It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:32 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Team: None
Main: GaNoYVeLz
Level: 1730
Class: Engineer

Post Re: I am suggesting the suggestion forum, with most unhappyness
lilly pad...

I RUB JOO!

for all the nonsense you spew...
for all the flavor in the game you ruin,
for all the people that wanna kill you!

Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:13 pm

Team: Eminence Front
Main: Shavarath
Level: 2007
Class: Berserker

We critize you at every turn because everything you post is either intelligible or so poorly formulated that there's no chance of seeing what the idea behind it is.

Your general demeanor ingame and on forums is also horrible.

Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:15 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: Bella Morte
Main: Lilith
Level: 840
Class: Speed Demon

the best part of it is the only ones posting here are the ones im talking about in general. you sp

Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:17 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: Strawberry Pancakes
Main: mitchell is cool
Level: 1619
Class: Gunner

Fallen- wrote:
the best part of it is the only ones posting here are the ones im talking about in general. you sp

SP, SPB, BP. This is all you ever mention.

Are you jelly of SP's 'wealth' because once again that's all you talk about.

Stop being a moron, maybe if you were normal you could have joined?

Back to your cage please.

Fallen- wrote:
MONEY MONEY MONEY BANNANA ?

Last edited by mitchell888 on Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:21 pm

Main: Spatzz
Level: 2402

Do you honestly need to even ask why you got a global mute? I mean, the stuff you said in all chat was beyond stupid spam. Half the time I literally thought you were retarded but then small nuggets of intelligent stuff would pop up to screw with my head.

So again, this whole post can be a guide on how to not act in a gaming community, or anywhere for that matter, no one wants this crap.

Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:29 pm
Profile E-mail

when some one opens there soul and heart to you u dont stab them.
when some one offers u a hand u dont bite them.

don't tell me how to act in a community.

Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:42 pm
Profile E-mail
Content Dev

I have not read anything other than the original topic. I sincerly hope that the other 4 pages of this thread are nothing but constructive criticism. If I eventually get around to reading the rest and see anything that I would consider inappropriate for this subsection or this thread, appropriate actions will follow. Start deleting.

On Topic:
The short version is: I agree. I consider suggestions by players to be attempts to make the game better and the least we can do is respond. Which is harder than it sounds. I can only speak for me personally, but there are a lot of suggestions to which I simply have nothing to add or criticize. Sometimes because the suggestion is simply good and I like it (but I don't see it happening in the near future), and sometimes the suggestion is about a topic that I don't know much about. There are also suggestions that are simply... bad and not well-thought-out. Or simply incredibly vague.

I am not a fan of canned responses. I am not a fan of empty words. If I feel like I have something to say, I say it. Otherwise I don't.

I can assure you that all of us active devs read every suggestion. If none of us respond, none of us have anything to say. I'm sorry that it seems that us devs are ignoring suggestions. I promise you we aren't. I also promise you that I have a lot of respect for people who spend time and effort to think of something that (in their opinion) would improve the game.

Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:59 pm
Profile E-mail

Lord Runningclam wrote:
Lillith-

a) I just scrolled down. your last suggestion (lore ships) received a response from Aurora.

b) I looked to the next suggestion. I must admit, you can work on your wording - remember how much the developers have to read through on these forums asides from their normal duties. It is time consuming to try to figure out what you think someone is trying to say.

c) also with the tracking device suggestion - it has very limited application. I'm not sure how it would enhance gameplay - you need to be more specific in outlining exactly how and why the game would be improved by your idea. With the homing device, any player you shoot with it will simply dock at the next ai base they see. If they're too dumb to do so, it will be to easy to drive said dumbass to quit by perpetually killing him and/or preventing him from getting to an AI base. Maybe you see applications I don't, but spell it out more carefully.

d) I'm not sure how it is now, but remember that almost the entire staff of star sonata was on a volunteer basis as I remember it. They are helping because they like to help, but, while it would be nice if they had the time to respond, I don't really see how they're obligated to respond to posts that don't directly pertain to the ability to play the game (ie. major bugs).

e) Now, I love the hell out of the fact that the developers actually pay attention to our suggestions sometimes. I'll point out that in 90% of games released, the players have little to no input into the content and mechanics of the game. Appreciate the fact that it is an awesome aspect of SS that the developers actually work WITH the players instead of simply saying "this is the game we're making, deal with it" in every case.

thank you and as well you smw

Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:07 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: Aidelon
Main: goldstar-stations
Level: 2020

Fallen- wrote:

don't tell me how to act in a community.

I have to agree with both sides really.. I can understand you asking for more attention from administrators and more replies to topics and suggestions but they are a busy lot.

But I also have to say that aside from the JFK post you copy-pasted I have had to re-read much of what you type to figure out what you are trying to say.

It could be that English isn't your first language, It could just be that your a little young yet and experience is still stacking up. Or it could be you don't care enough to correct typos or pay attention to things like grammar and form.

But id like to ask politely if you could spend a few more minutes with your posts. Id greatly appreciate it. I like to come on and read suggestions and post from time to time and it is frustrating when an idea is generally sound or interesting but I cant understand it easily and I have to work to decrypt a post.

Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:19 pm

Main: DemonBlood
Level: 1761
Class: Shield Monkey

i gave up on fixing SS ages ago. not because the admins dont want it fixed, but because they have no reason to listen to me

i have ideas, my ideas have contributed to SS in the past

its all about having the right idea at the right time

Fallen- wrote:
ever heard "forgive them father, they know not what they do"?

don't tell me how to act in a community.them telling you how to act is merely their attempts to improve your ability to explain your ideas to them

to be honest, i think SS needs an "outline" list, a "list of goals for the game" on the suggestions forum which can define in easy terms what kinds of ideas the admins need, and what is neccesary to justify an idea properly so it can be considered on its merits

you cant force volunteers to work more hours to read suggestions.

Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:29 pm
Profile E-mail

Main: __
Level: 2482

Sometimes there just isn't a dev that has an opinion on a suggestion. There has to be someone who's eye gets caught, to champion the idea to the devmin community, and there aren't enough admins and devs to do that. Especially since a lot of them are busy doing their OWN content.

Like my bule saudaron beef topic. It probably wouldn't hurt anything to beef it, it would probably make it used a bit more. But it's a tech 10 ship(in a community that is primarily endgame players) and it's closest to a seer ship(in a community with seer being the least used class), meaning there just isn't anyone who cares.

Same goes for a lot of suggestions. I just wish the admins had a button they could click to give their opinion quickly and effeciently, if they didn't have a real clear opinion on it. Like "Seems decent, but requires more thought(That I don't have time for)." or "Meh." or "Doesn't seem very good."

At least then you could give/get some sort of review without having to put in the time to give an extended answer.

landswimmer wrote:
ALL HAIL CYG THE MESSIAH!

Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:38 am
Profile E-mail

Team: Heaven
Main: Paxx
Level: 2918

Didn't the original Lexx- say she gave her account to her younger sibling or something? For all we know Lilith is less than ten years old :x

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/2103/mutes.jpg

playerboy345 wrote:
Hai

Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:40 am
Profile E-mail

Fallen- wrote:
admins get to play sorry aurora i have to bring u in this. admins/defv's get to play godwith anythign they desire. whatsoever.
and dont give a seconeds head note to a player who is frustrated by the change me. being killed by a rosfire in a travel ship by 1 missile..

Aurora Ex Machina wrote:
Slightly pruned the number of missiles the reconditioned class of ships carry ~ so they'll do less damage.

From Here. 23 Mar 2012 18:05.

Also:

Code:
<WILDSPAWN name="Rosfire Bruiser">
  <QUANT>6</QUANT>
    <QUANTFRAC>0.1</QUANTFRAC>
    <WILDSTART>0.0</WILDSTART>
    <WILDEND>1.0</WILDEND>
    <SPAWNOBJ typename="SpawnTrader">
      <SPAWNER>
        <SPAWNBASE>
      <NAME>Rosfire Bruiser</NAME>
          <INTERVAL>1200</INTERVAL>
          <NUM>1</NUM>
          <LEVEL>-1</LEVEL>
          <MINATTACKLEVEL>20</MINATTACKLEVEL>
          <!--DROPITEM chance="0.03">Souls</DROPITEM -->
          <TREASURE chance="0.1">gear</TREASURE>
          <TREASURE chance="0.05">gear</TREASURE>
          <BOUNDTOLAYER>true</BOUNDTOLAYER>
        </SPAWNBASE>
        <PERIPATETIC>75</PERIPATETIC>
        <SWARM>0</SWARM>
        <ALLOWJUMP>1</ALLOWJUMP>
        <RALLYFACTOR>0</RALLYFACTOR>
        <CANUPGRADE>0</CANUPGRADE>
        <ADDITIONALBRAVERY>0</ADDITIONALBRAVERY>
        <SHIPCONFIG>Rosfire Bruiser</SHIPCONFIG>
      </SPAWNER>
    </SPAWNOBJ>
  </WILDSPAWN>

The pertinent line is: <SPAWNOBJ typename="SpawnTrader">

AI who are traders are never hostile unless first attacked, which is why the spawner lacks MIN/MAX values on AI/Player levels that they can target. So, Ms Han Solo, you in your "DT transport ship" shot it, then got wtfpwned, then came and complained about your lack of preparedness.

As for the 'play god' comment; oh gods, how this isn't true. Firstly, we have balance sheets (which players hate, and internally we bicker over weighting formulas for different Aug_effects); then we have to test it; lastly, we're all working for 'the man', so there's definitely context sensitive goals to aim for.

As for suggestions ~ I read them all, but they fall into four categories for me:

1) The ninja edit ~ usually a minor tweak to a ship, aug or gear that makes logical sense, doesn't break anything, and is doable in under 15 mins. Usually I'll comment "no" when I think a suggested ninja edit isn't required / has been balanced.

Format that gets it done quickly: <item> needs <this thing> <adding/subtracting> because <this reason>, <brief supporting case>.

2) The content fix: something is slightly wonky, and is disturbing players. e.g. Hermes. I wasn't even aware that Hermes wasn't functioning, until I saw a thread in the general forum. Existing content that is broken, or has become impossible due to unrelated buffs will get my attention as a priority.

3) Large content projects that are justified ~ e.g. Gunners. These usually get processed in this format: Post copied to Admin forum: discussion there: discussion in Content meetings: Jeff approval: stuff gets made: testing: testing: live.

4) Everything else ~ I read them, but if something is either 'just another ship / content zone / massive list of potential ubers' I skip read, grasp the idea within a minute, and move on: numbers aren't that useful, other than an intended difficulty range. Add to this the insane rambles, the posts that don't make sense, the requests for "u shud lik maek a entiring zone of 12 uberz, it'z wiked!!", the stuff that shows the poster doesn't grasp game mechanics ("I think snipers should get critical hits as part of their skill set") and so on.

I read them all ~ and yes, you should keep posting them: what you shouldn't do is get personally involved with an idea, thinking either that you have some kind of proprietary right to it ("I THOUGHT THIS GENERIC AI UP: HOW DARE YOU ALTER WHAT I SUGGESTED" ~ see that a lot, and it's very juvenile) or that because it's refused it's personal. It isn't.

Tl;dr

Complaining that your input is never read, and it's a personal vendetta that it's always ignored is fairly ironic when your example is something that lead to a change.

Ahem. The quiet corner is over there.

Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:35 am
Profile E-mail
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2