It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:23 pm

Team: Dark Traders
Main: enkelin
Level: 3002
Class: Speed Demon

Post Re: Constructive Criticism-Current Design Decisions in SS
To the TFC contingent:

I guess you were either not replying to me, or didn't take the time to actually read what I wrote. My point is quite simple: the effort in setting up colonies is heavily weighted to the first part of the universe. That means that once they are set up, colonial administrators can undertake essentially the same gaming activities as those who don't have colonies at all. This is a problem because it makes it very difficult to introduce any novel credit sources that are actually ALTERNATIVES to colonial administration. I am not necessarily opposed to making colonies easier to set up, if that is what it takes to keep them balanced against these hypothetical alternatives. I do think however that colonies MUST become more hands-on in the mid- to late- universe if true alternative credit sources are to be contemplated. It goes without saying that I am also in favor of these alternatives, if for no other reason than that colonies aren't for everyone and SS is touted as a sandbox game.

^^ I think that answers your point about colonies too, Kyp.

(Bluenoser) Put your finger in your mouth and gag reflex should do the rest

Fri May 04, 2012 11:36 am

Main: Kyp
Level: 2610
Class: Engineer

s_m_w wrote:
Please, please, please, make a new topic for each thing you want to talk about. Constructive criticism is really great, but if you just put everything into the same topic, things are bound to get lost

moved this post to here

Last edited by Zekk on Fri May 04, 2012 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri May 04, 2012 11:47 am

Team: Eminence Front
Main: Spatzz
Level: 2402

As a person who shoots for 30+ 125% colos himself every uni I can tell you that I know exactly how much work is involved in creating a large amount.

Yes, it takes a tooon of tedious annoying set-up that frankly ruins the game for me. It takes a ton of infrastructure in place in the form of slave slots, base slots, base gear, good TS and Programming on alts. This is not something you can just pick up randomly one day, I started at 4 colos my first time with a ton of help and built up to where I am over the course of almost 3 years.

That being said, the system sucks. It is, as stated, a trickle down economy with almost 1 variable. There is no real way to earn raw creds besides selling your gear to the 1% or capping for hours on end (did that to, earned 100b~ in a uni off Basils)

Overall I would welcome, not a nerf to colos which would not fix anything, but an alternative. If you just nerf colos you simply nerf the overall credits coming into the game.

Fri May 04, 2012 12:03 pm
Profile E-mail
Content Dev

Please, please, please, make a new topic for each thing you want to talk about. Constructive criticism is really great, but if you just put everything into the same topic, things are bound to get lost

Fri May 04, 2012 12:06 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: The Forgotten Colonies
Main: Llessur
Level: 2808

anilv wrote:
To the TFC contingent:

I guess you were either not replying to me, or didn't take the time to actually read what I wrote. My point is quite simple: the effort in setting up colonies is heavily weighted to the first part of the universe. That means that once they are set up, colonial administrators can undertake essentially the same gaming activities as those who don't have colonies at all. This is a problem because it makes it very difficult to introduce any novel credit sources that are actually ALTERNATIVES to colonial administration. I am not necessarily opposed to making colonies easier to set up, if that is what it takes to keep them balanced against these hypothetical alternatives. I do think however that colonies MUST become more hands-on in the mid- to late- universe if true alternative credit sources are to be contemplated. It goes without saying that I am also in favor of these alternatives, if for no other reason than that colonies aren't for everyone and SS is touted as a sandbox game.

^^ I think that answers your point about colonies too, Kyp.

Doesnt appear that you read my post either. It takes 2 hours a day to service and check my colonies. There is always something that needs fixing.

But if you make colonies even more time-intensive, similar to the first 3-4 weeks of a uni setting up the colonies, there will be no time at all levelling, DGing etc and consequently colony building would be abandoned.

Fri May 04, 2012 6:06 pm
Profile E-mail YIM

Main: Kyp
Level: 2610

Russell wrote:
Doesnt appear that you read my post either. It takes 2 hours a day to service and check my colonies. There is always something that needs fixing.

Sounds like you're doing something wrong, or have waaay too many colos. I usually do a 30s check to make sure nothing has gone unowned every day and then 2 mins per colo when i collect... so 40 mins a week roughly?

Fri May 04, 2012 6:18 pm

Main: enkelin
Level: 3002
Class: Speed Demon

Zekk wrote:
Russell wrote:

Sounds like you're doing something wrong, or have waaay too many colos. I usually do a 30s check to make sure nothing has gone unowned every day and then 2 mins per colo when i collect... so 40 mins a week roughly?

Thanks Kyp. You may be shocked to learn, Russell, that I have actually done the colony thing myself. And I certainly went several days at a time between checking up on my colony bases. We have plenty of big-time colonial administrators on team right now and I don't know any of them who spend more than 15 minutes a day "tweaking" stuff.

(Bluenoser) Put your finger in your mouth and gag reflex should do the rest

Fri May 04, 2012 7:33 pm

Team: Eminence Front
Main: Spatzz
Level: 2402

I honestly just visit them once a week.

Fri May 04, 2012 10:12 pm
Profile E-mail

With the current issues with the server visiting once a week wont do, you guys obviously have not been keeping up with yer cols. Commodities dissapear from trade bays slaves go into the netherlands and sometimes some commods stop extracting for no apprent reason. Yes if you only visit once per week you would probably not notice it except for the billions in losses you do.

Sat May 05, 2012 3:19 am