It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 11:17 am

Team: Eminence Front
Main: DemonBlood
Level: 1761
Class: Shield Monkey

Post Re: I told you so
well, all the rendering and graphics is client side, so shouldnt it be possible to "remake" a version of the C1 client that can run smoothly on low end systems?

i know im not the only one who prefers the original.

Thu May 03, 2012 10:08 pm
Profile E-mail
Dev Team

Main: Jey123456
Level: 3267
Class: Fleet Commander

its entirely possible to skin the game to be very close to what C1 look like (although some things changed, like z axis existence and 3d collision). But with the client optimizations currently in, it wont change much on your performance, because its generally not the ship model itself causing you to lag, but the ship existence (the simple act of rendering it is slower than actually rendering it XD).

It is not profitable to actually support 2 entirely different client (one using C1 code which is a total mess and not supported even in windows 7 let alone windows 8 XD) and C2. Yes some people dislike C2, but times change, computers upgrade, and more people like C2 (especially new players), than they liked C1 (we currently enjoy about 5 times more new players every day than we ever did on C1)

Off course there are many other factors, but fact remain, C1 is dead, has been dead for quite over a year even before C2 release, and yes it ran better on way older machine, it was actually running way worse on modern computers, and would only go in decline on that side.

Times change, computer improve, old computers (5 years+) are doomed to die in a very short time frame considering they are already past their life expectancy. New computer powerful enough to play SS2 at max graphic are incredibly cheap (hell my windows 7 tablet computer can run it at high without problems).

Thu May 03, 2012 10:29 pm

Team: Psionic Corps
Main: The Crazy Game Maste
Level: 1031
Class: Engineer

Location: TARDIS, Time Vortex, Main Universe, Reality, Big Bang 2, Multiverse 1
Jey123456 wrote:
let alone windows 8 XD

No.

JeffL wrote:
Maybe you guys are right. We can leave things how they are for now and get more feedback later.

Fri May 04, 2012 2:35 am
Profile E-mail
Dev Team

oh i 100% agree with you, windows 8 look like crap, but hey, people out there still buy intel gpu so im ready to bet a few hundreds bils that 1 month after windows8 is officially out, ill get dmp files from people on it :P.

Fri May 04, 2012 3:13 am

Team: The Originals
Main: Lol imra15
Level: 641
Class: Berserker

If you want to enjoy the game with full graphics and maximum FPS, get a new computer. But if you want to enjoy the game with max FPS only, turn your graphics to low.

Fri May 04, 2012 3:19 am
Profile E-mail

Main: Tech9
Level: 1923

Jey123456 wrote:
bf3 and crysis both have the huge advantage of being fps, which mean lower field of view, prebuilt relatively static map and multimillions graphic engine :P.

Nothing Jey can't whip up ;D

Fri May 04, 2012 3:22 am

Team: The Originals
Main: Lol imra15
Level: 641

Jey123456 wrote:
its entirely possible to skin the game to be very close to what C1 look like (although some things changed, like z axis existence and 3d collision). But with the client optimizations currently in, it wont change much on your performance, because its generally not the ship model itself causing you to lag, but the ship existence (the simple act of rendering it is slower than actually rendering it XD).

It is not profitable to actually support 2 entirely different client (one using C1 code which is a total mess and not supported even in windows 7 let alone windows 8 XD) and C2. Yes some people dislike C2, but times change, computers upgrade, and more people like C2 (especially new players), than they liked C1 (we currently enjoy about 5 times more new players every day than we ever did on C1)

Off course there are many other factors, but fact remain, C1 is dead, has been dead for quite over a year even before C2 release, and yes it ran better on way older machine, it was actually running way worse on modern computers, and would only go in decline on that side.

Times change, computer improve, old computers (5 years+) are doomed to die in a very short time frame considering they are already past their life expectancy. New computer powerful enough to play SS2 at max graphic are incredibly cheap (hell my windows 7 tablet computer can run it at high without problems).

I have a strange feeling very little people or none would be trying out c3 if it ever came out xD

Fri May 04, 2012 3:24 am
Profile E-mail
Dev Team

C3 is not even on the design table currently (has there is no need for a new client overhaul yet :P). It took well over 6 years to get C2 from the design table to reality, so worry not. C3 is not for any soon to be future !

Fri May 04, 2012 3:49 am

Jey123456 wrote:
C3 is not even on the design table currently (has there is no need for a new client overhaul yet :P). It took well over 6 years to get C2 from the design table to reality, so worry not. C3 is not for any soon to be future !

Please fix the performance issues then? At least somewhat? I'm sad that I get 20 FPS on SS when SC2, RA3, BF3, Crysis 2, Civ 5, and more run over 60fps on my machine. :(
I love SS but I want to be able to play at a decent frame rate!

Yeah, sorta beating a dead horse. I know you know this already. But, sad! :( !

JeffL wrote:
Maybe you guys are right. We can leave things how they are for now and get more feedback later.

Fri May 04, 2012 9:12 am
Profile E-mail

Team: Combustion
Main: Combustion
Level: 5116

In response to TCGM: Lagkiller was on in the first half, it killed the backgrounds where my FPS improved, as soon as my fps hit 19, the lagkiller turned the backgrounds back on again, making me lag (much like turning on a light), not one setting was changed during the 30 second separation from each screenie I can assure you.

XxTommyxX, Daedalus, Combustion, Dr Eggman, Dr Combustica, Joew121, fghetfs

password wrote:
dang trevor....you take this game so serious :roll:

Fri May 04, 2012 9:46 am
Profile E-mail

Team: Dark Traders
Main: Kyp
Level: 2610

Tomzta09 wrote:
In response to TCGM: Lagkiller was on in the first half, it killed the backgrounds where my FPS improved, as soon as my fps hit 19, the lagkiller turned the backgrounds back on again, making me lag (much like turning on a light), not one setting was changed during the 30 second separation from each screenie I can assure you.

There used to be a setting where you could control the frame rates at which lag killer would kick in, but those seem to be gone now. Instead, simply /glkl 10 when you're having issues.

Fri May 04, 2012 12:06 pm
Dev Team

noone read the link i posted a in that thread yesterday i take it >_>

viewtopic.php?f=116&t=51734

Quote:
* a new client /command (/lkc) used to control every different lagkiller values (only 3 non generic ones for now rmbg to control the background removal, slowgui to control the gui render speed and starbg to control the background stars quantity).

* another new client command to allow you to save your /lkc /lkl /lku settings called /savecommands . It will open an edit box, you type in the commands you want the client to execute before starting (1 per line), and you press ok, from there on, every time you restart your client those commands will be ran. Since those are ran before the connection to the server, you cant use those for server side commands or chat, only client side commands which are mostly limited to /lkl /lku and /lkc related commands.

for the hardcore lagger out there i recommand using

/lku 9
/lkc rmbg 1
/lkc slowgui 2
/lkc starbg 0.6

as savecommands, what it will do is prevent your lagkiller from removing completly important things (upper limit 9), always remove the backgrounds layers completly, slow down the gui render so the game render is faster (2 times slower than normally allowed under lagkiller) and reduce the stars quantity in background.

Fri May 04, 2012 1:21 pm

Jey123456 wrote:
noone read the link i posted a in that thread yesterday i take it >_>

viewtopic.php?f=116&t=51734

Quote:
* a new client /command (/lkc) used to control every different lagkiller values (only 3 non generic ones for now rmbg to control the background removal, slowgui to control the gui render speed and starbg to control the background stars quantity).

* another new client command to allow you to save your /lkc /lkl /lku settings called /savecommands . It will open an edit box, you type in the commands you want the client to execute before starting (1 per line), and you press ok, from there on, every time you restart your client those commands will be ran. Since those are ran before the connection to the server, you cant use those for server side commands or chat, only client side commands which are mostly limited to /lkl /lku and /lkc related commands.

for the hardcore lagger out there i recommand using

/lku 9
/lkc rmbg 1
/lkc slowgui 2
/lkc starbg 0.6

as savecommands, what it will do is prevent your lagkiller from removing completly important things (upper limit 9), always remove the backgrounds layers completly, slow down the gui render so the game render is faster (2 times slower than normally allowed under lagkiller) and reduce the stars quantity in background.

When my system gets that amount of performance on every other game, I shouldnt need to use lagkiller at all. Just saying.

JeffL wrote:

Fri May 04, 2012 3:21 pm
Profile E-mail
Dev Team

If you feel like your computers doesnt get the performance it should on ss2, then what you need to do to help fix it is described here
viewtopic.php?f=116&t=51358

Fri May 04, 2012 3:50 pm
Dev Team

although on a sidenote, the lagkiller is very similar to techniques used by all the games you mentioned to stream the graphic depending on the system load. except im straight forward about it and dont hide it (and admittedly im not nearly as good as some of the graphic devs that make those engines :P).

Believe me, everyday i wish we had someone good with 3d rendering related code to help me out with those optimisation/performance issues. But those are incredibly hard to find !

Fri May 04, 2012 9:38 pm