It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 11:59 pm

Team: Matt And Jeff Industries
Main: OutlawStar
Level: 5
Class: None

Post Re: April 20th 2009 - Dev Update 12
pip8786 wrote:
We've had quite a few arguments about it between me + jey vs hal and jeff ... in that jey and i want seperate SVNs for easier patching but harder to commit correctly, HAL and jeff prefer the current system... its an ongoing debate.

Almost as bad as the tabs vs spaces debate eh pip. :P

Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:55 am
Profile E-mail

pearsoa wrote:
That is the most terrifying source control, with only one test system that dosen't truly represent client load, in a high avaliability environment.

I'm impressed we can even play :wink:

1. You've never encountered VSS. For that matter, the fact they use subversion alone makes it a step above 1/2 the industry that uses versioning software.
2. WAY to many developers have no !@#$ing clue what source control means, why it would be "useful" much less _necessary_. Actual quote from a dev when asked why he doesn't use a version control of some sort: Isn't that what tape backups are for?
3. Way way to many places have little or no testing enviroment. It was very very common in the dot-bomb days to do developement on the production machines, changing data/code/etc on the machine itself, compiling (if compiled) in place. At one place I worked, one of the devs used the prod server as his desktop.
4. True client load is often impossible to represent, as it is usually very chaotic in nature and event, it's volume is almost always greater than what can be reasonably created with tools available, etc. And generating breaking, or edge case volume is just about impossible in any dev enviroment.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:05 am

Team: Zephyr
Main: Churlish
Level: 1171
Class: Engineer

so what you're saying is what? it could be worse?

I have managed a few IT organisations that has done a worse job of development, UA and load testing, and many better. All were probably much better funded.

Just because it can, and has been done worse in other places dosen't make it any less terrifying to me.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:10 am