Total votes : 21

Team: Eminence Front
Main: DemonBlood
Level: 1761
Class: Shield Monkey

Post finite planetary resources
the change would be to the way extractors work

currently you're limited in how many you can equip

the idea, is to allow as many extractors as needed, and limit the amount of total resources, so that players still get the same amount of resouces, but they have more control over how quickly they get them (this also gives a much better "reason" for why resets happen)

ExE would need to be changed to improve "efficiency" of extractors (so that they still give the same increases in the amount that can be extracted)

other than that, the only real effect would be a reduction in the "independence" of bases and defences.

certain commodities, such as space oats, would remain limited in extraction rates, and infinite in supply, out of neccesity.

this should serve to make the first few weeks of a new uni more interesting, since the rarest most valuable commodities must be fought for, enticing larger teams to overstretch themselves and allowing weaker teams to get more of these commodities than they would otherwise be able, before a larger team attempts to "steal" the galaxies from them (it also increases the likelihood of conflict, since there will only be a small window of opportunity before those resources are gone)

/discuss

Tue May 15, 2012 5:50 am
Profile E-mail

Team: None
Main: Blizzara
Level: 2100
Class: Engineer

Post Re: finite planetary resources
I found ada moon. I equip 60 ada extractors and no one except me can get ada. Is that what you meant?

Tue May 15, 2012 8:50 am

Main: __
Level: 2482
Class: Berserker

Seems like this would only serve to drain all the special commods from the game at the very beginning of the universe.

It could work if new resources appeared on planets randomly as the universe progressed. That would also stimulate pvp and bvb as you could run out of ada mid-universe and have to expand to somewhere else. On the other hand, you might find a new stash inside your current borders and all would be right with the universe and all living things.

landswimmer wrote:
ALL HAIL CYG THE MESSIAH!

Tue May 15, 2012 12:49 pm
Profile E-mail

Main: Radia
Level: 1101
Class: Speed Demon

Cygnus pretty much hit the nail on the head.

I would have to say no. While it would be cool in theory, either everyone gets a thousand extractors and everything is gone in 2 weeks, or new resources pop up randomly.

Tbh, having to scan all of my planets every week would get very annoying very quickly.

No Context. Ever.
Idaten.

Tue May 15, 2012 1:36 pm
Profile WWW

adding extra resources later on would defeat the purpose, and would increase the total avaliable, which isnt the goal of the idea.

so you wouldnt need to scan your planets any more than you already do.

Cygnus wrote:
Seems like this would only serve to drain all the special commods from the game at the very beginning of the universe.

yup. instead of the "new uni rush" lasting a few hours, it lasts a few weeks, with teams having to fight over the rare and valuable resources, it would force players to move when resources run out, and allows smaller teams to get a "head start" on the less rare commods that they need for their builds. rather than players "locking down" their claims of everything they'll need for the uni, they'll have to focus on rare stuff they need early on, and they'll need to reclaim the nice colony planets and other stuff once they've gotten those rare resources.

and that will require them to fight other teams, and work together. its an excuse for team based PvP/PvB/BvB

Antilzah wrote:
I found ada moon. I equip 60 ada extractors and no one except me can get ada. Is that what you meant?

you equip 60 ada extractors and you only have to defend the moon for a week, which is good, since during that week you'll be getting attacked often, but on the flipside, you'll be making far more profit than you could otherwise. you'll be forced to work with your team to defend that moon, and any other ada sources you get.

it will make teamwork essential, and that is how it will improve the game.

Tue May 15, 2012 9:44 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: Dark Traders
Main: Max235
Level: 1821
Class: Seer

Except, that moving/bvb require additional Base Augs. Most teams can get enough for that one placement.

So the majority of teams will get run over by SBP/TDT?

No thank you.

Tue May 15, 2012 10:13 pm

Team: Aidelon
Main: the speed of dark
Level: 1874

bases are already difficult and time consuming...

planetary distasters/ rebel strikes are a better direction

Tue May 15, 2012 10:47 pm
Profile E-mail

a jedi master wrote:
bases are already difficult and time consuming...

that is a problem with bases. not with planets.

bases are too time consuming and tedious, many times i have suggested that they be simplified, and the very suggestion that something needs to be done is always rejected.

what i am suggesting will be an improvement to the current game mechanic. if it would add too much complexity to base building, then perhaps base building is already too complex.

personally, i'd prefer if the "base building" mechanic was replaced by "planetary development" like in the game sins of a solar empire.

BPs and augs for base gear could be replaced by simple upgrade options which use the same amount of resources and raw materials, colonies could be integrated, and the whole system would become much easier to balance and manage.

since base gear and base augs are built in bases it makes sense to just have it all self contained in one simple system

Tue May 15, 2012 11:16 pm
Profile E-mail

Main: Kyp
Level: 2610

Max235 wrote:

The proper combining of the two team names is (D)TR

As for the actual topic: No. If you think moving bases around every few days to exploit other sources of rare commodities sounds like a good idea, you clearly don't build bases. Get some experience before you go suggesting insane things.

Tue May 15, 2012 11:38 pm

Zekk wrote:
Max235 wrote:

The proper combining of the two team names is (D)TR

As for the actual topic: No. If you think moving bases around every few days to exploit other sources of rare commodities sounds like a good idea, you clearly don't build bases. Get some experience before you go suggesting insane things.

you can play exactly the same way you normally play, you just wont get as much benefit as the people who move around and "participate"

the only players who would be moving bases, are the ones who want to get extra resources, because the total avaliable will be EXACTLY THE SAME as the amount you would get, with the maxiumum amount of extractors, for the every second of the uni

you still get the same amount, you just get them when you want, rather than at a slow trickle

its just like the colony system, not everyone builds colonies, but the people who do, benefit from it. it costs them more credits and time, but they earn back far more credits than players who dont build bases.

its a benefit really, once a galaxy runs dry of the valuable resources you can pack up and leave, meaning you dont have to maintain those bases anymore.

and as for the "Get some experience before you go suggesting insane things." comment, please understand that i am fighting the urge to hurl obscenities at you for your failure to understand how your criticism of the suggestion makes no sense, the only people who would move their bases are those who CHOOSE TO DO IT, FOR THEIR OWN BENEFIT.

tl;dr - it would give the OPTION to move and take MORE THAN YOU NORMALLY WOULD BE ABLE. you can still play EXACTLY the same way you did before the change, and you would receive no less resources than you otherwise would.

and before you bitch about the caps, be glad this whole post isnt a tirade against your inability to comprehend the implied effects of the suggestion if implemented. because people who respond to moot points because they dont understand why those points are moot, are irritating. by doing it, you're trolling without being aware that you're trolling.

Wed May 16, 2012 1:42 am
Profile E-mail

Team: Resident Evil
Main: Time Warp
Level: 3162

This would require a utopian SS community.

The game is to free for anything like this to work properly, and on that note, I like it the way it is.

I think the core reason you're suggesting this is just another jab at the fundamental flaw of money-creation in SS - Passive colonies. This will not fix it and will mean a huge pain in the side for all players requiring a huge uprooting of standard play. Poor suggestion.

Timmeh

~Oscar Wilde

andezrhode2a wrote:
Timmeh is the exception to every rule.
Battlecruiser23 wrote:
/Timmeh!
I mean /signed!
sabre198 wrote:
1. Create C2
2. Time Warp quits
3. New players join
4. ... Profit?!?

Wed May 16, 2012 5:55 am
Profile E-mail

Mail wrote:
This would require a utopian SS community. no, did you read the suggestion?

The game is to free for anything like this to work properly, and on that note, I like it the way it is. in what way? the only thing that would change is that people who want to spend more on extractors so they can get their commods faster, are now able. (at the expense of the resources being depleted before the uni ends. they would get the exact same amount, just faster.)

I think the core reason you're suggesting this is just another jab at the fundamental flaw of money-creation in SS - Passive colonies. now, its statements like that which make me think you didnt even read the suggestion in the first place. This will not fix it and will mean a huge pain in the side for all players requiring a huge uprooting of standard play. Poor suggestion.

Timmeh

it wont mean any uprooting of standard play. did you even read the suggestion?

it just means having the added option to extract what you wouldve gotten anyway, a bit faster, at the cost of having to build more extractors, which you arent REQUIRED to do.

nothing else changes. for the lazy players who're anal about only doing base building at the start of the uni, absolutely nothing will change

it wouldnt affect colonies in any way whatsoever. if anything, it would make them more profitable since after you deplete resources on the colony planet, you can nuke the extractor bases, rebuild them elsewhere, and sell more to the colony than you otherwise would be able to.

Wed May 16, 2012 7:00 am
Profile E-mail

Main: Max235
Level: 1821
Class: Seer

It will affect colonies. Not the intended effect, but still affect.

Say you normally get X Commods over the course of 3 months. You can build 10 extractors per site and receive the same in 1 month. When the resources run out, this team packs up kits and moves the bases to a new galaxy.

Your galaxy.

Good bye galaxy.

The only two teams that can realistically do this move more than one time a universe would be, dun dun dun, SBP and TDT.

All this suggestion would serve is to squash any neutral/smaller teams next to anything even remotely bigger than it at or better at BvB.

And to counter or to guard against the bigger teams from doing this, alliances will be formed. Didn't JeffL said he was against anything that might give rise to alliances?

Exactly.

Wed May 16, 2012 7:10 am

Team: Resident Evil
Main: Lord Runningclam
Level: 3813

If this works the way you want it it will utterly cripple the tier 3 commod market - which can be a crucial source of income for many players - in fact, it is what allows an ExE player to make money in lieu of building colonies. I would see no point in buying tier 3 commods if I knew I could up and build a base, equip 400 extractors, then move to another planet a day or two later, do the same, the same... It would be devastating to the economy once people developed the materials to be able to fully exploit it.

The entire commod market is founded on rarity, and this suggestion would essentially eliminate rarity.

Wed May 16, 2012 7:25 am

Lord Runningclam wrote:
If this works the way you want it it will utterly cripple the tier 3 commod market - which can be a crucial source of income for many players - in fact, it is what allows an ExE player to make money in lieu of building colonies. I would see no point in buying tier 3 commods if I knew I could up and build a base, equip 400 extractors, then move to another planet a day or two later, do the same, the same... It would be devastating to the economy once people developed the materials to be able to fully exploit it.

The entire commod market is founded on rarity, and this suggestion would essentially eliminate rarity.

there would be no change to the total

it would make tier 3 commods abundant in the early universe, but the price would rise exponentially later on as supplies begin to run dry, as there would no "extra" resources

moving on to a new area would require fighting another team who likely would have their extractors set up at the same time

all this suggestion would eliminate, is the slow trickle

and if you dont like having to fight for your resources then you're missing the point of the game. if SBP is the only team who can take advantage of this then its a sign of a deeper problem with the base building system itself.

Wed May 16, 2012 4:46 pm
Profile E-mail