It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:58 am

Dev Team

Team: Eminence Front
Main: Jey123456
Level: 3267
Class: Fleet Commander

Post Re: Revamp of the current way F2P works.
the alien invasion is not what i was referring to, since its more aimed at high end players (if we ever finish deciding on how its supposed to be :P).

supernova or "mini reset" in celestial garden is what i was reffering to. Although like many other things its currently on the backburner since its not a priority considering CG is barely filled at all.

And yea, a new player has literally 0 impact on the server load. ok 100000 f2p online might, but well face that issue once it appear ! :P

Currently way over 60% of the server frame is spent on userbases and slaves/AI. Players cost bandwith yes, but our bandwith is optimised enough that this cost is way lower than the cost we get from players downloading the game ! :P (and even then thats not exactly high or anything when compared to the simple cost of the server itself).

Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:40 pm

Main: Mew Meeow
Level: 1244
Class: Shield Monkey

anilv wrote:
Swift.Kill wrote:
Jey123456 wrote:
The f2p limitations are currently made so that they basicly cannot stress the server. Players online themself, are a very very small fraction of the server load, What does load the server are all those bases and tradeslaves in wildspace (and celestial garden currently, but there are things in progress to make it a lot harder to have long term bases in there).

In this case couldent we make a Premium blockade at about 2 bases and 4 slaves for F2P?

No, because you can create arbitrarily many f2p accounts to lay bases if you are determined enough. But periodically wiping bases in Celestial Gardens may not even be necessary if what Blizz says is true.

In order to prevent a army of fail bases taking up space´woudlent it be posible to make a Termite in Cele whit 100% resistance to all and about the power of a Adonis X/Argo base but whit a reversed sniper analysis (the more it stays on 1 target the less resistance it gets)

playerboy345 wrote:
Swift.Kill wrote:
u havent tryed 5 Ada Rage BS Zerker yet WHIT LINCIN :D

u havent tryed 5 STFU WITH YOUR BS WHIT GTFO :D

Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:21 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: Dark Traders
Main: enkelin
Level: 3002
Class: Speed Demon

No sense in worrying about that unless Celestial Garden actually starts getting crowded. At the moment it seems no one is really interested in packing it full of bases.

(Bluenoser) Put your finger in your mouth and gag reflex should do the rest

Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:23 pm

Team: The Forgotten Colonies
Main: PM Me If You Suck
Level: 1996
Class: Gunner

anilv wrote:
No sense in worrying about that unless Celestial Garden actually starts getting crowded. At the moment it seems no one is really interested in packing it full of bases.

Challange Accepted. :)

Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:17 pm

Camsy wrote:
anilv wrote:

Thought the exact same thing when I saw that. Good luck and have fun with that, wish I could join you.

Also, I brought it up with Hal before, he dismissed this by saying ai use the most of the server load, even though Jeff himself said the limitation would be with bases. Hal just thought-screw it

I've said it before, the code for calculating bases is incredibly inefficient. It litterally runs every calculation every ten seconds. I could do it with time stamps(sys clock, what ever) in c++, give me a list of variables it needs to calculate and I'll do it. Have the basic rations and extractions done, really...

It's not that hard even... I just need to know what the server does when it reaches a conflict (with extractors) and if there's anything wierd that it does and it's done. Yeah, yeah, basic colony trading, etc has a work around in it. Not asking for those calcs.

[s]I'd like some proof that you guys are males[/s]

might be a bad idea nvm

Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:45 am
Profile E-mail
Dev Team

Main: Jey123456
Level: 3267
Class: Fleet Commander

SkyTitan wrote:
Camsy wrote:
anilv wrote:

Thought the exact same thing when I saw that. Good luck and have fun with that, wish I could join you.

Also, I brought it up with Hal before, he dismissed this by saying ai use the most of the server load, even though Jeff himself said the limitation would be with bases. Hal just thought-screw it

I've said it before, the code for calculating bases is incredibly inefficient. It litterally runs every calculation every ten seconds. I could do it with time stamps(sys clock, what ever) in c++, give me a list of variables it needs to calculate and I'll do it. Have the basic rations and extractions done, really...

It's not that hard even... I just need to know what the server does when it reaches a conflict (with extractors) and if there's anything wierd that it does and it's done. Yeah, yeah, basic colony trading, etc has a work around in it. Not asking for those calcs.

Its not the ration/workers thats costing lots of cpu load :P. also, bases are not idled every 10 seconds. The heaviest part, is the code that look for potential target (while it is heavily optimised for when there is no hostile target in the gal, it still need to do the actual check), There is also the items idle, some bases have thousands of items with decay, timed event (factories/item generator), shield, energy, panels etc. They all are very fast, but its still code that need to be done a few millions times.

The code is following an object oriented approach, which also mean that base and ship both share the same item code (from husk), If you have c++ knowledge and really want to help, please contact jeff (jeff {at} starsonata.com and give him the details, were always looking for some more help ;P).

But as i said, you seem to be underestimating the code proportions XD.

Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:08 am

Ah, psshh, I totally knew about that stuff :roll: Actually, I did, except that targeting thing. I even went so far as to anticipate slaves docking ^^.

For coding... I haven't actually finished anything, per se. I've mostly done parts of code and gotten hung up on making a whole rest of the game. I have done some work(work as in, playing with coding in my free time) on "onchange" functions. Basicly, the whole thing does nothing until triggered. And yes, I know the code runs millions of times, that's the part I was working on optimizing. I've got it working in my head already! =P

What I really want to do is get a better graphics engine running. Current one is great and all but it uses polygons. I'm not seeing how the bucket fill explanation really applies.

"Make wire frame with this matrix transformation"
"Okay"
"Now bucket fill"
"k"
"Apply texture"
"Hold on there, it doesn't work like that bucko. You don't just 'apply texture'"
"Sure you do"
"No, you don't"

But, yeah...

[s]I'd like some proof that you guys are males[/s]

might be a bad idea nvm

Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:05 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: None
Main: Blizzara
Level: 2100
Class: Engineer

Camsy wrote:
anilv wrote:

I thought of leveling up 10+ f2p chars for building in CG. I realised it's not worth the effort even though it takes me only like 2 days to get a char from 0 to 500.

Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:29 pm