It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:55 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Dev Team

Team: None
Main: Quetzalcoatl
Level: 0
Class: None

Post Re: c2 User Interface Feedback
Ah good news on the gal map. What I was referring to was the ability to drag a corner to size the map. That I do not think will be possible with the current way it renders. Defining sizes that you can click buttons like 1x and 2x for though is possible. Personally my biggest issue with the gal map is the font. Can someone give a screenshot of the current map with a tool tip for a gal up?

Station backgrounds were to give a bit of nostalgia, but I think legibility trumps that. I will look at getting rid of them.

Last edited by Feathers on Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:46 am
Profile E-mail

Team: Aidelon
Main: Teh Haxzorz
Level: 2429
Class: Berserker

Thanks for the responses to my post, it's good to see you guys taking note of what we have to say. I'll just reply to a few of the things said that caught my eye.

The hardware cursor setting I think does something related to enhancing the control of the cursor, but doesn't change its aesthetics in any way.

As you've now noticed, the text does seem to be an issue. The font itself doesn't seem to suit a sci-fi/space game, and the old font in your screenshot does seem to suit the game better. It might be an idea to rethink which areas the text size option affect. As my screenshots demonstrated, the inventory and the bulletin board look rather silly with such large text. In fact, personally I think that the only area this option should affect is the chat area.

Your preference to have no horizontal slider as well as no animation is a legitimate one, but I would personally like to have the option for the tickertape effect, though it should be implemented so that it doesn't animate all the time, but only when the mouse is over the clipped item. Little things like this can give the user a sense of the UI quietly trying to help them in subtle ways. :)

The station background art on its own is great, I just think that with a minimalist look for the rest of the UI they seem out of place somehow in the base ui.

As for Jeff, I appreciate you reminding me that your XML edits do fix some of the issues I described, but fundamental things I highlighted should be made a part of the default UI. Though ofcourse, stuff you do in your own time shouldn't automatically be implemented in the default UI since it goes uncredited, plus nobody wants a bloated UI, but you get my point. :P

I've got a few more suggestions that I've shared with bobbo but I'll post them here anyways!:
  • Add pin/lock puttons to dialogues that can be pushed so they can't be moved
  • Add an option that allows you to toggle the map background fade
  • Add an option so that a user can choose whether to save the location/state (opened or closed) of dialogues such as map, inventory etc. on the client exit

If there's something that client 1's ui did well that client 2's doesn't do as well is having things on show and not hidden away in dialogues, which is something to think about if any future changes are made.

Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:48 pm

Team: Strawberry Pancakes
Main: Turbinia
Level: 3112
Class: Speed Demon

I think you can dissable map fade in the XML, or at least you used to be able too. The scrolling text on hover is a good idea if it is possible.

One thing I really don't like is on warps it says "Gate to ......." The "Gate to" just makes it harder to see where the gate actually goes. Anyone want to keep that?

I think text size only effecting chat may be our best option for that. I can maybe make a special large text UI with all the proper spacings as well for blind people with 24in monitors.

Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:04 pm
Content Dev

Team: Admins
Main: Blue Dwarf
Level: 61

Quote:
I think you can dissable map fade in the XML, or at least you used to be able too. The scrolling text on hover is a good idea if it is possible.
Is on my list for next custom UI update. :)

Quote:
One thing I really don't like is on warps it says "Gate to ......." The "Gate to" just makes it harder to see where the gate actually goes. Anyone want to keep that?
That's part of the name of the SOB, which the server sets. Would require uni reset and code changes to remove.

Support

Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:28 pm

Team: The Forgotten Colonies
Main: PM Me If You Suck
Level: 1996
Class: Gunner

The whole "Gate to" thing has never really bothered me.

Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:38 am

Team: Eminence Front
Main: urzaserra2
Level: 2549

One thing that should be changed is the tiny editing window for station descriptions. It currently is really small and hard to edit on stations with lots of text like production stations.

I have actually went and deleted the background image on the general tab, it was too hard to read the station description otherwise.

Would really like always having the chat input bar be visible, or at least be made so the chat history doesnt change positions when entering text.

Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:40 pm
Dev Team

The text box is an easy one to fix. Someone post a screen shot of the fix and the .xml and I will commit it to the client so it will get patched next time.

Is general consensus to leave chat entry bar visible at all times?

I will have to clear it with Jeff before I kill the station backgrounds, I am leaning towards doing that now instead of trying to fix them.

Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:56 pm
Profile E-mail

Main: Radia
Level: 1101
Class: Speed Demon

Feathers wrote:
Is general consensus to leave chat entry bar visible at all times? Yea, that would be nice..

I will have to clear it with Jeff before I kill the station backgrounds, I am leaning towards doing that now instead of trying to fix them. Would it be at all hard to make them optional? You can add a check box in the settings menu.

No Context. Ever.
Idaten.

Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:20 pm
Profile WWW

Main: 1-800-USE_THE_FORCE!
Level: 2907
Class: Berserker

treygrey1 wrote:
I'd like to be able to select squad members slaves from a different menu, maybe in the pop up box with their health it can display their combat slaves health and energy. It would be helpful For a monk healing a slave swarm.

Any chance this would be added?

Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:10 am
Dev Team

Bumping this because I am still looking for more feedback.

Another thought I had was getting rid of dialogue titles to save space (like character and such).

And changing some of the shapes to be more 16/9or10 aspect ratio to look better with wide screens most people are playing on now. Would people prefer taller or broader dialogues?

Also think i can reduce the bezel on many dialogues. Does anyone find the 8px side and bottom edge useful for moving them? or do people many drag by the larger top edge?

I want to reduce accidental clicks as well, anyone have issues with that anywhere in the UI?

Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:08 am
Profile E-mail

Team: Dark Traders
Main: Kyp
Level: 2610
Class: Engineer

Inventory tooltips seem to not change their location after the first one, so that if you subsequently hover over an item with a longer description it can either run off the screen or run over the inventory dialog. Can provide screenshots of both if you want.

I might suggest making tooltips not consider the chat bar when deciding where to appear, because really if I'm looking at a tooltip for a few seconds I'm not looking at chat.

Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:33 am

Main: urzaserra2
Level: 2549

A big annoyance for me is when you have an object selected and press x for options about that object and the options cover up part of the objects description.

Here is a screenshot.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:15 pm
Dev Team

One of my intents when I get some coders on the UI is to change that to a quick radial menu surrounding the players ship like the ones in Crysis. I think it would work great for rapid use on slave commands. Experienced players would know something like quick mouse up to attack or mouse down to move to target etc. I wounder if it could be done so that it centers the mouse cursor, or uses current mouse position as center of options, or maybe centers and then returns to the mouse cursor to previous positions. Could then use logos for quick acquisition of what you want to do and tool tips for the words on stuff like slave commands. Can even do expanding menus in this way. All features there dependent on what the code can do.

http://i37.tinypic.com/255j1ba.jpg

Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:46 pm
Profile E-mail

Main: Tech9
Level: 1923
Class: Engineer

Feathers wrote:
One of my intents when I get some coders on the UI is to change that to a quick radial menu surrounding the players ship like the ones in Crysis.

That sounds good, would be more convenient than having to drag the mouse over to the right and clicking a tiny little button.

Concerning your original screenshot of your UI mod, I think you should avoid making additions like the crosses that are inside the boxes. They don't sync with the icons nicely.

Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:04 am
Dev Team

*nvm, probably not happening

Last edited by Feathers on Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:44 am
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next