It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:48 pm

Team: Dark Traders
Main: enkelin
Level: 3002
Class: Speed Demon

Post Random aggro bosses
Get rid of them please? They completely defeat the purpose of the hostility stat. Dark Doc Goblin and now apparently Undead Calypso. The latter shot every charge drone out in sequence, but also took pot shots at the Shield Monk, Zerk, Engineer, and Sniper. What's the point?

(Bluenoser) Put your finger in your mouth and gag reflex should do the rest

Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:09 pm

Team: Heaven
Main: Kangaroo_blob
Level: 3102
Class: Berserker

Post Re: Random aggro bosses
I thought all of Maus was initially meant to be like this, but the random agro code sucked balls?

Kanga

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:12 pm

Team: The Unforeseen Colonies
Main: Thermal
Level: 3024
Class: Engineer

I have noticed this as well in many cases. In Mausoleum, used to be impossible to control aggro. Then it was possible again. Then impossible.

Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:22 pm

Team: Strawberry Pancakes
Main: Skyfyre
Level: 2483

anilv wrote:
Get rid of them please? They completely defeat the purpose of the hostility stat. Dark Doc Goblin and now apparently Undead Calypso. The latter shot every charge drone out in sequence, but also took pot shots at the Shield Monk, Zerk, Engineer, and Sniper. What's the point?

Saying that random aggro defeats the purpose of hostility is like saying that brute force doing a billion (hyperbole, I don't know how much raw damage he actually does, blah blah) damge per shot defeats the point of shields and resists. It IS unquestionably true, but it misses the point of designing those encounters in a particular way.

So if the developers intent was to force aggro to be random to make the encounter more challenging, then it is fine. But we have to know the developers intentions. So would any devs care to comment if the random aggro is intentional or not intentional?

Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:41 pm
over 9000!

Team: Pax Romana
Main: Ghost Commander
Level: 1138
Class: Berserker

He does 5 million per shot before augs. Calculated that IF you could dps him fast enough, a single shm could potentially tank him.

Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:48 pm

Ok Skyfyre, conceded. However, plenty of people have done Brute Force using some sort of tanking capship. If you've tried doing Dark Kobaldstein, well... I don't know how any squad other than a bunch of Seers could stand a chance. We brought in a squad full of tanky and "healy" ships and were summarily executed. It's that sort of extreme I'm not fond of.

So I'll retract my complaint about Undead Caly since we were still able to outheal his random DPS, although the sniper didn't stay alive for long. On the other hand, I don't think that random aggro should be a widespread boss property any more than Brute Force should be more than a one-time novelty.

Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:48 pm

Main: Biggee
Level: 2163

anilv wrote:
...On the other hand, I don't think that random aggro should be a widespread boss property any more than Brute Force should be more than a one-time novelty.

With engineers in the state they are in, random aggro isn't the least bit fair to them. When you are going up against AI that can potentially 1 shot drones, what incentive is there to do anything other than elec squadmates?

anilv wrote:
Try again when you have a doctorate in mathematics, grasshopper. I'll be pulling rank until then.

Bonecrusher wrote:
I'm a professional whiner.

Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:55 pm
Profile E-mail YIM

Not to mention classes like Sniper and Speed Demon that are ideally suited to operate under the cover of a tank.

Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:56 pm

Team: Resident Evil
Main: Time Warp
Level: 3162
Class: Shield Monkey

biggee531 wrote:
anilv wrote:
...On the other hand, I don't think that random aggro should be a widespread boss property any more than Brute Force should be more than a one-time novelty.

With engineers in the state they are in, random aggro isn't the least bit fair to them. When you are going up against AI that can potentially 1 shot drones, what incentive is there to do anything other than elec squadmates?

Engineer sob-story Wah, wah wah.

Timmeh

~Oscar Wilde

andezrhode2a wrote:
Timmeh is the exception to every rule.
Battlecruiser23 wrote:
/Timmeh!
I mean /signed!
sabre198 wrote:
1. Create C2
2. Time Warp quits
3. New players join
4. ... Profit?!?

Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:58 pm
Profile E-mail

Main: Biggee
Level: 2163

Mail wrote:
biggee531 wrote:
anilv wrote:

Timmeh

If you don't have anything nice to say, fuck off :)

anilv wrote:
Try again when you have a doctorate in mathematics, grasshopper. I'll be pulling rank until then.

Bonecrusher wrote:
I'm a professional whiner.

Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:01 pm
Profile E-mail YIM

Team: Resident Evil
Main: Time Warp
Level: 3162
Class: Shield Monkey

biggee531 wrote:
If you don't have anything nice to say, fuck off :)

Seriously though, near every post you making is BITCHING about engineers.

Timmeh

~Oscar Wilde

andezrhode2a wrote:
Timmeh is the exception to every rule.
Battlecruiser23 wrote:
/Timmeh!
I mean /signed!
sabre198 wrote:
1. Create C2
2. Time Warp quits
3. New players join
4. ... Profit?!?

Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:05 pm
Profile E-mail

Mail wrote:
biggee531 wrote:
anilv wrote:

Timmeh

Agreed with timtam; I'm sick of drones, maybe they are powerful and expensive for a reason (to control their use - i'd like to hear some dev comment).

anilv wrote:
Ok Skyfyre, conceded. However, plenty of people have done Brute Force using some sort of tanking capship. If you've tried doing Dark Kobaldstein, well... I don't know how any squad other than a bunch of Seers could stand a chance. We brought in a squad full of tanky and "healy" ships and were summarily executed. It's that sort of extreme I'm not fond of.

So I'll retract my complaint about Undead Caly since we were still able to outheal his random DPS, although the sniper didn't stay alive for long. On the other hand, I don't think that random aggro should be a widespread boss property any more than Brute Force should be more than a one-time novelty.

Assuming a squad of Seers CAN do Kobaldstein, that sounds perfect to me. Nothing wrong with ubers that require a bit of effort or insanely difficult unless you are a certain class (especially a class like Seer which is sorely neglected on team runs).

I also think Brute should get a retreater type weapon to shoot behind (at snipers/zerks exploiting his weakness)

Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:07 pm
Profile E-mail

There is *everything* wrong with an uber that can only be done by a squad of Seers. Again, I don't know if that's true of Kobaldstein but it certainly was my first impression. Brute only drops SD-only gear so it would perhaps be admissible if he were only doable by SD (not even the case). Kobaldstein drops a range of things including the blueprint for Dark Flaming Excomm, which I think you know is not a Seer weapon by any means.

Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:10 pm

anilv wrote:
There is *everything* wrong with an uber that can only be done by a squad of Seers. Again, I don't know if that's true of Kobaldstein but it certainly was my first impression. Brute only drops SD-only gear so it would perhaps be admissible if he were only doable by SD (not even the case). Kobaldstein drops a range of things including the blueprint for Dark Flaming Excomm, which I think you know is not a Seer weapon by any means.

Ah, then i would have to agree that is not cool. I was thinking a Seer-only uber dropping seer-only gear would be nice, but if it drops other things then might need a look?

Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:11 pm
Profile E-mail

Main: Skyfyre
Level: 2483

I dunno when the last time you did brute force was Giovanni but they kinda fixed that. His tracking is much much better, the bullets have virtually perfect tracking last time I killed him a week or two ago once they get about 300 distance, you can't sit behind him and just kill him. However he's still easy for sniper to solo since you can just use the sun, graviton blockers, and a low bank shield (in case you mess up somehow :P) to shoot a mercurian mag around the sun while all his mags bounce harmlessly into the sun. He does do this wierd drift thing due to his range till he's about 10k or more out, but if you just warp out and warp back in he'll head straight for you and you can continue dpsing till he's dead.

Meanwhile, the changes to the SD equipment dropping mob meant to be killed by speed demons is really hard to kill with speed demons now...

Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:12 pm