It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:43 pm

Team: Eminence Front
Main: Xenodread
Level: 1289
Class: Gunner

Post Team Play
I have noticed something peculiar about this game.

Though it supports team play on the surface, it makes it very unrewarding to do so.

For one, squads decrease your xp when leveling, making it much more rewarding to just go level on your own. This creates an air of hostility when wanting to go level or dg with a large squad.

Secondly, the team system is clearly flawed and abused. Currently In the top ten teams we have 8 teams. Two of the "ten" teams are expansions of teams that have become so clogged with alt characters that they overflowed onto other teams.

This is something that desperately needs to be looked at.

In something that, in my opinion, is a community driven game. Why would you make it so difficult to develop that community that is the only thing keeping many players from quitting?

Visorak wrote:
We aren't paid to innovate. We aren't paid to do things the easy way. We aren't paid to do things the smart way.

We are SS. We do things Jeff's way.

Wed May 02, 2012 12:36 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: Dark Traders
Main: Kyp
Level: 2610
Class: Engineer

Post Re: Team Play
treygrey1 wrote:
For one, squads decrease your xp when leveling, making it much more rewarding to just go level on your own.

False. My understanding is you actually get more XP total in a squad. Furthermore, with a varied squad you can kill more AI quicker, to an extent, and get more levels than alone.

treygrey1 wrote:
Two of the "ten" teams are expansions of teams...

I think that instead of being a mark of how teams are broken, this is actually a proof that teams are working. Traders works so well that we need to circumvent the limitations imposed on us and undertake extra measures to bridge the two teams, and even still end up with two full teams that are in the top 10.

treygrey1 wrote:
... that have become so clogged with alt characters that they overflowed onto other teams.

If that were the case, we wouldn't be in the top 10.

Wed May 02, 2012 1:24 pm

Team: Aidelon
Main: the speed of dark
Level: 1874

Actually if everyone is around the same level squads give more XP in the sense that the total XP is much greater and you can kill ai much faster

Wed May 02, 2012 1:26 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: Zephyr
Main: Narcotic
Level: 3656
Class: Shield Monkey

On the squad based xp part:

I was under the impression also that squads reduced xp? But maybe i am thinking of level differences from different chars on a squad impacting on the xp or something.

Anyways in relation to another thread about levelling beyond 2k. Could increasing the xp gain from levelling in groups provide an alternate means of levelling beyond Counc/Dir and shms? If tweaked around a bit. Would be an interesting way to encourage group play.

Wed May 02, 2012 1:28 pm

Team: Heaven
Main: Paxx
Level: 2918
Class: Berserker

._. Ummm, did anyone read my suggestion? You basically said exactly what I suggested >.>

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/2103/mutes.jpg

playerboy345 wrote:
Hai

Wed May 02, 2012 1:45 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: None
Main: Spartanski Smok
Level: 2432

You all forgot how small this game is. It's way too small for team play, over half players are below level 2k, a lot of them are noobs and f2ps below 1.5k, and we have only a few real players (compared to the others). And don't forget, this game has like 500-1000 players in total while only about 20-30% of them shows up in public places like all chat, and many of them prefer solo playing and not even showing up because of how retarded SS community can be sometimes. You know what I mean, when a random player pops out of nowhere in a public place and when he says his own word then top teams like SP,Traders etc. "KoS" him abusing their strength towards a noob, not allowing him to play the game for real (yes that's because he won't be able to lay his own bases and no team would invite someone with kos from SP/Traders).

Wed May 02, 2012 6:19 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: Zephyr
Main: Narcotic
Level: 3656
Class: Shield Monkey

paxiprime wrote:
._. Ummm, did anyone read my suggestion? You basically said exactly what I suggested >.>

Eh if your talking to me no, i am not exactly active on the forums haha. But yeah if you were thats a good idea ;)

Wed May 02, 2012 6:33 pm

Team: The Unforeseen Colonies
Main: Predator Lord
Level: 1814
Class: Berserker

Spartanski Smok wrote:
You all forgot how small this game is. It's way too small for team play, over half players are below level 2k, a lot of them are noobs and f2ps below 1.5k, and we have only a few real players (compared to the others). And don't forget, this game has like 500-1000 players in total while only about 20-30% of them shows up in public places like all chat, and many of them prefer solo playing and not even showing up because of how retarded SS community can be sometimes. You know what I mean, when a random player pops out of nowhere in a public place and when he says his own word then top teams like SP,Traders etc. "KoS" him abusing their strength towards a noob, not allowing him to play the game for real (yes that's because he won't be able to lay his own bases and no team would invite someone with kos from SP/Traders).

well this is mostly because C2 came out and all the "real" players left

VaporiZe!

Wed May 02, 2012 7:12 pm
Profile E-mail

Main: Max235
Level: 1821
Class: Seer

Name these "real" Players. If they were a real player, then they would adapt and continue on being a "real" player.

Wed May 02, 2012 7:19 pm

Team: Heaven
Main: DIE
Level: 3402
Class: Speed Demon

Max235 wrote:
Name these "real" Players. If they were a real player, then they would adapt and continue on being a "real" player.

Oh shut up churchill, alot of the great players did quit because of C2 passing their accounts down to other people, all of the old DM where epic players and now look at them 3/4 of them have quit aswell as others. Stop pretending you know everything you PARSNIP!!!

Btw i 100% agree with the top team topic

Wed May 02, 2012 8:21 pm

I agree, the team system if flawed and the cracks are beginning to show in the system and soon the cracks will become holes. The people above have already mentioned that though so I won't get into it. The squad system is a different story.

Assuming that there is a boost of XP when leveling in a squad it's still not as effective because the XP will at least be split two ways (if not more) and at that point it's better to just go and level on your own.

Why would somebody go out and level in a squad when they can do it alone, take a little more risk, and get 2x-3x the profits? If you really need a squad with you to kill things you are doing one of two things.

A. Attacking ships that are beyond your capability and should attack easier targets.

B. Your setup is not good enough to level on your own and at that point your failing as a player and leveling with a squad won't help you in the long run.

The only time joining a squad is good is for doing group content and even "group content" is just as screwed up, but that for a different discussion.

I suppose you could also use it to level in the first 100 levels in the game but after that most intelligent people will learn what works and what doesn't and then they can go leveling without the help of a squad.

playerboy345 wrote:
BAGEESE, SHE IS GOOD AT GETTING THINGS UP QUICKLY.

Wed May 02, 2012 9:06 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: None
Main: Spartanski Smok
Level: 2432

About the squad lvling - long ago I have discovered that leveling in 2character squad is really best way of leveling, it almost doubles your exp rate if you pick the right player. In squad you get extra exp per AI kill that is split between players (IIRC 2person squad gives 1.5x more exp per AI killed that is split between players in squad) but I won't really say too much about it, I leveled all my alts like this and maybe I'll need to level more soon xD

It's just that many people can't really think and don't know how good lvling in squad is.

Wed May 02, 2012 9:22 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: Death Arrises
Main: Freddy
Level: 329
Class: Speed Demon

Badgerlost wrote:
Max235 wrote:

Oh shut up churchill, alot of the great players did quit because of C2 passing their accounts down to other people, all of the old DM where epic players and now look at them 3/4 of them have quit aswell as others. Stop pretending you know everything you PARSNIP!!!

Btw i 100% agree with the top team topic

Stifler, you don't know everything either. Most of the players from DM quit because the team fell apart, not because C2 came out. Only 4-5 people really quit and stayed gone strictly because of C2, and pointed out that it was because of C2. Stop running your fucking mouth...

Camsy wrote:
When a topic gets so intense even the tl;dr doesn't make sense.

NewFound wrote:
If it true you are an idiot. If it isn't you are an idiot.

Idiot.

Thu May 03, 2012 12:04 am
Profile E-mail

Main: Max235
Level: 1821
Class: Seer

I'm sure the real Helro's AWC would love to know how his old Panther is doing since you claim to be him.

Nibs, Denoan, Neuraxis - group faded off/RL issues.

Tonal left when his beloved FC wasn't the pvp monster it was before.

PrimalDecus/TheLegion DM fell apart because of the lack of unity between the team. Even if he's a pirate, Goett at least knew there was a problem. A team is not a team if it's not united. The new DM wasn't united, and fell apart as soon as anything touched it. Didn't have to be Pancakes.

A LOT of players that quit when C2 came out did so because it was a big enough change to make them put the book down. They wanted to quit for a while, but kept playing because they had obligations to their team or didn't know how to quit.

Very few players quit directly because of C2. Nearly all of them quit because of RL or because they wanted to during C1.

Thu May 03, 2012 12:53 am

Main: Kyp
Level: 2610

Shroud wrote:
Assuming that there is a boost of XP when leveling in a squad it's still not as effective because the XP will at least be split two ways (if not more) and at that point it's better to just go and level on your own.

Suppose one person can kill X amount of ai in a given amount of time. Does it not follow that two people should be able to kill 2X ai in the same time frame? Factoring in synergy, I would argue that its more like 2.5X or 3.5X, but I digress. If two people together can kill 2X ai, the xp boost makes this strategy more profitable. The limiting factor is, and always has been, how fast you can find the AI to kill, which usually isn't a problem until you add a third or fourth person. At that point... see Clam's gauntlet suggestion

Thu May 03, 2012 1:23 am