It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:24 pm

Team: Eminence Front
Main: DemonBlood
Level: 1761
Class: Shield Monkey

Post message sent using neutrinos, etc
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 143146.htm

Quote:
A group of scientists led by researchers from the University of Rochester and North Carolina State University have for the first time sent a message using a beam of neutrinos -- nearly massless particles that travel at almost the speed of light. The message was sent through 240 meters of stone and said simply, "Neutrino."

"Using neutrinos, it would be possible to communicate between any two points on Earth without using satellites or cables," said Dan Stancil, professor of electrical and computer engineering at NC State and lead author of a paper describing the research.

well, if its viable, it would explain why SETI hasnt found anything yet

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 142841.htm

carbon monoxide on copper acts like graphene

Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:51 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: Caliente
Main: ormegano
Level: 2341
Class: Speed Demon

Post Re: message sent using neutrinos, etc
ive forgotten how to show my interest and appreciation of a topic without the accessibility of a "like" button

Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:08 am
Profile E-mail

Team: Dark Traders
Main: Threaten
Level: 2853

that's pretty cool
but not really cause db posted it

Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:43 am

Team: UnderDawgs
Main: FFs V
Level: 3006

/signed?

The Voomy One wrote:
You gotta be shitting me >_<

Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:27 am
Profile E-mail

Team: Strawberry Pancakes
Main: playerboy345
Level: 2035
Class: Berserker

Threaten wrote:
that's pretty cool

The Voomy One wrote:
Quote:
Runescape, Allows you to change your name every 30 days.

Runescape sucks so it doesnt count :P

Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:25 am
Profile E-mail

Threaten wrote:
that's pretty cool

eh also kills aliens and doesnt afraid of anything.

and it HAS ever really been as far as decided to want to use go do look more like

Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:33 am
Profile E-mail

Umm...what?

landswimmer wrote:
you know that even if you're wrong, they're more wrong. which makes you right.

Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:57 am
Profile E-mail

Main: playerboy345
Level: 2035
Class: Berserker

Jesus 2.0 wrote:
Umm...what?

The Voomy One wrote:
Quote:
Runescape, Allows you to change your name every 30 days.

Runescape sucks so it doesnt count :P

Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:58 am
Profile E-mail

Main: Radia
Level: 1101

Ugg, this is really interesting but it seems like DB is trying to argue some point.

No Context. Ever.
Idaten.

Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:58 am
Profile WWW

Visorak wrote:
Ugg, this is really interesting but it seems like DB is trying to argue some point.

yes, that threaten is a pretty cool guy, eh kills aliens and doesnt afraid of anything

but be warned, this is my first time trying to argue something that isnt true.

Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:32 pm
Profile E-mail

Main: Copernicus
Level: 884
Class: Gunner

Location: Here, floating in my tin can, far above the world...
I think everyone is just gun-shy around DB. :P

Anywho, it's cool science, bros. :)

F2P: Colonel Mustang

Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:33 pm
Profile E-mail

landswimmer wrote:
you know that even if you're wrong, they're more wrong. which makes you right.

Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:37 am
Profile E-mail

landswimmer wrote:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/03/120314143146.htm

Quote:
A group of scientists led by researchers from the University of Rochester and North Carolina State University have for the first time sent a message using a beam of neutrinos -- nearly massless particles that travel at almost the speed of light. The message was sent through 240 meters of stone and said simply, "Neutrino."

"Using neutrinos, it would be possible to communicate between any two points on Earth without using satellites or cables," said Dan Stancil, professor of electrical and computer engineering at NC State and lead author of a paper describing the research.

well, if its viable, it would explain why SETI hasnt found anything yet

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 142841.htm

carbon monoxide on copper acts like graphene

Couldn't resist, sorry.

You do realize Neutrinos passing through things is nothing new, right? It's INSANELY impratical to use for communications. Know how lead blocks even gamma rays? Well guess what. If Neutrinos are sent through a LIGHT YEAR of lead, half will come out. And considering the sheer number of them passing through you already... in the range of billions per inch... and given where neutrinos come from... well... yeah...

It would indeed explain why SETI hasn't found anything, who knows, maybe part of the massive number of neutrinos flooding the cosmos is from alien civilizations?

Further complicating the matter though is that neutrinos have a tendency of changing in mass by orders of magnitude for no apparent reason... (aka tune to 3 different masses to get them all)

It could indeed be one of the reasons SETI is missing things, but, we must remember, SETI searches for radio waves... What are the odds that another civilization wants to use radio waves? I mean... even our phones are on different frequencies... Then there are satellite phones that some people have, it could be quite possible that we're looking in the wrong frequency as well as in some cases the wrong medium.
--
And that magnetic field bit... I'm just going to take it as proof that physicists have no idea what they're doing. I'm looking forward to scientists discovering that the higgs boson doesn't exist. I also can't wait for them to figure out that electrons are not elementary particles.

[s]I'd like some proof that you guys are males[/s]

might be a bad idea nvm

Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:32 am
Profile E-mail

Main: Radia
Level: 1101

SkyTitan wrote:
And that magnetic field bit... I'm just going to take it as proof that physicists have no idea what they're doing. I'm looking forward to scientists discovering that the higgs boson doesn't exist. I also can't wait for them to figure out that electrons are not elementary particles.
Just... What exactly makes you more knowledgeable about this than the supposed experts?

No Context. Ever.
Idaten.

Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:37 am
Profile WWW

Visorak wrote:
SkyTitan wrote:
Just... What exactly makes you more knowledgeable about this than the supposed experts?

Their interpretation of the uncertainty principle, the fact that their theory won't describe the velocity curve of galaxies but mine will, the fact that they honestly said "make the electrons think they are in a huge magnetic field when, in fact, no real field had been applied" despite the fact that all fields don't actually exist.

Proof being that no field whatsoever will EVER exist for a single particle. "Oh, I know, that field that is only used to describe what happens between two particles, oh yeah, that can be used to store information." I mean, really, just how stupid are they? They haven't come up with anything new in something like, oh 70 freakin years? "Singularities" Nope, traces back to the time of Einstein. "Quantum Mechanics" Oh, sorry, Einstein started the whole 'Quantisized matter' deal. "The universe has 11 dimensions" Yeah... no evidence whatsoever, invented only to satisfy a Pythagorean like worship of numbers (super symmetric pairs if you want to google it) and look, some of those particles don't exist. "Gravity travels at the speed of light" Astronomy prooves otherwise. "The Higgs Boson is a big deal" No it's not, even Higgs himself has said it isn't as big a deal as they said it is. Plus, it doesn't exist in the sense they say it does. (if it does exist, the properties are off). Furthermore, the Higgs Boson is a stupid idea in general, at least in the way scientists view it. 'explains how all other particles have mass' 1. No it doesn't. 2. Explain how 3. Don't bring up supersymmetry or force decoupling in the explanation.

Let's take a look at that quote again shall we? "make the electrons think they are in a huge magnetic field when, in fact, no real field had been applied" Funny. The magnetic field is simply an illustration saying, if these two particles interact in this manner, they do this. Basicly, what the quote says is that these electrons do what they do because they do. And then he mentions no real field has been applied, which is even funnier in that none of them are real, just abstractions for visualizing how things interact.

Thus, scientific "laws" as in, this is how it do. Theories are "maybe this is why it do". Scientists have lost their ability to distinguish between the two dispite the obvious meaning of the words in general. They've all fallen victim to whatever this disease thing is...

tl;dr
1. Come back and read it again before even thinking of using your keyboard
2. Scientists are morons.
3. It's not that damn hard.
4. Everyone on the damned planet seams to be succumbing to it...

[s]I'd like some proof that you guys are males[/s]

might be a bad idea nvm

Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:16 am
Profile E-mail