It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:58 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Team: Eminence Front
Main: __
Level: 2482
Class: Berserker

Post Change blackhole gens to mining damage
Since they're not being used at all atm anyway, make them like some cool, harder to use version of thoraxes. Except for mining, and gunners.

Also, make them MF'able.

Two birds with one stone, and all that.

landswimmer wrote:
ALL HAIL CYG THE MESSIAH!

Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:20 am
Profile E-mail

Team: Heaven
Main: Kangaroo_blob
Level: 3102

Post Re: Change blackhole gens to mining damage
Or stack 5 on a zerker and do insane mining dps to static bases?

Kanga

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:46 pm

Team: Dark Traders
Main: enkelin
Level: 3002
Class: Speed Demon

newman233 wrote:
Or stack 5 on a zerker and do insane mining dps to static bases?

Kanga

Sniper would still do more damage, not to mention that they scale up with range...

(Bluenoser) Put your finger in your mouth and gag reflex should do the rest

Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:56 pm

Well, sure? Zerkers barely EVER are used for combat versus bases these days, so I don't see why giving them a weapon that could actually do some significant damage would be TOO terrible of an idea.

At least then they'd have a marginal use. Right now they're used as a commodity, and that's about it.

landswimmer wrote:

Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:25 pm
Profile E-mail

Cygnus wrote:
Since they're not being used at all atm anyway, make them like some cool, harder to use version of thoraxes. Except for mining, and gunners.

Also, make them MF'able.

Two birds with one stone, and all that.

Or, better idea, leave them alone and make a new weapon that does this.

[s]I'd like some proof that you guys are males[/s]

might be a bad idea nvm

Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:08 am
Profile E-mail
over 9000!

Team: Pax Romana
Main: Ghost Commander
Level: 1138

If an item is not being used for what it was intended to eb used as, you've wasted code in making the item in the first place.

A weapon is SUPPOSED to be fired. However, they're used for builds, not firing?

Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:20 am

Battlecruiser23 wrote:
If an item is not being used for what it was intended to eb used as, you've wasted code in making the item in the first place.

Soo... lemme just use your logic against you

Any item that is not used for what it is intended for is a waste of coding? Well then, any item used in a build is not being used for what it was intended for, and thus, is a waste of coding.

Also, you managed to point out another flaw. Adding an item on a whim should not disrupt other game mechanics. Making it useful would possibly make it slightly more annoying to use in builds. Normally not a big problem. Except it's done on a whim.

There's no need to destroy all items in the game of a specific type and replace them with something else. You're also changing the stats of an item on a whim.(damage type)

Now, my response might have been different if the suggestion was to add another build to the game. It would be cool to have blueprints to upgrade random items, but I really doubt blackhole does mining damage. Physical at best if it was a big one. Energy makes sense considering what happens to small blackholes.

might be a bad idea nvm

Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:46 am
Profile E-mail

SkyTitan wrote:
Battlecruiser23 wrote:

Soo... lemme just use your logic against you

Any item that is not used for what it is intended for is a waste of coding? Well then, any item used in a build is not being used for what it was intended for, and thus, is a waste of coding.

Also, you managed to point out another flaw. Adding an item on a whim should not disrupt other game mechanics. Making it useful would possibly make it slightly more annoying to use in builds. Normally not a big problem. Except it's done on a whim.

There's no need to destroy all items in the game of a specific type and replace them with something else. You're also changing the stats of an item on a whim.(damage type)

Now, my response might have been different if the suggestion was to add another build to the game. It would be cool to have blueprints to upgrade random items, but I really doubt blackhole does mining damage. Physical at best if it was a big one. Energy makes sense considering what happens to small blackholes.

Blackhole generators were once physical damage, and nobody used them. Then they got changed to energy damage...and STILL nobody used them. At the very worst, this would change them to mining damage with 15 minutes of effort and people still wouldn't use them. At best, though, they would become a cool item that could be used for specialized circumstances, and isn't that the goal of most stuff?

landswimmer wrote:

Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:48 am
Profile E-mail
over 9000!

Team: Pax Romana
Main: Ghost Commander
Level: 1138

They do energy damage. But thats not the point. The point is that NOONE USES THEM AS WEAPONS.

Vazaha Blackhole Generator
Mzungu Blackhole Generator
Bule Blackhole Generator

These are the only three weapons that follow the same coding. No other weapons have damage scaled by range.(snipers by far have the greatest dps with them)

They have no tracking, an exact zero or so fucking low that 3 Ada Marksmen augs would not do much.

The DPE is great, and so is the DPS, but noone uses them because the target has to be big and stationary, and you must shoot from a distance.

Who the fuck has time to manually aim weapons from 3k out in a fight?

Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:02 am

Cygnus wrote:
Blackhole generators were once physical damage, and nobody used them. Then they got changed to energy damage...and STILL nobody used them. At the very worst, this would change them to mining damage with 15 minutes of effort and people still wouldn't use them. At best, though, they would become a cool item that could be used for specialized circumstances, and isn't that the goal of most stuff?

Well, when you put it that way it sounds much better.
*decided to look at wiki mining weapons*
Oh my... I would use these. 2:1 damage:energy, very nice. Average dps is top of the line. Uh... you sure you want show up t21 red photon gear?

tbh, I'd like them to be in the physical category again. They'd fit well in there and be better than anything without "zebra" or "swingarm" in the name.

(keep in mind doesn't have one) I'd like to see a version of these that could be multifired. Though, you have to question whether or not blackholes being multifired close to your hull is safe. I'd absolutely love it even more if they could be physical weapons that multifired and combined to a single projectile.

edit: didn't bother to read churchhill's post

might be a bad idea nvm

Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:10 am
Profile E-mail

Yeah, I thought that would be great too, but the problem is that giving snipers a physical weapon that does insane DPS and DPE and increases its damage based on range, doesn't seem like the wisest idea...>.<

That's why I thought gunner would be a good choice; gunners tend to fight large targets, making weapons with no tracking a little bit more practical on those terms, and they also tend to have decent range, though not as absurd as snipers. All in all, I feel that it would result in a weapon that is more balanced and fun overall.

landswimmer wrote:

Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:40 am
Profile E-mail

Yeah... damn snipers... So, they were changed to energy because no one used them, ironic, huh?

They would be great mining weapons, but, mining weapons all suck. The best is less than 350 dps. Compare with lion incinerators. Then also compare with energy, you can out do mining dps with a t7 energy weapon.
No doubt it would help gunners, but, the reason they'd rock would be because they're normally in a different category. When were they moved to energy anyways?

might be a bad idea nvm

Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:52 am
Profile E-mail

When Physical weapons were given knockback, I believe. They probably just couldn't figure out what to do with their knockback, so they switched damage types instead.

The thing about these weapons is that they're so hard to use that you'll most likely miss most of the time, or hit at closer range, reducing their DPS down to more sane levels, and the DPE as well.

landswimmer wrote:

Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:03 am
Profile E-mail

Cygnus wrote:
When Physical weapons were given knockback, I believe. They probably just couldn't figure out what to do with their knockback, so they switched damage types instead.

Let it be known that I support removal of physical knockback. Plus, it can't be that hard, some weapons had knockback before they made all the physical weapons that way.

I think it'd be a fairly decent physical weapon. Without tracking the whole increase of damage with range thing is pretty much irrelevant if you don't use autopilot to target for you. I would say that the projectile speed bonus shouldn't apply to it though. (can't test to see if already the case)

might be a bad idea nvm

Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:02 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: Dark Traders
Main: enkelin
Level: 3002
Class: Speed Demon

Not all physical weapons have knockback...

(Bluenoser) Put your finger in your mouth and gag reflex should do the rest

Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:04 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next