It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:52 am

Team: Traders
Main: Bonecrusher
Level: 2144
Class: Shield Monkey

Post Missiles
As far as I'm concerned ALL missiles in SS have underpowered engines.

1. There is no need for acceleration inertia dampeners.

2. They should all have over 100 Gs of thrust, and the T20+ should have well over 1,000 Gs of thrust, and no speed limit.

3. They should have predictive computers that know where their target will be and aim for that spot and not try to run it down.

4. They should NOT have an infinite energy source for their engines and once it is out of fuel they should self detonate or if their target(s) is/are destroyed fly back to the ship/base that fired them and dock.

Last edited by Bonecrusher on Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:42 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: Dark Traders
Main: Max235
Level: 1821
Class: Seer

Post Re: Missiles
Shield Monkeys can HEAL things. Magic does not exist. Therefore, we should just delete Shield Monkey from Star Sonata.

Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:47 pm

Team: Eminence Front
Main: Eurus
Level: 2330

Max235 wrote:
Shield Monkeys can HEAL things. Magic does not exist. Therefore, we should just delete Shield Monkey from Star Sonata.

Obviously they use a specialized device to share what are known as 'shields'. The healer's shielding is focused and channeled in such a way as to meld with the patient's own defence mechanism, creating a continuous flow of...

w/e, just stop saying irrelevant absurdities. Next you'll be questioning adum himself.

Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:11 pm
Profile E-mail

Main: __
Level: 2482
Class: Berserker

Sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from SCIENCE!

landswimmer wrote:
ALL HAIL CYG THE MESSIAH!

Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:19 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: Contingency
Main: Stabberz
Level: 2153
Class: Gunner

Magnets.

/thread

But seriously, there's a reason why things have a max speed of 700: high speeds can increase stress on the server. I do agree with a time limit on missiles, though. At the moment, cheetah missiles are the only missiles that do this.

Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:04 pm

Main: Mew Meeow
Level: 1244

i fail to see where missilies need a enigen beef seeing how some of them are more agile then me (SD using a BMT on a lightweight ship)

playerboy345 wrote:
Swift.Kill wrote:
u havent tryed 5 Ada Rage BS Zerker yet WHIT LINCIN :D

u havent tryed 5 STFU WITH YOUR BS WHIT GTFO :D

Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:11 am
Profile E-mail

Main: Radia
Level: 1101
Class: Speed Demon

Bonecrusher wrote:

4. They should NOT have an infinite energy source for their engines and once it is out of fuel they should self detonate or if their target(s) is/are destroyed fly back to the ship/base that fired them and dock.

Wuuuuut? No. Think about it. What powers our engines now? Your finger pumping the thrust button. They don't take energy, fuel, or mana to thrust. So why should missiles do so? Also, flying back and docking? You are confusing missiles with fighters. Because in reality (which you are so fond of), no missiles come back to base after being fired.(unless it's april fools ofc.)

By the troll handbook (on page 344, part 2) I have won this argument by attacking the weakest link of your post. This cannot be disputed (by troll postulate 3).

Not everything has to match up with reality. This is a video game, and whether by limits coming from the programming or just plain artistic style, it will not be like real life. And that's fine, so long as you have an imagination.

No Context. Ever.
Idaten.

Last edited by Visorak on Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:52 am
Profile WWW

Team: Dark Traders
Main: Max235
Level: 1821
Class: Seer

Missiles come back if they are using a shitty FoF device. Always nice to see a US sidewinder destroy the Phantom that fired it.

Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:54 am

Bonecrusher wrote:

2. They should all have over 100 Gs of thrust, and the T20+ should have well over 1,000 Gs of thrust, and no speed limit.

3. They should have predictive computers that know where their target will be and aim for that spot and not try to run it down.

1. Yes, there is: with their weight, if they don't have an -inertia device on board, any nearby explosion throws them 1000's of distance away. That's why they got their -inertia devices in the first place. Oh, wait, I've a feeling you're using words without knowing how missiles work in game.

2. Jeff coded it so that most missiles are launched at full speed anyway. In fact, I was attempting to make missiles of a variety that sped up from a slow launch, and couldn't due to this.

3. Riiiiight. I'll leave you to think about the strain on the server of an AI constantly attempting to predict your vector / speed and intercept position at their current speed. Your system has problems loading the preload screen in under five minutes, it isn't going to enjoy the extra calculations.

4. Missiles already have a lifespan to simulate this; in fact, the lifespan of all missiles was drastically reduced (halved in many cases) to prevent "infinite follow + never catch up" issues.

Missiles are nothing more than slaves, really. Slaves that use a self-harming weapon [warhead] that also damages a target. Attempting to apply real world logic to this is going to fail, and fail badly. As far as I'm concerned, and as far as most player feedback is concerned, the missile upgrade has gone well. I'll tweak a bit more, but that part of the Gunner upgrade is a done deal.

Oh, and you're welcome. Not that you use missiles.

Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:09 am
Profile E-mail

Team: Traders
Main: Bonecrusher
Level: 2144

Bonecrusher wrote:

Aurora Ex Machina wrote:
1. Yes, there is: with their weight, if they don't have an -inertia device on board, any nearby explosion throws them 1000's of distance away. That's why they got their -inertia devices in the first place. Oh, wait, I've a feeling you're using words without knowing how missiles work in game.

An effect that is MORONICALLY STUPID in a space based game.

Aurora Ex Machina wrote:
2. Jeff coded it so that most missiles are launched at full speed anyway. In fact, I was attempting to make missiles of a variety that sped up from a slow launch, and couldn't due to this.

And my point is that they should all cap out at max SS allowed acceleration, ... very quickly.

Let see what the actual payload is for a missile: Engine, Targeting computer, payload, ... bomb. Unless the missile is a basic design with out the computer ... aim and fire... but make sure you're aiming at where your target will be when the missile gets there.

Aurora Ex Machina wrote:
3. Riiiiight. I'll leave you to think about the strain on the server of an AI constantly attempting to predict your vector / speed and intercept position at their current speed. Your system has problems loading the preload screen in under five minutes, it isn't going to enjoy the extra calculations.

And you haven't really thought about ALL extra CPU cycles that are wasted using the IDIOTIC follow/track-down code that SS has now for both missiles and Trade Slaves. Hell even the tracking shots from your ship and base weapons use more CPU time than today's military weapons.

Think about it for a minute, ... Before a missile is launched there is enough data to correctly predict where a target will be when the missile gets there, IF the target doesn't change course. The same for Trade Slaves.

IF the target changes coarse then the missile will need to adapt and alter its intercept vector.

Combat slaves are a totally different issue, ... but they too need a drastic over haul.

Aurora Ex Machina wrote:
4. Missiles already have a lifespan to simulate this; in fact, the lifespan of all missiles was drastically reduced (halved in many cases) to prevent "infinite follow + never catch up" issues.

And that is my point, ... follow and never catch! Go where the target will be when you get there and go BOOM!

Aurora Ex Machina wrote:
Missiles are nothing more than slaves, really. Slaves that use a self-harming weapon [warhead] that also damages a target. Attempting to apply real world logic to this is going to fail, and fail badly. As far as I'm concerned, and as far as most player feedback is concerned, the missile upgrade has gone well. I'll tweak a bit more, but that part of the Gunner upgrade is a done deal.

I don't think you have the math skills to tweak missiles, trade slaves, or anything else. You would fail horribly as a boat skipper trying to intercept another moving boat at sea on a 2D surface. And even more horribly as a fighter pilot trying to intercept an enemy bogey in 3D air space.

Oh WAIT! Most of our boats and planes today have these revolutionary things called computers! They take your current position, speed and your target's current position and speed and do a LITTLE math and come up with an INTERCEPT coarse, give the pilot/captain a new heading and speed and BINGO! No MORONIC chase down! And those boats that don't have computers, need to have their skippers well versed in maritime navigation skills, I.E., MATH.

And YES I do realize that there is more to it than that is the real world, ... boats have to deal with windage and currents while planes have to mostly deal with windage.

I strongly suggest you get your young head out of your computer and take ground schools for both planes and ships.

Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:08 pm
Profile E-mail

Missiles going 700 will break:

1) AI DPS on any & all AI that use missiles
2) Gunner DPS ~ it will magnify it by an order of 400 - 600% dependent on launcher used
3) PvP missile balance

And so on.

Bonecrusher wrote:
I don't think you have the math skills to tweak missiles, trade slaves, or anything else.

Stuff I have balanced / created in 5 years of adding content:

1) Original Gunner class [all missiles, factories, etc]
2) All player used auras, across the board
3) All drone auras, barring newer C&C / Bubble ones
4) More than a few player ships: roughly 9 if I can remember them
5) Capital ship gear
6) Over 300 missions + made their rewards
7) 39 unique AI builds
8.) All Oly BPs / builds
9) Balanced a huge number of augs ~ including stuff like Wattage augs
10) Halloween content of Trolls / Jack o' Lanterns etc (yes, solo, barring excellent graphics from Turb)
11) At least 3 new systems
12) About 17 Ubers you fight; then rebalancing + fixing scripts on another 4
13) Numerous gear, weapons, shields, capacitors, inertia etc
14) New gunner stuff
15) Getting bored now

Oh, and 16) Fixing shit that is broken.

Put it another way: Grow up. The above list is just a tiny part of my contribution.

/thread closed due to massive influx of ignorance.

Last edited by Aurora Ex Machina on Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:48 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:24 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: Contingency
Main: Stabberz
Level: 2153
Class: Gunner

>inb4 lock.

Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:24 pm

Team: Heaven
Main: Cpt Mawson
Level: 1011

Or we could make it the missiles have horrible turning and slowly speed up from the base speed (80 on large ap iirc) but what you said earlier in the thread AEM makes this a pain to do?

Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:36 pm
Profile E-mail

kingwayne30 wrote:
Or we could make it the missiles have horrible turning and slowly speed up from the base speed (80 on large ap iirc) but what you said earlier in the thread AEM makes this a pain to do?

They're coded to launch at maximum speed to avoid problems.

Quite frankly:

Missiles are done for the moment. The majority of players haven't even used most of them.

I full recognise the lack of gratitude / actual feedback as a rather negative, pernicious and boring spiteful power-play by a paying customer. Sad life when you have to troll on an intarweb forum to get your kicks.

Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:41 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: Heaven
Main: Cpt Mawson
Level: 1011

Aurora Ex Machina wrote:
kingwayne30 wrote:

They're coded to launch at maximum speed to avoid problems.

Quite frankly:

Missiles are done for the moment. The majority of players haven't even used most of them.

I full recognise the lack of gratitude / actual feedback as a rather negative, pernicious and boring spiteful power-play by a paying customer. Sad life when you have to troll on an intarweb forum to get your kicks.

I understand, i'm one of those people who hasn't had a shot at these new missiles simply because of my small cash fund at the moment, but i will get around to it by the end of the month.

Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:46 pm
Profile E-mail