It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 4:28 pm

Team: Contingency
Main: Stabberz
Level: 2153
Class: Gunner

Post Sync Items/stats With Wiki
I know Jeff has been wanting it done for awhile, but people who like to secrets oppose it. Therefore, make it so that when 5 of any item is attained by players, its stats get added to the wiki. Why? Teams still get an advantage if they get the item first because if it's a rare item, they still have time to keep the secret to themselves. The wiki has not been updated very often in a long time due to Simon deciding that he wasn't our slave.

Thoughts?

Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:00 pm

Team: Dark Traders
Main: enkelin
Level: 3002
Class: Speed Demon

Post Re: Sync Items/stats With Wiki
How about an in-game option to add stats of items you own to the wiki directly?

(Bluenoser) Put your finger in your mouth and gag reflex should do the rest

Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:03 pm

That would be awesome.

Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:12 pm

Team: Eminence Front
Main: Radia
Level: 1101

anilv wrote:

Welp. That's pretty much a /thread right there.

No Context. Ever.
Idaten.

Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:24 pm
Profile WWW

Visorak wrote:
anilv wrote:

Welp. That's pretty much a /thread right there.

Hold it! I have opposition!

This would be another game feel killer. Every time you just put all game items up on a wiki you instantly turn the game from 'explore the options' to 'crank out the calculations and farm the thing'. Going through the wiki and coming up with set ups is fun. But, (I know it hasn't been done in forever...) being in the game and coming up with set ups is even more fun.

Main point: The instant everything is on the wiki, it becomes a grind and farm fest. There does become a best set up for a certain situation. It might not actually be the best because it might be hard to control, but that's where figuring out setups ingame instead comes in. You'll know how that item will perform already. If you don't have it, you have a feel for the stats already. Now, you could argue that you would if you figured it out from the wiki, but my point is that it becomes frustrating and boring.

How does it become frustrating and boring? Well, when you what every item does before you have it,
you start skipping content. AKA the WHOLE REASON for the new skill tree. If players didn't have the wiki there would be a lot less skipping. Players still do it, and with the change getting class skills just makes leveling harder. And when the players find out that their 'nice' DPS set up doesn't work as planned (turns out that slight flaw is a big problem) well... players rage.

By making a wiki that has everything in game in it... you're making the game into a math problem, it's the 'challenge accepted' route that makes that fun. And when challenge is not completed it makes for some nice rage quit. Mostly because you solved the equation, you're bored with it, and then something doesn't go your way.

tl;dr Wiki leads to skipping. Skipping leads to skill point nerfs. Would make current nerf pointless.
Griffin wrote:
I know Jeff has been wanting it done for awhile, but people who like to secrets oppose it.

Aww... you thought of me!

[s]I'd like some proof that you guys are males[/s]

might be a bad idea nvm

Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:45 pm
Profile E-mail

Dunno why I wrote a "to".

Anyway, no matter whether or not the stats are readily available through an official wiki, people are always going to try to record information about the game. Before the Star Sonata Wiki, there were the Lyceum Archives. All that Enk's suggestion or my suggestion would do is make it easier to share this information because it's going to be done anyway. Besides, this game is ENTIRELY about statistics and drama. You don't just fuck around with random augmenters and get something good. Wikis help newbies and old players alike because it makes it so that they do not have to document everything on their own or just take stabs in the dark.

Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:54 pm

Main: enkelin
Level: 3002

Titan...

My suggestion is to have a button in game to commit any given item you possess to the wiki. It would be a time-saving device only.

(Bluenoser) Put your finger in your mouth and gag reflex should do the rest

Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:54 pm

Griffin wrote:
Anyway, no matter whether or not the stats are readily available through an official wiki, people are always going to try to record information about the game. Before the Star Sonata Wiki, there were the Lyceum Archives.
Dammit LA was the SSW >.< It was created because SSW didn't exist yet.
Besides, this game is ENTIRELY about statistics and drama(lol). You don't just fuck around with random augmenters and get something good.
Yeah, the most common ingame strategy for noobs is to start with the best gear for their specific goal and then fuck around with random augs. Some times they're even helping them with their goal.(rare, seriously, they do throw whatever augs they find on right away)
Wikis help newbies and old players alike because it makes it so that they do not have to document everything on their own or just take stabs in the dark.

anilv wrote:
Titan...

My suggestion is to have a button in game to commit any given item you possess to the wiki. It would be a time-saving device only.

I know, I know. I'm just somewhat bitter over the whole item balancing and grind fest skill tree. Players would go on the wiki and go: "hey, I can skip electrical engineering until t6". That's why players were skipping content, and now look at it. We might as well just use the level up points to permanantly increase character stats based on a formula of some sort. It's what the balance sheets do. Sure, there are variations, but I'm sure we could just switch between heavy armor 4 and light armor 4.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind it if a player could build their own in-game encyclopedia of items and ship. You know, like the map used to be kept, nonserver-sided. But, anything that lets something get so bad that the admins have to nerf skillpoints to make players use content is just...

might be a bad idea nvm

Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:13 pm
Profile E-mail

I respectfully disagree with your entire argument.

There will always be content skipping. There will always be a preferred aug setup, there will always be a new quick way to powerlevel. Why? Because grind. Who wants to do the nexus missions 5 times for all of their alts?

And really, how often do people actually go look at a wiki? I can entertain myself for hours pouring over some game wiki. Most people just want to play the game.

No Context. Ever.
Idaten.

Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:33 pm
Profile WWW

Visorak wrote:

And really, how often do people actually go look at a wiki? I can entertain myself for hours pouring over some game wiki. Most people just want to play the game.

As can I. Given out current statistical sample, everyone uses the wiki for hours on end. Seriously though, nearly every game, nearly all the players use the wiki.

When I said content skipping I was quoting the admins. They called "gear" "content" for some reason. My point is that the wiki is what got us to this terrible nerf point. I'd prefer an Atlum nerf to the current nerf. I really would. And I don't want to see it get any worse.

It's downright painful to level now. They've even thrown in random filler Ais in to help level. Which breaks the feel too. Just saying. But seriously, I'd prefer Atlum-style nerfing over this any day.

might be a bad idea nvm

Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:56 pm
Profile E-mail

The wiki might have helped, but it was not the biggest reason for "content skipping." Not by a long shot. When skills were as cheap as they were, it was easy to save up for 5-6 levels at a time. I didn't need the wiki to know how to powerlevel. Noobs don't either, when everyone already has a slave setup they can throw at whoever asks for it.

No Context. Ever.
Idaten.

Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:50 am
Profile WWW

Main: __
Level: 2482
Class: Berserker

I actually believe much the opposite. Who wants to spend lots of time looking for better items of their tech when they could be spending that time leveling and getting better AI base gear just a few techs higher?

Letting players know that items exist is a HUGE factor in making the game, the other part being getting those items to those players. With that in mind, I agree with this suggestion 100%

landswimmer wrote:
ALL HAIL CYG THE MESSIAH!

Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:32 am
Profile E-mail

Team: The Forgotten Colonies
Main: PM Me If You Suck
Level: 1996

I like this idea, having it connected to the maingame is important too, the only thing worse than having something mission on wiki, is something with the wrong stats on wiki. But have it that the stats are only able to be added by people iwth the gear, if they want it added.

Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:00 am
Dev Team

Main: Jey123456
Level: 3267
Class: Fleet Commander

i disagree, partly because it would basicly require us to lock the wiki from players (cant have players changing the structure if the code depended on it),
Secondly, because the wiki is by definition, player managed. If we wanted it to have all the items stats exactly and instantly, we would just have it read them directly from the content data :P, then it wouldnt be a wiki, but a database.

So yea, an ingame "add to wiki" button wont happen, if only due to all the complications and limitations that would ensue.

Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:49 pm

Main: Max235
Level: 1821
Class: Seer

But some players actually change the wiki to show the wrong stats. When the ZT stats got onto the wiki, some dodo from Pants changed it.

The guy quit when SBP crushed Pants, but the only reason you'd delete the stats was if you or your team had one.

I'd rather have a wiki locked from players, if they could be sync'd for 5 or so items in existence for adding to wiki. How many VJOE's exist exactly?

Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:26 pm