It is currently Tue May 28, 2024 6:32 am

Team: Eminence Front
Main: __
Level: 2482
Class: Berserker

Post Immediate Class Skill Bonuses.
It has recently come to my attention that it is significantly more difficult to level as a class that does not use slaves when compared to a class that does. This becomes extremely evident with classes such as zerker and seer, which are practically impossible to level as until level 100 or even as high as 250.

My idea for a solution is that, upon choosing a class, you immediately receive a large boost along the lines of that class. This already takes place to some extent with the Engineer class; upon getting level 1 in drone mastery, you immediately get the ability to deploy 4 rather than three drones, giving you a massive boost along those lines. What we need to do, then, is give all classes either a class boost that allows them to immediately exploit their class, or change their skills to a more immediate reward system, allowing them to more accurately play that class playstyle immediately.
For example, at level 1 in zerker and the subskills, a zerker might get the ability to multifire, as well as a significant boost to resists. A gunner might be given a small missile launcher as well as directions to hyperion; a shield monkey would get a big boost to shield bank and a smaller boost to slave damage. A seer would be given an actually decent cloak and a low tech high damage per shot weapon, as well as getting the “shot from behind” bonus immediately.

All just ideas, but the point is to make all the classes relevant at an earlier point in the game, making them actually have a point for their first 200 levels or so. Thoughts?

landswimmer wrote:
ALL HAIL CYG THE MESSIAH!

Last edited by Cygnus on Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:31 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: Dark Traders
Main: Qlimax
Level: 1753
Class: Seer

Post Re: Immediate Class Skill Bonuses.
you recently seem to complain more then basta. and how the things are currently are fine for me.
/unsigned

Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:33 pm
Profile E-mail

Yeah, got to level 72, went zerker for multifire got level 5 in it and the multifiring subskill. You can't level as any class that easily anymore. You have to adapt, you just don't have access to extra skill points for class skills anymore.

[s]I'd like some proof that you guys are males[/s]

might be a bad idea nvm

Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:41 pm
Profile E-mail

I'm not complaining, I'm giving legitimate criticism. I find it flawed that choosing a class has effectively no significant impact on your character for the first 200 levels and 10 skill levels in the class, since it is one of the most significant choices you will make for a significant period of time.

Before you comment, have you attempted to level with a zerker or seer playstyle recently? Even if not, you should know that they're nearly impossible, and you can't agree that that's right.

landswimmer wrote:

Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:08 am
Profile E-mail

Main: Spatzz
Level: 2402
Class: Engineer

Cyg is right.

Things like this could easily be done by introducing pretty strong items that have a high level lock. As in you can use this cool pretty much broken-at-current-level Seer weapon but at level 75 you no longer can.

All classes could have items like this that help them through the tough early stages and give nubs an idea of how the class is suppose to be played.

Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:11 am
Profile E-mail

Main: Eurus
Level: 2330
Class: Shield Monkey

I don't really like the idea of a large initial boost... it seems rather hax to spend a few SP and get a massive boost.

Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:16 am
Profile E-mail

Main: Spatzz
Level: 2402

Chaosking3 wrote:
Cyg is right.

Things like this could easily be done by introducing pretty strong items that have a high level lock. As in you can use this cool pretty much broken-at-current-level Seer weapon but at level 75 you no longer can.

All classes could have items like this that help them through the tough early stages and give nubs an idea of how the class is suppose to be played.

Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:43 am
Profile E-mail

Team: Heaven
Main: Lemon
Level: 2187

I think there should be some sort of power boost curve, relatively high boosts early, and then scaling off the improvements the more levels you put in.

Rewards early investment, but not too much, and makes getting those last few levels more of a fine-tweaking thing, like bar skills or imp skills. When you can afford to spend a ton for a small improvement.

Teh Meo :)

Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:59 am

Team: First Blood Resurrection
Main: BipolarJuice
Level: 210
Class: Fleet Commander

You could have the power boost on a quadratic curve - large boosts at the beginning and end with a not so large one in the middle.

Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:14 am
Profile E-mail

Bipolar_Juice wrote:
You could have the power boost on a quadratic curve - large boosts at the beginning and end with a not so large one in the middle.

ELITE wrote:
I think there should be some sort of power boost curve, relatively high boosts early, and then scaling off the improvements the more levels you put in.

Rewards early investment, but not too much, and makes getting those last few levels more of a fine-tweaking thing, like bar skills or imp skills. When you can afford to spend a ton for a small improvement.

Either of these seem like good ways to go. The trouble with items is the same as the trouble with the extremely good super items on early-game ships; once you have them, there is very little incentive to upgrade past them, even well beyond the point where you normally would have done so.

landswimmer wrote:

Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:01 pm
Profile E-mail

That, and as it's been said before: If you need to add new items to the game to make a class viable, it's probably broken.

In this case, every class is now worthless(at lower levels) because of the skill cost hike. You could argue that ai levels have been beefed. But it wouldn't matter, the formula for exp is exponential towards less exp, not linear. In any case, the sp we're using for gear now, used to go towards class skills. After all, level limitations meant you just kept the SP you needed for the next level on hand until you hit the level you needed for it. Aka 150 levels of SP were free at lv 550.

[s]I'd like some proof that you guys are males[/s]

might be a bad idea nvm

Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:12 pm
Profile E-mail

Main: Radia
Level: 1101
Class: Speed Demon

Yup. I am completely against items being added for this reason.

There is a problem with the way class skills and skill points work out. It needs a fix, not a hacky solution. Because the hacky solution always comes back and bites everyone in the butt.

No Context. Ever.
Idaten.

Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:49 am
Profile WWW

Team: Contingency
Main: Stabberz
Level: 2153
Class: Gunner

In many games there are curves, and Star Sonata should have them as well.

In Star Sonata, there are no skill curves and it causes many potential p2p'ers to leave because of absolute boredom.

People want immediate gratification as well as skills tailored to their desire playstyle.

In my opinion, Players should be given a description of each class at the start of the game, they should be able to class into that skill, and they should receive starting gear for said class. While they are level 30 or lower, they should be given unlimited free reclasses in the Nexus. Classes should also feature a skill curve that decreases in the higher levels to plateau the power.

This way, the player is allowed diversity, instead of being forced to be a medium ranged fighter using magcannons or pulses. Not only that, but other MMO's do this as well. No one likes stale combat, and everyone in the MMO business has realized this years ago (except for Runescape, but Runescape sucks so it doesn't count).

Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:43 am

Team: Heaven
Main: Paxx
Level: 2918

Actually most successful mmo's have a beginning class, like "vagrant" for players to level up in and learn the game, and then when you reach a certain level you choose a class that you want to play for the rest of the game, and there are no "class change."

Honestly the current style has done well for star sonata thus far, your assuming people need direction and arnt creative with there play style.

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/2103/mutes.jpg

playerboy345 wrote:
Hai

Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:02 am
Profile E-mail

Team: Contingency
Main: Stabberz
Level: 2153
Class: Gunner

FlyFF is the only one I know of that does that, and it's a shitty MMO.

Look at WoW, Guild Wars 2, SWTOR, Rift, DCUniverse, etc..

Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:14 am