Limit team membership by accounts and not alts 60%  60%  [ 42 ]
Keep teams as they are now 15%  15%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 70

Team: Traders
Main: Bonecrusher
Level: 2144
Class: Shield Monkey

Post Once again open up team limits
Team limits are toooooo low. Please open them up or make them unlimited.

At least two teams have had to split in order to make room. This is unacceptable as they can no longer protect each other when in the other's galaxies.

Please do this B4 the end of this uni.

Last edited by Bonecrusher on Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:21 pm
Profile E-mail
Support/PR Administrator

Team: None
Main: Ananke
Level: 0
Class: None

Post Re: Once again open up team limits
I have always been a big advocate of limiting team slots by accounts rather than characters. To me it just makes sense because we can't be logged onto multiple characters on the same account at once.

I don't support unlimited teams, but I don't like the way it is currently.

Jeff has already said no to this idea at one point, but considering there are at least one if not more of these topics per uni, team slots are definitely a problem that needs to be looked into.

Image Image

Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:59 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Team: Heaven
Main: Kangaroo_blob
Level: 3102
Class: Berserker

I'm going to vote that the team limits stay the same.

The reasons for this have already been expressed by the admins a few times.

Kanga

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:00 pm

Team: Dark Traders
Main: enkelin
Level: 3002
Class: Speed Demon

The ability to make custom, persistent chat channels would go a long way toward solving this problem in my opinion. Also, it would be very helpful to be able to set exceptions to user-base permissions to potentially allow off-team alts to manage select bases.

We don't necessarily need to increase team size, but the game currently levies pretty tough sanctions on groups of players who wish to make large alliances.

(Bluenoser) Put your finger in your mouth and gag reflex should do the rest

Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:04 pm
Dev Team

Team: Eminence Front
Main: Jey123456
Level: 3267
Class: Fleet Commander

thats the point. Alliances are already a pretty big issue, imagine if we made it even easier !

Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:30 pm

Jey123456 wrote:
that's the point. Alliances are already a pretty big issue

What issue? Friends want to join the same team. Team limits are a burden on the players who have a LOT of friends.

SBP and Traders are both split because of this policy. It just isn't right. There are other mechanics in the game to limit abuses.

Please open up teams.

Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:18 pm
Profile E-mail

Main: Rhys
Level: 2261

Bonecrusher wrote:
Team limits are a burden on the players who have a LOT of friends.

:D

Anyways, team limits I think should be revisited. Other games have limits, but they are arbitrarily high, the reason most groups don't reach that arbitrarily high limit is due to game-play mechanics, such as not needing more than X-people per guild to do X-task. And very rarely do you go above this natural limiter as it would make logistical tasks for leadership quite a headache.

In SS, I think given the universe reset mechanic, a team loses a certain amount of efficiency and effectiveness by being too large. Given the vastness of the current uni, connecter kits are forced in order to further claim valuable portions of space. Larger space means systemic inefficiencies for builders.

In contrast, more nimble teams could build in a region of space with natural boundaries (empty galaxies, or poorer quality gals in surrounding areas, or bordering another team), and waste less resources. In this sense, a really large team will suffer from logistical problems that would likely limit their recruitment.

Another SS mechanic limiting the team size is the idea of the 10-man squad which implies a soft cap at the number of core players interested in doing Olympus. This soft cap can increase in multiples, but then again, at a certain point, the larger team really cannot claim to be as intimate. Assuming that the average person joins teams for more than just a means of obtaining items & progressing, then the loss of camaraderie is something that naturally limits the team size.

So yeah, no real point in hardcoding team sizes, let the playerbase figure out what team sizes are too much.

:P

Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:45 pm
Profile E-mail

Main: Spatzz
Level: 2402
Class: Engineer

Rounder wrote:
Bonecrusher wrote:

Anyways, team limits I think should be revisited. Other games have limits, but they are arbitrarily high, the reason most groups don't reach that arbitrarily high limit is due to game-play mechanics, such as not needing more than X-people per guild to do X-task. And very rarely do you go above this natural limiter as it would make logistical tasks for leadership quite a headache.

In SS, I think given the universe reset mechanic, a team loses a certain amount of efficiency and effectiveness by being too large. Given the vastness of the current uni, connecter kits are forced in order to further claim valuable portions of space. Larger space means systemic inefficiencies for builders.

In contrast, more nimble teams could build in a region of space with natural boundaries (empty galaxies, or poorer quality gals in surrounding areas, or bordering another team), and waste less resources. In this sense, a really large team will suffer from logistical problems that would likely limit their recruitment.

Another SS mechanic limiting the team size is the idea of the 10-man squad which implies a soft cap at the number of core players interested in doing Olympus. This soft cap can increase in multiples, but then again, at a certain point, the larger team really cannot claim to be as intimate. Assuming that the average person joins teams for more than just a means of obtaining items & progressing, then the loss of camaraderie is something that naturally limits the team size.

So yeah, no real point in hardcoding team sizes, let the playerbase figure out what team sizes are too much.

A very good point is made here.

Allow teams to naturally limit themselves. If you are worried that everyone would just band into 2 teams don't be, war would immediately blow up between them which would be fun. As was just pointed out, once you get enough active folks to pretty much be able to do an uber on command more would just clog up chat and be a bit annoying. Most folks also want limits opened up simply so they can fit their alts on the same team! It is a bit silly to have to make a brand new team just to fit characters that you own but cannot get on your main team.

Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:44 pm
Profile E-mail

Main: enkelin
Level: 3002

A lot of players don't have the time or inclination to be active in SS year in and year out. On Traders we definitely have a number of veterans who stop in every so often, perhaps on vacation or some weekends, and do a few runs with us. Maybe they even drop a base in some corner of our territory. These players aren't the most valuable in terms of loot generation, but teams are so much more than that. Sure, we band together to conquer content we can't do by ourselves, but we stay together because we like each other. Who here wouldn't have quit long ago if teams didn't exist in SS?

The point is that it's artificially difficult to keep connected with your compatriots in this game, and booting people for being less than active is a pretty sad reality. I can understand keeping team limits where they are to prevent abuse of the Emp system, but at least give us custom chats that persist after logout so we can better control who we stay in touch with.

(Bluenoser) Put your finger in your mouth and gag reflex should do the rest

Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:00 pm

Team: Resident Evil
Main: Time Warp
Level: 3162

What's the difference between Hard Cap and Soft Cap?

2 Big teams would be win-sauce.

Timmeh

~Oscar Wilde

andezrhode2a wrote:
Timmeh is the exception to every rule.
Battlecruiser23 wrote:
/Timmeh!
I mean /signed!
sabre198 wrote:
1. Create C2
2. Time Warp quits
3. New players join
4. ... Profit?!?

Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:30 am
Profile E-mail

Team: None
Main: Utumno
Level: 20
Class: None

Strange that everytime this issue comes up it focusses on

- hard cap
- account number limit in a team
- char number limit in a team

while in game it does not matter much how many accounts or alts on a team are.
Important are the following things:

- the relative size/power of the forces fighting each other
- ability to be able to communicate and perceive game information on a single shared medium in game
- the amount of bases and drones a team can deploy
- the affiliation of the bases and drones to you in a big PvP/PvB/BvB fight in a galaxy

Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:30 am

Team: The Forgotten Colonies
Main: PM Me If You Suck
Level: 1996
Class: Gunner

Utumno wrote:
The amount of bases and drones a team can deploy

I'm going to pick this one. :)

I think this could work. It would mean that people can invite all their alts so that they are inteam. But the team would then limit every member on how many bases they can have. Therefore any players that have a heap of alts (goett) Can have them all inteam, without effecting the team itself. This would also then create its own hard/soft limit, where people wouldn't join a team as they would know they wouldn't be given any building space. You could also make it the director and councis could make it so that certain team member accounts are given a heap of space if they're important builders, and causal builders will be given less.

Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:50 am

Camsy wrote:
Utumno wrote:
The amount of bases and drones a team can deploy

I'm going to pick this one. :)

I think this could work. It would mean that people can invite all their alts so that they are inteam. But the team would then limit every member on how many bases they can have. Therefore any players that have a heap of alts (goett) Can have them all inteam, without effecting the team itself. This would also then create its own hard/soft limit, where people wouldn't join a team as they would know they wouldn't be given any building space. You could also make it the director and councis could make it so that certain team member accounts are given a heap of space if they're important builders, and causal builders will be given less.

You just caused me to loose my diner! :(

There are already too many restrictions on base numbers per account without any more BS. Why not just say that a person can only have ONE account... That would limit all sorts of SHIT and cost SS even more paying customers.

Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:08 am
Profile E-mail

Main: Radia
Level: 1101

If you make any of the restrictions too harsh, you effectively change nothing. Teams will just continue to make offshoots like DT or BP.

No Context. Ever.
Idaten.

Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:05 am
Profile WWW

Team: Resident Evil
Main: Aku'Qa
Level: 2620
Class: Berserker

Rounder wrote:
Bonecrusher wrote:

THIS, Jeff, you're a libertarian right, show us :P!

Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:08 pm
Profile E-mail