It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 5:19 pm

if you play computer games, do you become more violent?
Poll ended at Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:57 am
no it's rediculous, no effect at all 51%  51%  [ 18 ]
yes you become way more violent 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
no it actually has a positive impact making you less violent 42%  42%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 35

I would say none of those. I dont think they make you violent but I do think they affect you, in several ways.

Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:05 am

Team: Vanu Sovereignty
Main: SharkTooth
Level: 1067
Class: Berserker

If you're stupid enough then yes, it affects you.
But I voted no because it doesnt make sense that you would get affected.

(_x_) Docking denied. Move along.

Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:12 am

I didnt vote since no option suits my opinion.

It's different from person to person. Im sure games can make some people violent and some people less violent.

For most people Im guessing the kind of effects you get is that they get better at concentrating, they are training at doing several things at the same time, they learn how read and write better.

90% of the english I can I have learned by playing games and watching movies.

Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:33 am

I didnt vote since no option suits my opinion.

It's different from person to person. Im sure games can make some people violent and some people less violent.

For most people Im guessing the kind of effects you get is that they get better at concentrating, they are training at doing several things at the same time, they learn how read and write better.

90% of the english I can I have learned by playing games and watching movies.

Can't be bothered to write the same so I quote. :shock:

Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:34 am
Profile E-mail

Team: Strawberry Pancakes
Main: Dr Junkie
Level: 2230
Class: Berserker

First: What kinda games do you play?
Doom-clones with lots of splatter blood? Strategic games like command and conquer? Online games?

I am fairly sure that computer games affect people. Same as violent TV. Often TV shows a Hero solving problems through violence, while in RL violence never solves much even though the other person my be a jerk and we feel that "he deserves a good slapping". It doesn't solve anything.

In games like Starsonata we discover that we can quite often act as jerks without it having any real consequences. If we are stronger we can kill of bases/slaves without the owner doing anything. It seems that games like these often suggest that "Violence is a solution".
That said it doesn't automatically follow that this transfers to our perception on Real Life issues.

But I DO think that it affects is.
Im not saying that because ive played starsonata endless hours I will go take a gun and try to solve my problems, but I think it may move our social boundaries just a bit.

Gamejunkie

Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:41 am

I voted they do because my brother plays CS, and listens to really loud angry music, both make him violent. He also likes knives.

Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:46 am

I think in general they dont make you violent...the only game which i think does is games such as GTA which allow you to kill people in something based in real life where there are no consequences.

Games like these shouldnt ever be given to young kids because they take the idea to school and think its cool to be able to shoot people and not get killed/arrested.

Although games such as SS are social games and actualy get rid of anger and violence.

Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:49 am

If a person is partial to external influences violent games, books and films /can/ have an adverse affect on said persons behaviour.

Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:35 am

If a person is partial to external influences violent games, books and films /can/ have an adverse affect on said persons behaviour.

Indeed I agree with this completly. People are either prone to this kind of thing or not it depends on their upbringing and such. I say people because I would think that the younger you are the more prone your are to having your behaviour adjusted by some extrernal force.

This doesnt necerserily mean that a violent game makes you more violent it could have the opposite effect and make you into a quite a timid person too.

~ferret

Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:50 am

why imperium's members have the need to wish a terminal disease on me and insult my ancestors is beyond me, so i vote yes :P

Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:42 pm
Profile E-mail