It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:18 pm

Team: Light Commerce
Main: Auralz
Level: 959
Class: Shield Monkey

Post Constructive Criticism-Current Design Decisions in SS
Refrain from posting at all if you have nothing constructive to say, whether it is directed at me or someone else that is posting.

Examples of bad posts:

"I disagree"
"You are level X, what do you know"
"You are stupid"
"Your opinions are stupid"

Examples of good posts:

"I disagree and here is why"
"The developers have stated their opinion on this matter here(link)"
"I think that this idea is good, and here is why"

Hello. Some of you may recognize me, and some of you may not. I speak a lot because I am not afraid to express my opinions without regard for what other people think. Thus, I have some haters. Anyways, on to the point of this thread.

There are a few design decisions that I have seen and I made this thread to question why and to offer what I think are easy solutions. This is in general rather than suggestions because I want this to be more about why things are as they are and less about what they could be.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The first thing I wanted to discuss was building in perilous space. Personally, I think having it disabled violently rips away some immersion and RP element from the game but in my opinion it is a large and important part of the game and it would offer a lot more creative options for base building if we could build in peri.

"But Auralz, there are roaming ubers and people would get free ubers cause base weapons op!!!111"

The solution is simple. Ubers only spawn in galaxies that are unowned and unprotected. They also won't roam between galaxies. This will be the same effect as now basically because you will still just happen across them and your chances of finding them are almost the same, except that you wouldn't have to check owned galaxies when hunting them. Now, I realize this will make it easier to find them, but I don't think it would turn into a big issue and if it did, there are many ways you could remedy it.

"But Auralz, people would block off my access to X importantgalaxy."

The same thing can be done in wild space, and I don't see it being an issue now. If there was simply a rule that said you can't grief by blocking access to well trafficked galaxies, it would probably not happen. Regardless, it would probably never come to that, because anyone trying to do such a thing would be smited by any team that cares for the welfare of the community.

"But Auralz, there is plenty of space to build elsewhere."

As I have stated, this is more about RP, immersion and options and entirely not about practicality at all. That being said, refrain from posting anything about the fact that there is already space to build, because everyone is well aware.

There would obviously be issues that arise when you make a change like this, but I don't think there would be any big issues that I haven't accounted for, and if there is one you can think of, point it out and I'll add it into the OP.

The second thing I want to discuss is colonies, and the autonomous nature of them. This is something we are all aware of; many players are making colonies at the beginning of a uni, afking most of the uni, and coming back to many billions. I don't know if this is not good in most developers opinions, which is partly the point of this thread. I want to know what they think of making ridiculous amounts of money by simply setting up a colony and forgetting about it.

All that being said, I think that if you had to be more active to manage your colonies, the amount of money made from them would be entirely fine because there really aren't that many options to make money out there.

Suggestions are very needed here because I don't have many.

The only thing I can think of is needs that change dynamically on colonies. For example, if a colony doesn't have baobabs on their planet, how will they ever build anything out of wood? They won't which is where you come in. Now, I realize something like this basically exists, where you sell them things, but the fact of the matter is that wood/metals/other things like this is a basic need of life to build anything.

Scenario now: Don't sell them metal, don't make money off of metal, life goes on in the colony.

Scenario as proposed: Don't sell them metals, they have no metals to build houses, cars, whatever. The colony won't expand because they can't advance. If they have advanced past this stage, and you then fail to supply them with metals, the colony will shrink.

The third issue to be discussed is wars between teams, or lack thereof. I think most people can agree that there isn't enough incentive to start wars because of the extreme diplomatic repercussions. People would rather live in peace and harmony, which is cool and all in real life, but it makes for boring gameplay. In my opinion this is one of the fairly major issues in the game right now, but I don't have a simple proposal to change the way it is besides just making rare commods more repair, but this is an across the board nerf that no one would agree to(though I personally wouldn't be opposed). Thus, any suggestion regarding this is extremely welcome.

The fourth thing to be discussed is regarding bases dropping gear. I believe that once a base is destroyed, anyone should be able to dock there and freely take what is onboard. I don't fully understand why it is as it is now, because I think being able to take base gear would be entirely reasonable. The reason I think this is because ship gear often is worth hundreds of bils, which means it is understandable why you can't just leave it. Bases on the other hand, take much more effort to kill than a ship and it is unlikely that you would lose hundreds of B from a base of yours dying. On top of this, augs are a big part of the price of building a base, and you wouldn't be able to steal those, obviously. Additionally, it would be a step towards promoting wars between teams, though wouldn't change anything by itself in my opinion.

The final thing I think that would be a reasonable quality of life change is a better way to manage trade slaves. As it is now, you have to switch characters every time you want to manage a slave that isn't owned by that character, which could be simply solved by adding an account based value which determines the amount of trade slaves one can have. For example, char 1 has RC 16, and char 2 has RC 16. Char 1 could have 32 RC points worth of trade slaves, but this would prevent the second one from having any. It just removes the need to alt hop and fly all the way to your bases just to control slaves you already own.

An alternative way to do this would be to simply allow characters on the same account to manage eachothers trade slaves. You would essentially achieve the same thing, but it is a little bit more simple of a fix.

End rant (for now)

Thu May 03, 2012 12:32 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: Aidelon
Main: Yurble
Level: 1967
Class: Engineer

Post Re: Constructive Criticism-Current Design Decisions in SS
Where is the TL:DR?

Anyway, About the pvp and wars and stuff. Its mighty fine and fun having a war. However right now the power balance between teams is just crazy. And thus a few high end tier teams could either decimate everyone, or just do nothing and have a somewhat fragile peace.

~Lots of love and cookies and blue fur
~Yurbs

Thu May 03, 2012 12:38 pm
Profile E-mail

Ceno wrote:
Where is the TL:DR?

Anyway, About the pvp and wars and stuff. Its mighty fine and fun having a war. However right now the power balance between teams is just crazy. And thus a few high end tier teams could either decimate everyone, or just do nothing and have a somewhat fragile peace.

TLDR's won't get the point across in most threads with a real point.

Any wise director of a high end team knows that there will still be diplomatic implications. SBP would not sit idle if Traders decided to go on a rampage and smash every weaker team, nor would most Traders members be willing participants(This would not happen anyway). That said, having options like this makes people feel free.

Thu May 03, 2012 12:48 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: Aidelon
Main: Yurble
Level: 1967

tynmishoe22 wrote:
TLDR's won't get the point across in most threads with a real point.

Any wise director of a high end team knows that there will still be diplomatic implications. SBP would not sit idle if Traders decided to go on a rampage and smash every weaker team, nor would most Traders members be willing participants(This would not happen anyway). That said, having options like this makes people feel free.

And thus you have your current situation. No PVP because of alliances and stuffs.

~Lots of love and cookies and blue fur
~Yurbs

Thu May 03, 2012 12:55 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: Heaven
Main: Paxx
Level: 2918
Class: Berserker

You made some interesting points, If this is just a discussion then ok, but I think a lot of your suggestions would have been better placed in separate suggestion thread in which the dev's can look at individually. I'm only saying this because you pretty much doomed this topic to any dev responses by addressing more than one problem.

As for Building in Perilous space, this used to be possible, but back then it wasn't called perilous space and there were not separate layers like wild, EF, and perilous. It was just 1 map in which the farther you go out the deeper you get into t3 space. Everywhere was buildable, and there were plenty of wars. With the expansion of the game its been made slightly less fun with the compromise of less catastrophic events, like loosing all your hard-earned gear because you risked traveling without glue gear.

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/2103/mutes.jpg

playerboy345 wrote:
Hai

Thu May 03, 2012 1:00 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: Strawberry Pancakes
Main: Turbinia
Level: 3112
Class: Speed Demon

No GG = No PvP

Durability system sucks.

Thu May 03, 2012 1:04 pm

Team: Heaven
Main: Paxx
Level: 2918
Class: Berserker

I would actually really be in favor of the glue gear system returning, at this point in the game I think most people just wanna war someone because they are fucking bored :P

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/2103/mutes.jpg

playerboy345 wrote:
Hai

Thu May 03, 2012 1:06 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: Dark Traders
Main: Qlimax
Level: 1753
Class: Seer

Trouser23 wrote:
No GG = No PvP

Durability system sucks.

Yes no drops= no gain in pvp.

Thu May 03, 2012 1:12 pm
Profile E-mail

paxiprime wrote:
you pretty much doomed this topic to any dev responses by addressing more than one problem.

Well, maybe a dev will be a hero and this won't be true.

Why was it removed in the first place? Because of what I stated?

kanescreed wrote:
Trouser23 wrote:
No GG = No PvP

Durability system sucks.

Yes no drops= no gain in pvp.

You guys don't think its worth it? People still drop a lot of money.

And, there are only alliances now because there is no reason not to be allied, and that is why there is no pvp.

Thu May 03, 2012 1:17 pm
Profile E-mail

Main: Nuroshounin
Level: 833

tynmishoe22 wrote:
You guys don't think its worth it? People still drop a lot of money.

Most people hide their money in team funds or on alts. Even back in 2004 most people would hide their money on a slaveships floating around in protected space (which I am still sad I didn't get any money from).

tynmishoe22 wrote:
And, there are only alliances now because there is no reason not to be allied, and that is why there is no pvp.

There have been alliances for a long time. The idea is that if you're a top team and allied with another top team such that combined you are more powerful than any other team, no one will mess with you out of fear of losing their galaxies. At that point the only option is to try to create your own alliances or be unable to truly fight against them.

It is also more profitable to just not touch them and hope they don't touch you: you don't have much to gain in PvP, but you certainly have your money-making colonies at risk.

Thu May 03, 2012 1:45 pm
Profile E-mail YIM

This is where the issue of pvp not giving enough comes into play. If there were a lot to gain, top teams wouldn't ally.

Thu May 03, 2012 1:57 pm
Profile E-mail

Main: Biggee
Level: 2163

tynmishoe22 wrote:
This is where the issue of pvp not giving enough comes into play. If there were a lot to gain, top teams wouldn't ally.

Top teams don't have to ally now; SBP is all one team, and is one of the largest alliances/teams by itself in the entire game.

anilv wrote:
Try again when you have a doctorate in mathematics, grasshopper. I'll be pulling rank until then.

Bonecrusher wrote:
I'm a professional whiner.

Thu May 03, 2012 2:12 pm
Profile E-mail YIM

Team: Eminence Front
Main: Spatzz
Level: 2402

Off the top of my head one of the main reasons PvP does not happen much is simply due to the limitations it then applies.

Suddenly AP routes that take you to important places are blocked off and you now need to take 3 different paths to get somewhere now, super annoying.

Also there is the risk of losing a fight, what happens if the enemy team does not want to forgive and forget? Your storage is suddenly 2j into enemy territory and getting it out/starting over is a near impossible task.

Uni reset is so important because where you land will dictate your play for the next 3-4 months. Moving from 1 position to another is an incredibly arduous if not semi impossible task.

Those are 2 reasons I find PvP a little irksome, I actually enjoy it a ton though.

Thu May 03, 2012 2:16 pm
Profile E-mail

Chaosking3 wrote:
Off the top of my head one of the main reasons PvP does not happen much is simply due to the limitations it then applies.

Suddenly AP routes that take you to important places are blocked off and you now need to take 3 different paths to get somewhere now, super annoying.

Also there is the risk of losing a fight, what happens if the enemy team does not want to forgive and forget? Your storage is suddenly 2j into enemy territory and getting it out/starting over is a near impossible task.

Uni reset is so important because where you land will dictate your play for the next 3-4 months. Moving from 1 position to another is an incredibly arduous if not semi impossible task.

I see what you mean, but if there was even a little bit to gain, people would do it a lot more often because lets be honest, not many things in this game are fun and let you gain things at the same time.
Those are 2 reasons I find PvP a little irksome, I actually enjoy it a ton though.

I see what you mean but if there were even a little to gain people would do it because there aren't many things that are fun that you gain something from.

Thu May 03, 2012 2:19 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: Eminence Front
Main: Mew Meeow
Level: 1244

This kind of post is futile due to have been done in the past here; -Insert link here-

playerboy345 wrote:
Swift.Kill wrote:
u havent tryed 5 Ada Rage BS Zerker yet WHIT LINCIN :D

u havent tryed 5 STFU WITH YOUR BS WHIT GTFO :D

Thu May 03, 2012 2:36 pm
Profile E-mail