It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 8:18 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Team: Light Commerce
Main: Auralz
Level: 959
Class: Shield Monkey

Post Re: Constructive Criticism-Current Design Decisions in SS
Swift.Kill wrote:
This kind of post is futile due to have been done in the past here; -Insert link here-

This is the trash I don't need.

Thu May 03, 2012 2:38 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: Zephyr
Main: Devil'sEye
Level: 2903
Class: Speed Demon

Death to Sparta!!!
Oh nd u forgot to assign title to each paragraph.

And as far as pvp is concerned... I prefer playing with ponies! nd unicorns! <3

Thu May 03, 2012 2:50 pm
Profile E-mail YIM

Team: Strawberry Pancakes
Main: Nuroshounin
Level: 833
Class: Engineer

Swift.Kill wrote:
This kind of post is futile due to have been done in the past here; -Insert link here-

I'd say its a good post. It is important to understand why people don't PvP, which is what is being discussed now it seems, before trying to create methods of encouraging it.

Thu May 03, 2012 3:07 pm
Profile E-mail YIM

Team: Dark Traders
Main: enkelin
Level: 3002
Class: Speed Demon

Building in Perilous Space disagree
Do you want people to be able to build in DGs? What about boss instances? A line has to be drawn somewhere (by the way, both of those were once possible). Building in Peri without the ability to own or protect would be decent, but the current framework for roaming ubers really rules it out in my opinion. It is already too easy to box them in. I do agree that making Peri unbuildable kills the immersion factor a bit. However, your comparison to Wild Space in the context of blocking content is completely wrong. There is NO custom content in Wild Space for that very reason. I can't think of any way you could keep Olympus Entrance etc. from being blockaded, so I cannot agree with this suggestion.

Colonies agree
I agree 100% that colonies should not be profitable unless the administrator plays an active "micromanagement" role. There should be semi-frequent, unpredictable natural disasters, colonist uprisings, civil wars, plagues, and all manner of other nasties that colonial administrators must be able to respond to. Your ideas about resource scarcity are quite good as well.

Wars
You are completely correct that there is insufficient incentive to PvP, much less conduct a full-scale war. I think you are unnecessarily playing up the diplomatic repercussions, however. Traders/Dark Traders has no diplomatic agreements with any other teams; in fact, I am not aware of any public defensive alliances between teams at this time.

However, there are some major game mechanics that naturally serve as disincentives to conflict. First of all, a team that is formed largely on the basis of PvAI will naturally contain a variety of opinions on galaxy defense and PvP. For this reason, the ownership (hence safety) of one player's assets may depend entirely on the fortifications in another player's galaxy. If it were possible to deliberate and plan one's team space more fully, one could generally correct these imbalances by placing less fortified galaxies in the periphery; however, the universe reset dynamic makes this unfeasible. As such, a team like Traders will be reluctant to go to war if it means that some of our teammates may lose their assets through no fault of their own.

Base gear disagree
There's a logical inconsistency in your point. If a base contains valuable gear, then the same argument applies as it does to ship gear. If it doesn't, then no one will want to capture it and it wouldn't serve as a conflict incentive. Furthermore, you can irradiate and capture base kits to do what you describe. Capturing can be very difficult, and rightly so. I readily agree that the risk involved with permanent assets is difficult to balance in this game, and that its current state is somehow suboptimal, but what you propose is out of the question.

Don't forget that in assessing the value of base gear, you must consider the replacement cost. The trouble of replacing several tier 3 extractors, or a set of ada dampeners, or the special Earthforce gear, or multiple pieces of Armada base gear, is much greater than you give credit to, not to mention that the nominal cost of all that can certainly climb into the tens of billions at the very least.

Slave management agree
I believe you should be able to set management permissions on your trade slaves just as you can for bases. You should also definitely be able to manage slaves across a single account by default, just as it works for bases. I don't agree with your account-wide slave slots idea but that wouldn't be necessary if we got what I've written.

(Bluenoser) Put your finger in your mouth and gag reflex should do the rest

Thu May 03, 2012 3:37 pm

Team: Eminence Front
Main: Mew Meeow
Level: 1244

Nuromishi wrote:
Swift.Kill wrote:

I'd say its a good post. It is important to understand why people don't PvP, which is what is being discussed now it seems, before trying to create methods of encouraging it.

i couldent bother to reat the entire post just the part whti good and bad critisim

Edit: Read a buit now, Trade slave idea i think is very bad due to ppl being able to lay more SM/EE/CA bases when they have only 1 MFM char per acc and will therefor lead to less BvB PvB aswell as more money made from colony att a lesser risk

playerboy345 wrote:
Swift.Kill wrote:
u havent tryed 5 Ada Rage BS Zerker yet WHIT LINCIN :D

u havent tryed 5 STFU WITH YOUR BS WHIT GTFO :D

Thu May 03, 2012 3:50 pm
Profile E-mail

anilv wrote:
Building in Perilous Space disagree
Do you want people to be able to build in DGs? What about boss instances? A line has to be drawn somewhere (by the way, both of those were once possible). Building in Peri without the ability to own or protect would be decent, but the current framework for roaming ubers really rules it out in my opinion. It is already too easy to box them in. I do agree that making Peri unbuildable kills the immersion factor a bit. However, your comparison to Wild Space in the context of blocking content is completely wrong. There is NO custom content in Wild Space for that very reason. I can't think of any way you could keep Olympus Entrance etc. from being blockaded, so I cannot agree with this suggestion.

Colonies agree
I agree 100% that colonies should not be profitable unless the administrator plays an active "micromanagement" role. There should be semi-frequent, unpredictable natural disasters, colonist uprisings, civil wars, plagues, and all manner of other nasties that colonial administrators must be able to respond to. Your ideas about resource scarcity are quite good as well.

Wars
You are completely correct that there is insufficient incentive to PvP, much less conduct a full-scale war. I think you are unnecessarily playing up the diplomatic repercussions, however. Traders/Dark Traders has no diplomatic agreements with any other teams; in fact, I am not aware of any public defensive alliances between teams at this time.

However, there are some major game mechanics that naturally serve as disincentives to conflict. First of all, a team that is formed largely on the basis of PvAI will naturally contain a variety of opinions on galaxy defense and PvP. For this reason, the ownership (hence safety) of one player's assets may depend entirely on the fortifications in another player's galaxy. If it were possible to deliberate and plan one's team space more fully, one could generally correct these imbalances by placing less fortified galaxies in the periphery; however, the universe reset dynamic makes this unfeasible. As such, a team like Traders will be reluctant to go to war if it means that some of our teammates may lose their assets through no fault of their own.

Base gear disagree
There's a logical inconsistency in your point. If a base contains valuable gear, then the same argument applies as it does to ship gear. If it doesn't, then no one will want to capture it and it wouldn't serve as a conflict incentive. Furthermore, you can irradiate and capture base kits to do what you describe. Capturing can be very difficult, and rightly so. I readily agree that the risk involved with permanent assets is difficult to balance in this game, and that its current state is somehow suboptimal, but what you propose is out of the question.

Don't forget that in assessing the value of base gear, you must consider the replacement cost. The trouble of replacing several tier 3 extractors, or a set of ada dampeners, or the special Earthforce gear, or multiple pieces of Armada base gear, is much greater than you give credit to, not to mention that the nominal cost of all that can certainly climb into the tens of billions at the very least.

Slave management agree
I believe you should be able to set management permissions on your trade slaves just as you can for bases. You should also definitely be able to manage slaves across a single account by default, just as it works for bases. I don't agree with your account-wide slave slots idea but that wouldn't be necessary if we got what I've written.

Thank you for your meaningful post. As far as building in Perilous goes, I honestly can't see people blockading things being that big of a problem if there was a rule against it. It would be way more trouble than its worth to lay a feasible blockade just to have it removed by admins. The line can easily be drawn at dgs/boss instances.

As far as wars go, it is exactly about what you said; innocent people in the team losing things for them doing basically nothing. This is one major reason teams wouldn't want to go to war. The problem runs a lot deeper than meets the eye, it seems.

I see what you mean about base gear. Maybe we should brainstorm for some decent solutions.

Thu May 03, 2012 4:14 pm
Profile E-mail

Main: Spatzz
Level: 2402

I am not sure why building in Peril would even be needed. Even low tech bases can kill any AI you will find out there and it would destroy the whole barren wasteland feel where there is no real civilization and just pirates around every corner.

Beyond that though, like Enk said, there would be blockading of specific things, Oly and high end DGs being the worst. You cannot fall back on "admins could delete it" because that becomes a case by case basis which is an awful thing when carrying out the law. This would screw up Oly Daily missions hardcore and do other things to the game I cannot even fully follow with my mind at the moment.

Wild Space still has plenty of room and it can be expanded if push comes to shove.

Thu May 03, 2012 4:26 pm
Profile E-mail

Chaosking3 wrote:
I am not sure why building in Peril would even be needed. Even low tech bases can kill any AI you will find out there and it would destroy the whole barren wasteland feel where there is no real civilization and just pirates around every corner.

Beyond that though, like Enk said, there would be blockading of specific things, Oly and high end DGs being the worst. You cannot fall back on "admins could delete it" because that becomes a case by case basis which is an awful thing when carrying out the law. This would screw up Oly Daily missions hardcore and do other things to the game I cannot even fully follow with my mind at the moment.

Wild Space still has plenty of room and it can be expanded if push comes to shove.

Fair enough. They should at least add some lore to why it can't be built in.

Thu May 03, 2012 4:44 pm
Profile E-mail
Content Dev

tynmishoe22 wrote:
"But Auralz, there are roaming ubers and people would get free ubers cause base weapons op!!!111"

The solution is simple. Ubers only spawn in galaxies that are unowned and unprotected. They also won't roam between galaxies. This will be the same effect as now basically because you will still just happen across them and your chances of finding them are almost the same, except that you wouldn't have to check owned galaxies when hunting them. Now, I realize this will make it easier to find them, but I don't think it would turn into a big issue and if it did, there are many ways you could remedy it.

I feel like this wouldn't be the same. A roaming uber is called a roaming uber because it roams. If it was just stuck in a galaxy, it would be almost the same as a normal DG or special galaxy uber. Plus every single uber would need a mechanic to prevent warping in and out to get heals from bases in adjacent galaxies.

tynmishoe22 wrote:
If there was simply a rule that said you can't grief by blocking access to well trafficked galaxies, it would probably not happen.

Rules that have to be manually enforced by admins are a bad thing. I would like to see more hardcoded rules and less "thou shalt not be bad to other players".

tynmishoe22 wrote:
As I have stated, this is more about RP, immersion and options and entirely not about practicality at all.

RP and immersion are nice, in theory. In practice, being able to build in perilous space would hurt immersion rather than improving it since previously dangerous AI would just be insta killed by bases. Every AI would just turn into cannon fodder.

tynmishoe22 wrote:
All that being said, I think that if you had to be more active to manage your colonies, the amount of money made from them would be entirely fine because there really aren't that many options to make money out there.

Agreed, colonies are too easy.
tynmishoe22 wrote:
The fourth thing to be discussed is regarding bases dropping gear. I believe that once a base is destroyed, anyone should be able to dock there and freely take what is onboard. I don't fully understand why it is as it is now, because I think being able to take base gear would be entirely reasonable. The reason I think this is because ship gear often is worth hundreds of bils, which means it is understandable why you can't just leave it. Bases on the other hand, take much more effort to kill than a ship and it is unlikely that you would lose hundreds of B from a base of yours dying.

Bases can not only contain a lot of valuable gear and commodities, but setting up a base takes a lot of effort as well. Waking up one day just to see your base gone and all of its gear stolen is very frustrating.

tynmishoe22 wrote:
The final thing I think that would be a reasonable quality of life change is a better way to manage trade slaves.

agreed.

tynmishoe22 wrote:
Fair enough. They should at least add some lore to why it can't be built in.

There is a lot of lore missing still. Missing lore about why you can't build in perilous should be the least of your worries right now

I appreciate your effort, but you should make a seperate topic for each thing you want to talk about. You should also use the suggestions forum instead of general discussions as we devs are much more likely to read that

Thu May 03, 2012 5:13 pm
Profile E-mail

Thank you for your reply. The only thing I disagree with is about the rule for blocking galaxies. In my opinion, no one would ever bother actually doing this if there were a rule. If there was a rule that simply said dont kill admins, people still *could* but would they ever? absolutely not, because it would be hard evidence right in front of the face of the admin, the same way blocking a gal would.

Oh and lastly, do you have any comment amount PvP or lack thereof?

Thu May 03, 2012 5:50 pm
Profile E-mail
Content Dev

If people would not do something because there's a rule against it, we would not need moderators and we would never have to ban anyone. Sadly, that's not the case.

I do not want to get involved in discussions about team vs team pvp

Thu May 03, 2012 5:59 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: Dark Traders
Main: Qlimax
Level: 1753
Class: Seer

smw just give a response on your opinion on what you think about how PVp is ruined because of scrap parts.

Thu May 03, 2012 6:31 pm
Profile E-mail

kanescreed wrote:
smw just give a response on your opinion on what you think about how PVp is ruined because of scrap parts.

This is sort of what I was seeking but he said he didn't want to talk about it.

Thu May 03, 2012 7:02 pm
Profile E-mail

Main: Spatzz
Level: 2402

Being a user of colos, yes, they are a bit of a silly way to make creds but they are also the only way =/

I mean, you do an uber/DF400 DG and get what, 100m? A straight up nerf to colonies is not going to fix anything at all. You will simply reduce the % of income by a set amount across the board. What we currently have is trickle down economics. A select number of players have ridiculous wealth and buy most of the things they want/need with abandon for more then others. The players they bought from now have a ton of creds compared to what they likelu had before.

Destroy our current colony set-up without offering a replacement and the rich will simply pay less and the poor will simply make less. What needs to have is a general switch from passive to active, make DGs/Ubers actually drop creds, make commods they AI drop sell-able to AI bases for certain amounts.

ONCE you have the proper set-up to make colonies doing anything else is silly. It takes a lot of effort, time and skill to get there but once you are there you are set. Also, I think it would be a bad idea to simply make it more difficult. Colonies already suck the fun out of the game on any sort of large scale (10+). I would jump at an alternative so fast.

Thu May 03, 2012 8:14 pm
Profile E-mail

Chaosking3 wrote:
Being a user of colos, yes, they are a bit of a silly way to make creds but they are also the only way =/

I mean, you do an uber/DF400 DG and get what, 100m? A straight up nerf to colonies is not going to fix anything at all. You will simply reduce the % of income by a set amount across the board. What we currently have is trickle down economics. A select number of players have ridiculous wealth and buy most of the things they want/need with abandon for more then others. The players they bought from now have a ton of creds compared to what they likelu had before.

Destroy our current colony set-up without offering a replacement and the rich will simply pay less and the poor will simply make less. What needs to have is a general switch from passive to active, make DGs/Ubers actually drop creds, make commods they AI drop sell-able to AI bases for certain amounts.

ONCE you have the proper set-up to make colonies doing anything else is silly. It takes a lot of effort, time and skill to get there but once you are there you are set. Also, I think it would be a bad idea to simply make it more difficult. Colonies already suck the fun out of the game on any sort of large scale (10+). I would jump at an alternative so fast.

Well said sir.

Thu May 03, 2012 8:19 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next