It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 1:33 am

Should there be more 4 month universes? (This one being 4 month too)
Yes 71%  71%  [ 15 ]
No 28%  28%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 21

Post Length of Universes
OK as we all know the length of the universe varies. It used to be that it would be reset once a team has claimed emperor, but in the last year admins have forced resets because lag has become undurable and nobody was going to claim emperor. At the moment Pantalones are the only team capable of claiming emperor, but what they like to do is hold onto the last minute so that they claim emperor and also make maximum money out of their colonies.

Now this wasnt a problem, untill universes were just flashing by, every universe i have been in bar my beginning universe has lasted 3 months maximum, mainly due to lag. Normally around this time in a universe lag gets bad and people know the universe is going to be reset, but at the moment lag is not too bad, i play at between 5-10 FPS and lag is same to me as it is at the beginning of the universe. So should admins force a reset so soon or should they let i draw on and let there be a couple 4 month universes a year.

Now the benefit a 4 month uni brings is pretty much invaluable. I think the biggest thing it brings is balance to the economy, as many players can tell you, prices are fluctuating like crazy now, its nots stable, and why? There is not enough money flowing through the economy. The people with a lot of cash horde it and dont spend it, they build things like equanizers and sell them for 6-9b. (No offense meant at Mercs or JAWSS) How is the regular player supposed to compete with these and raise that sought of cash? Not easily. A 4 Month Universe also gives opportunity to use the rarest bps that get used up so easily in small universe. I will use DS as an example, there are only a precious few out there, at the moment 3 have been equippped THIS uni alone, i think 2 have dropped this uni, not very common as you can see. The people who have these BPs equipped cannot make full use of thse because of an impending uni reset, is it worth the risk?

Even if admins do not agree to a universe reset, they should at least agree to give us something like a 1 Month reset, that is ample time to finish building valuable gear and get the hell ready for the next uni.

Anyway thats just what i thought.

Discuss.

Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:56 am
Profile E-mail
Officer

Team: None
Main: PhysicalAbuse V
Level: 2007
Class: Speed Demon

and also, if the base gear is gonna decay, that means even more money that is being wasted...

Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:00 am

Ok the person who said no it would be nice to know you reasons, also anyone else got a comment?

Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:28 am
Profile E-mail

While the economics of S.S. are worthy of their own novel, I'll say this (being on JAWSS, and observing the top end, though not being one)...

Top end play depends on massive cash income to support any expansion of capabilities. The build cost on a top-flight Aug (PtE, anybody?) is greater than my entire income for my entire career.

Usually alot of that massive cash influx comes from having a large colony-base empire.. but that in and of itself requires a non-trivial investment, not only in cash, but in alts... as you need the EE's CA's to make money, and the Sniper/MF to spend it on to be able to kill the ubers for the rare commods that allow you to move towards the next lvl...

But what their not doing is hoarding the money. I watch junkie spend credits like water flowing over a waterfall, to continue to advance the teams ability to do things. If anything, the further along in this game you get, the more time you need to spend making money to allow you to 'reach out' for the next lvl. Im not yet 500, still tooling around in my Porp.. but the only way I'll be in an Equan, even at cost, before mid-next-uni will be the lovingkindness of others.

Now, I'll agree that not enough money flows THROUGH the economy.. the rich tend to take in mega amounts, and then turn around and pay it out in build costs/Gear glue, while the lower tiers take in smaller amounts, and use it to buy the things the rich build. While that cash flow 'upwards' isnt what makes the rich rich, it is a source of dissatisfaction to the poor, who spend days or weeks capping/killing/trading to blow it all on one high ticket item that they..
1.) Need, and
2.) Have NO WAY WHATSOEVER OF GETTING FOR THEMSELVES.

(note, 2. is its own huge problem throughout S.S... its the only MMO I've ever played where the way you get the things you need to advance is to beg/borrow/steal/buy it from those who already have.. but thats its own memo)

Maybe if there was something that the lower-levels could do, that would be of value to the mid-levels (perhaps REPEATABLE missions that give useful commods... time consuming enough that the mid-lvls wont do them themselves, but make the commods valuable enough that the mid-lvl finds it worth paying for.. and the low level finds the payout sufficient to make it worth their time to do), and something similar with mid and high level players.

Confound: Higher level players DO buy things from lower level players.. but I dont think this compares to what the lower level players spend on things from higher level players.

Ive gone a'rambling, and I'm not sure what the 'point' of this all is, anymore, save to say that as someone who ISNT an 'uber', but who associates with them... In my experience, they are better likened not to filthy-rich misers, or dragons sitting on vast hordes of accumulated wealth, all the while doleing out tiny rewards to make the puppets dance.. but more to high speed jet aircraft, whose pheonmenal income is matched only by an incredible burn rate.

Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:32 am

Well I have to say im not exactly uber myself, most of ss can agree with me there. I know your on JAWSS, what im saying is that the rich are charging ridiculous prices because they dont need cash, but poor people need the ship. I mean from 3.5b to 6b is a big jump for JAWSS. 3.5b was a very reasonable price, but by charging over 5b its unlikely to sell, but the ubers dont need a sale, heck they would like one im guessing though ( at the 6b sxp sells at thats a 10x profit ). People in things like porps are in for porps for 2 reasons, 1 because rm is too hard, which thanar has solved now, and 2 because people are charging what they think is reasonable, but the lower players do not have anywhere near enough cash. Also i think PtE costs around what 5-6b to make?

Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:39 am
Profile E-mail

You know I don't even care how long this uni takes (it sucks for me anyway - it owns for you so you want extension :P) but I do want to know 2 or 3 weeks up ahead when a forced reset will be. I'm planning on building a Death Striker as soon as I get my hands on commod... problem is I don't want it to be at 90% when the universe resets and the base building it is destroyed...

Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:13 am

Well, I cant comment on the pricing of various ships, etc... all I can say is I see how much money an uber burns (ive watched it fly past...)

Although, after doing some number crunching, I'm starting to wonder if P20 is as important as W20...

Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:41 am

Well, I cant comment on the pricing of various ships, etc... all I can say is I see how much money an uber burns (ive watched it fly past...)

Although, after doing some number crunching, I'm starting to wonder if P20 is as important as W20...

yes ive had first hand experience of how much money an uber can burn, and im nto even burn, but then to the top players money is shit all, they just build stuff for the sake of teasing noobies *cough SXP, NB cough*

Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:44 am
Profile E-mail

Quote:
Should there be more 4 month universes?

I think in an ideal world the universe should last until someone takes the throne... But there are technical concerns as well as economic concerns.

After about a month and a half my income dried up. Most of my income I make comes near the middle of the universe while after that it slowly trickles in. So if the universe lasts for 5 months I won't realy be makeing alot of money for 3 of those months and I think alot of people would be in same boat with me.

As for this comment:
Quote:
Pantalones are the only team capable of claiming emperor

Actualy pants only have about half the pop they would need to claim emp from the last estiment I saw. They would need to take over Merc and cap colonys to even qualify for emp run and then... I'm not sure they have the ability to defend it all... expecialy with two pissed off teams gunning for them.:)

Exactly, in an ideal world i would like it to carry on till emp, but reason it is reset is cuz of lag and stuff. also pants are the only team capable of doign atm, it would mean swallowing up other teams but tbh what team is gonna swallow pants up atm?

Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:45 am
Profile E-mail

true cuz of JAWSS, but Pants still pose a MAJOR threat.

Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:10 am
Profile E-mail

Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:32 am
Profile E-mail