It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 6:19 pm

Team: Heaven
Main: Paxx
Level: 2918
Class: Berserker

Post Re: Question.
I hate that, the reason why I made this thread was to visually see more rof and of course in turn have more dps.

Would the problem only be graphically? Like when a cars wheels is spinning faster than the frame rate so it looks like its going backwards?

Or would it be a problem with the server not updating the particles fast enough?

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/2103/mutes.jpg

playerboy345 wrote:
Hai

Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:03 pm
Profile E-mail
Dev Team

Team: Eminence Front
Main: Jey123456
Level: 3267
Class: Fleet Commander

neither. the issue along other, is that having a cap give us a value to optimise toward (optimising the performance to support lets say, 10 ships firing at max rof in the screen on a low end computer), is a huge lot different if its 10/sec or 100 per secs :P

Now you could say, but just dont put as many projectiles for the people on lower graphics. Sadly, this is not possible due to the fact each projectile is an individual spaceobject (your ship is a spaceobject, planets are spaceobject, well, projectiles are too). The quantity seen is the same for everyone in the galaxy and cant be changed without some quite ugly hacks (not rendering a projectile / 2 etc)

Thats only for the client side of the equation, Now if we move to the server side. Each projectile is a spaceobject, we established that fact earlier. But projectiles are a lil bit more special, as in they can collide with other objects. doing it for 500is relatively painless. doing it for 5000 would be a whole other story, especially if it happen on more than 30 galaxies at the same time (since we use multithreaded galaxy idle, and we currently run on 32 cores).

Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:28 pm

Team: The Forgotten Colonies
Main: Llessur
Level: 2808
Class: Engineer

I am happy with the ROF cap, but I would be very pissed of if some "person" lagged out the gal with a high ROF. The staff have just got the game playable and not some one wants to stuff it up.

I say keep the cap until you can guarantee it will not cause any lag.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:32 am
Profile E-mail YIM