It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 9:13 am

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 309 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 21  Next

Team: Dark Traders
Main: Getsuga Tenshou
Level: 1799
Class: Berserker

Post Re: Some proposed beefs to Snipers
Yes the general idea is to create a seige mode via the spacebreak, so that you will be rooted in place... this idea would actually make standing perfectly still bearable if given the right stats.

Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:39 am

Team: None
Main: thebattler36
Level: 1791
Class: Shield Monkey

LethalLoki wrote:
Yes the general idea is to create a seige mode via the spacebreak, so that you will be rooted in place... this idea would actually make standing perfectly still bearable if given the right stats.

I think tying it to an item would be much easier/better than the spacebrake, since it's more definite when it's turned on/off and easier to make it sniper only and buff/debuff in general.

Spacebrake effect is easily generated by forced thrust for 2 seconds -100% speed. Then add the damage, recoil, tracking, turning etc. buffs/debuffs beginning after 2 seconds.

The item could possibly give largish debuff's to stats on unequipping, i.e. - speed, damage, tracking.

Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:51 am
Profile E-mail

thebattler35 wrote:
LethalLoki wrote:

I think tying it to an item would be much easier/better than the spacebrake, since it's more definite when it's turned on/off and easier to make it sniper only and buff/debuff in general.

Spacebrake effect is easily generated by forced thrust for 2 seconds -100% speed. Then add the damage, recoil, tracking, turning etc. buffs/debuffs beginning after 2 seconds.

The item could possibly give largish debuff's to stats on unequipping, i.e. - speed, damage, tracking.

Or... you could just link it to a simple key press...S.

Having said that, i dont really agree with linking anything to speed. If it was linked to a low speed then surely it should only increase accuracy?

If i hit you with a rifle bullet, its going to do the same damage standing still, as it would if i was running. Except i would have a higher chance of hitting you standing still.

It just doesnt make sense that standing still would increase damage. For certain weapons maybe, but not all.

Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:31 pm

5dave5 wrote:

Having said that, i dont really agree with linking anything to speed. If it was linked to a low speed then surely it should only increase accuracy?

If i hit you with a rifle bullet, its going to do the same damage standing still, as it would if i was running. Except i would have a higher chance of hitting you standing still.

It just doesnt make sense that standing still would increase damage. For certain weapons maybe, but not all.

In which case the spacebrake ceases to be a spacebrake and takes on a different role entirely. You also need to factor it's generally for sniper only, and that we do not have any tweaks buffs etc. that can be activated by a keypress whilst the tweak is non-existant in your inventory...

An item would be better in almost every way, as well as much much easier to add in.

And you can hotkey items to equip/unequip, so switching it on off would be just as easy as pressing S....

Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:59 pm
Profile E-mail

Main: Demiser of D
Level: 20
Class: None

The reason why stopping would allow for increased damage is that you can put your engine power towards OLing your damage.

Battlecruiser23 wrote:
Fuck you, Cygnus.

Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:39 pm

thebattler35 wrote:
5dave5 wrote:

In which case the spacebrake ceases to be a spacebrake and takes on a different role entirely. You also need to factor it's generally for sniper only, and that we do not have any tweaks buffs etc. that can be activated by a keypress whilst the tweak is non-existant in your inventory...

An item would be better in almost every way, as well as much much easier to add in.

And you can hotkey items to equip/unequip, so switching it on off would be just as easy as pressing S....

The brake seems like it would take on a diff role. But i dont think so.

Whats wrong with
Code:
Whiles the brake is engaged you will recieve X and Y

Anyway, as i said, i dont agree with it. Bonuses shouldnt be scaled with anything. Flying around at 300 speed, backwards and forwards as an SD just to do max dmg is the most annoying thing. Even more annoying is knowing that you are contributing the tiniest DPS to an Uber, you might aswell not be there.

Last edited by 5dave5 on Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:03 pm

Team: Traders
Main: Duckaroo
Level: 2355

Ok popping more ideas out here:

While stopped or slow (whatever way y'all decide,) snipers get bonuses to critical rate, more than 20% comeon, range, bullet speed, increased recoil and damage (i'm talking large), and defensive abilities.

Snipers need some way to escape from fast and strong targets when they're sited, so they'd get an energy bank boost (it goes out fast with +elec tempering). They can waste energy and shoot/push til they get to safety.

Is it possible to give snipers push back on energy projectiles too? or would that be too hard/broken. It would allow them to keep back most enemies without packing physical weapons only.

They need bonuses so that they aren't capable of destroying targets while being chased, but escaping to safety.

Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:15 pm

Main: Sybir
Level: 1788

JeffL wrote:
No, i don't hate snipers. I'm trying to give them some love. I think making snipers specialize against smaller ships is a really good role for them, and bonuses to physical damage gives them just that. Just because they have +20% damage with physical doesn't mean they have to always use physical, it means they are especially good against smaller ships. This should give them a good role, especially as we add more AI's with fighters and high level AI SD type ships.

People can feel different when they get sniper item and find out that its only purpose is insulting them and their mothers lol

Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:16 am
Profile E-mail
over 9000!

Team: Pax Romana
Main: Ghost Commander
Level: 1138

Sybir wrote:
JeffL wrote:
No, i don't hate snipers. I'm trying to give them some love. I think making snipers specialize against smaller ships is a really good role for them, and bonuses to physical damage gives them just that. Just because they have +20% damage with physical doesn't mean they have to always use physical, it means they are especially good against smaller ships. This should give them a good role, especially as we add more AI's with fighters and high level AI SD type ships.

People can feel different when they get sniper item and find out that its only purpose is insulting them and their mothers lol

A +damage to physical would work if there was high damage sniper only physical beams out there...

Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:42 am

Main: Demiser of D
Level: 20
Class: None

Physical beams are the stupidest idea since sliced bread...

Battlecruiser23 wrote:
Fuck you, Cygnus.

Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:41 am

Demiser of D wrote:

Id settle for a railgun, that would make sense :D.

Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:46 am

5dave5 wrote:
Demiser of D wrote:

1000 speed non-tracking projectiles anyone?

Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:33 pm
Profile E-mail

Main: Sybir
Level: 1788

thebattler35 wrote:
5dave5 wrote:
Demiser of D wrote:

imposible to hit moving target, needs autopilot for targeting still targets too

Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:35 pm
Profile E-mail
over 9000!

Team: Pax Romana
Main: Ghost Commander
Level: 1138

Demiser of D wrote:

Rhino Ray... Ask the admin that designed that thing.

Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:25 pm

Sybir wrote:
thebattler35 wrote:
5dave5 wrote:

imposible to hit moving target, needs autopilot for targeting still targets too

ofc it would :P, would be pretty funny to see them going about though.

and yeh it would rely too much on luck ^_^

Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:15 am
Profile E-mail
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 309 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 21  Next