It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 4:05 am

Team: Traders
Main: Shadowfiend
Level: 1060
Class: Gunner

Post new p2p leveling layer (small)
would be nice to add an extra layer for p2ps to be able to level safely in (no pvp, bases)
A small area similar to the cadet outpost in ss1, where missions are given out at a "central" galaxy
that send u to ai ubers, dgs whatever and the further galaxies in the layer have roaming ai which u can kill to push past the f2p level limit so you stand out as a p2p.

DEBATE!

Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:23 am
Profile E-mail
over 9000!

Team: Pax Romana
Main: Ghost Commander
Level: 1138
Class: Berserker

Post Re: new p2p leveling layer (small)
You mean, like Earthforce Layer?

Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:49 am

Team: Eminence Front
Main: Radia
Level: 1101
Class: Speed Demon

Battlecruiser23 wrote:
You mean, like Earthforce Layer?

Earthforce isn't a small layer, silly. :P

No Context. Ever.
Idaten.

Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:23 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin / Dev Team

Team: Admins
Main: Jeff_L
Level: 1028
Class: Sniper

This is what Earthforce Layer is for. I don't see why a duplicate but smaller version of it would add.

Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:28 pm
Profile WWW

Main: Eurus
Level: 2330
Class: Shield Monkey

JeffL wrote:
This is what Earthforce Layer is for. I don't see why a duplicate but smaller version of it would add.

The concept has some merit: Go ptp and you can level more quickly in premium content areas.

In return players should expect increased difficulty, pvp, no perma drones/bases and less loot than would be expected from DGs and the like.

Personally I don't see the problem with someone making alts being able to level something like 30-50% more quickly at the expense of loot and ease.

Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:05 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin / Dev Team

I was thinking more along the lines of a set of daily missions that are only for p2p that give them nice ways to get extra XP and credits.

Another separate premium layer doesn't really make sense to me, because, really, to be useful at all level ranges, it would have to be nearly as big as EF space. We would just end up replicating EF space, except, what? Giving more XP for the guys there? Better to either give extra XP for p2p or extra daily missions for p2p and let them level in Earthforce space like they're supposed to.

Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:12 pm
Profile WWW

Team: Traders
Main: Murasame
Level: 2561

JeffL wrote:
I was thinking more along the lines of a set of daily missions that are only for p2p that give them nice ways to get extra XP and credits.

Another separate premium layer doesn't really make sense to me, because, really, to be useful at all level ranges, it would have to be nearly as big as EF space. We would just end up replicating EF space, except, what? Giving more XP for the guys there? Better to either give extra XP for p2p or extra daily missions for p2p and let them level in Earthforce space like they're supposed to.

Make more AIs that are killable for players level 2k and that give nice exp, thanks.

Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:25 pm
Profile E-mail

Main: Eurus
Level: 2330
Class: Shield Monkey

Instead of daily missions what about longer/more involving storylines?

Things such as 'factions' and large zones full of specific AI types would be fun.

An example would be having a mission chain based on an area (such as the Reaver's cathedral, or perhaps expanding upon some of the existing areas within the game via instances). Playing through the one-time missions would earn me 100~ levels whilst the daily missions would give me... 10/20?

One important thing to note is that in a game such as star sonata the missions must be easy to access; otherwise we end up with useless missions that take as long to reach as conventional leveling would OR end up with people leveling on nothing but missions.

Perhaps allow players to gain the majority of their level via storyline missions and then supplement this with mostly fixed EXP missions aimed at slightly higher levels.

Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:35 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: None
Main: Blizzara
Level: 2100
Class: Engineer

I was thinking of a small xp boost for premium players. I know some other MMORPGs have that. At the moment there isn't any reason to go p2p before let's say.. level 400-500. XP boost would give a reason for subbing earlier. Staying f2p for longer would still be an option and players wouldn't feel they are forced to pay for a free-to-play game.

Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:15 am
Site Admin / Dev Team

For some reason, a set XP boost just feels slightly more cheesy to me than premium-only daily missions. At least with dailies, you have to do something to get your extra XP and credits. But then there is the risk of things feeling a bit too grindy after a while, so I don't really know what's best.

Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:33 am
Profile WWW

Team: Strawberry Pancakes
Main: Biggee
Level: 2163
Class: Engineer

There could be a different daily AI family that has maybe a 2.0 XP multiplier for different player levels. So for one day, all of the "pirate" class AI offer an XP multiplier etc.

anilv wrote:
Try again when you have a doctorate in mathematics, grasshopper. I'll be pulling rank until then.

Bonecrusher wrote:
I'm a professional whiner.

Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:05 am
Profile E-mail YIM

Main: __
Level: 2482

If we had distinct factions, the daily missions could be really cool. There's huge potential here...like, you go to the center of the BG faction, and you take a mission to go into Forgone territory and take out a drone(which is, of course, guarded by like 40 forgies, spaced out throughout galaxies) and you can do it every day.

The coolest thing is that you could get some sort of "faction points" that let you become friendly to that faction. Lots of people would do them, if only to get BG's to stop attacking them :P

landswimmer wrote:
ALL HAIL CYG THE MESSIAH!

Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:05 am
Profile E-mail

Those suggestions don't really work too well without an absolute flood of people. The reason all of those for other games is that they take in a massive number of people. A small number of them will like it because they don't care how much money they spend. The rest of the people quit. The servers don't need to support those players anymore.

Problem being. SS doesn't work that way. In fact, the reason games cost so fucking much is because they spend so much money on building them around that. It's not really realilistic to assign a thousand people to a single game when 10 could do just as well. Not to mention the hoard of bugs and how slowly the game would have to run to support that kind of programming(object oriented-I'm not going down that road, even longer rant, basicly says people stupid)

That being said. Here's a completely different idea: Those modded items in game? mmmhm. Got it? Good.

Additional phrases in case you missed it: p2p, leveling, premium, modded items, drops, where does this stuff come from

Got it now?

Anyways, outline of the suggestion:
*New content available at level 75 to all P2P players only.
-I have my own definition of content, don't take it the wrong way
*Experience boosting items
-Again, I have a plan, don't take it the wrong way
*Things everywhere
-No, not raining loot from the sky
-Things ranging from asteroids to form some shield mods to "ubers"
..-not standard ubers, basicly overpowered normal ais that and only really feasible to take down with massive efforts from a sizeable amount of players
-Not all things granted are item mods

Example (things from zone if you were wondering)
-90% Shield
-90% Shield regen
+90% Transference resist
-90% transference power
+7% Exp

Obviously biased towards speed demons and seers...

+50% Elec tempering
-50% Damage
+100% Transference resist
+10% Exp

-40% Speed
+90% Weight
-10% Elec regen (not sure on elec regen being included here)
+5% Exp (after 2 minutes of being equiped, item not simply turning off immediately can catch unequip mistake, etc)

Just an outline, I'll post the actual thing sometime this week hopefully.

[s]I'd like some proof that you guys are males[/s]

might be a bad idea nvm

Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:07 pm
Profile E-mail