have survived much longer then that even back when he was level 300.
Need me to teach you a tactic? Send in a SD first to lure the Ais a bit away from the wormhole.

Quote:
You arent adding a dimension... you are removing one.

Total bullshit. What are we removing? Explain your argument. This change wont remove a single tactic used today, it will however add several new ones. I dont see how everyone cant just instantly picture all the possibilites.

Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:31 am

Team: Zephyr
Main: bankn
Level: 1047
Class: Engineer

DMs in Dnaughts with 2 general ops covering the BFDs xD

Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:14 am

Team: Evil Empire
Main: Outcast
Level: 2206
Class: Berserker

Sounds cool.

Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:14 am
Site Admin / Dev Team

Main: PhoenixSun2
Level: 1392

We will consider adding resists to capships during testing so that they can be used in that way, and since they will be the ones taking a lot of the hits now. Stay tuned.

Edit: Maybe we'll reduce the shield bonuses and enhance the resists, making both shield augs and resist augs more useful on capships.

Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:54 am

Team: None
Main: Stooch
Level: 1619
Class: Gunner

pip8786 wrote:
We will consider adding resists to capships during testing so that they can be used in that way, and since they will be the ones taking a lot of the hits now. Stay tuned.

Edit: Maybe we'll reduce the shield bonuses and enhance the resists, making both shield augs and resist augs more useful on capships.

Thank you Pipkins.

Voomy I give in, go play a Dreadnought and you will see what I am saying.

I am still against the change but I wont bother complaining, I can tell this is just another of those things that the admins are going to implement and ignore the playerbase's opinions.

Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:58 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: Strawberry Pancakes
Main: Trevor50
Level: 4503

The Voomy One wrote:
Yeah but imagine Copper for example. Have someone in a ship with nice energy resist and put 3 sup resistance augs on it. Then have that person stand as a shield in front of whoever has agro.

Once again RESISTANCE AUGS DONT STACK!!!!

Or so my test concluded.

Stay strong, live long, and walk humbly.

Strawberry Blueberry Pancakes

Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:15 pm
Profile E-mail
Dev Team

Team: HAL
Main: HAL 9000
Level: 1002
Class: Berserker

Resistance augs do stack, or if they didn't before they will after the update because any code that could have prevented them from doing so certainly doesn't exist any more.

The way resist augmenters work is that the damage is divided by (1 + resistance). So for example if you have +100% resist all, you will take half damage. You might say "well this sucks", but it is balanced around the equivalent amount of increase shields and regeneration, with a slight penalty taking into account that you can get healed easier making it a better bonus than just the equivalent shield augs.

Of course the main problem with resistance augmenters right now is that there really isn't a whole lot of variety and selection available beyond the basic minor to sup. augmenters. If you have ideas for a new augmenter and where it might drop, I would be happy to hear them. Just keep in mind that whatever stats you come up with would probably just be used as a guideline for how the stats might be distributed on the final item.

Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:28 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team

Main: PhoenixSun2
Level: 1392

MagicSteve wrote:
pip8786 wrote:

Thank you Pipkins.

Voomy I give in, go play a Dreadnought and you will see what I am saying.

I am still against the change but I wont bother complaining, I can tell this is just another of those things that the admins are going to implement and ignore the playerbase's opinions.

Stooch, I really think you should give this update a chance. The number of new tactics available to the players will really enhance the gameplay in my opinion. Right now the gameplay is getting very stale since most players can just sit in one spot and shoot/watch their drones. With this there will be advantages to actually moving around a lot more. And for the Bana thing, something will definitely have to be figured out.

Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:35 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next