It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:39 pm

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Team: Dark Traders
Main: enkelin
Level: 3002
Class: Speed Demon

Post Re: Cross-classing
There are so many broken combinations that would arise from this. ShM-Engi, Zerk-Sniper, Seer-Sniper... there is a reason certain gear is class-locked. SD-Sniper for the Brutal Overloader alone would make current Sniper look weak.

Thermal's already done a commendable job healing as an Engineer; how do you think he'd do if he had ShM class skills as well?

Classes play a very different role in this game compared to AD&D. They give large percent bonuses to stats instead of just granting +/- N to armor, THAC0 (ability to hit), and HP. It just won't work.

(Bluenoser) Put your finger in your mouth and gag reflex should do the rest

Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:59 am

Team: Eminence Front
Main: __
Level: 2482
Class: Berserker

Why not set it so you can only have one class from each focus, but make the SP requirements continue to escalate? That would essentially prevent triple-classing, because the SP costs would expand ridiculously, while preventing people from getting absurd stats by being a full "Support" character or a full "Combat" character.

For example, a SD Sniper wouldn't work very well, nor would a Seer Sniper, because each shot has to be made while unseen, which would prevent constant damage, which would dramatically reduce DPS.

The reason I like this idea is because at high levels, levels cease to really be a factor. Sure, we can get Zen skills a little bit higher, but woah, that's like 10 levels for 40 extra shields, and it diminishes as you get higher and higher.

So yeah, No dual-focus skills(combat, combat)(Fleet, Fleet), but yes to non-dual-focus(Fleet, Support)(Fleet, Combat)

Some quick statistics:

To max one Focus, Class, Subskill-set: 5050 SP, or 1010 levels.

To max TWO Focus, Class, Subskill-set: 20100 SP, or 4020 levels.

See? You reach a point of diminishing returns. When combined with the increased teir-one skill costs, it becomes far more balanced than one would initially be led to believe. You would probably need to be around level 5000 to become a true dual-class monster, and while you'd certainly be far more powerful at that point, really...shouldn't you be? AI at that level are far more powerful than that, for example.

It would certainly entail a huge change in gameplay, but it would also allow for an unparalleled level of versatility, so long as the classes were fairly balanced. We could have TRUE seer-engineers, speedy zerkers, epic gunners...it COULD be amazing! It has the potential. And we have the technology.

landswimmer wrote:
ALL HAIL CYG THE MESSIAH!

Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:33 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: The Unforeseen Colonies
Main: Thermal
Level: 3024
Class: Engineer

I really hope there will be a bigger use for skill points later on some time, but I don't think giving the players the ability to combine classes through skills is the right way to go.

Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:03 pm

Team: Contingency
Main: Stabberz
Level: 2153
Class: Gunner

Arenanet did this for Guild Wars. They found it simply too hard to balance. Besides, the devs don't even have time to balance single classes like Gunner.

/notsigned

Last edited by Griffin on Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:27 pm

Team: Strawberry Pancakes
Main: Skyfyre
Level: 2483

anilv wrote:
There are so many broken combinations that would arise from this. ShM-Engi, Zerk-Sniper, Seer-Sniper... there is a reason certain gear is class-locked. SD-Sniper for the Brutal Overloader alone would make current Sniper look weak.

Thermal's already done a commendable job healing as an Engineer; how do you think he'd do if he had ShM class skills as well?

Classes play a very different role in this game compared to AD&D. They give large percent bonuses to stats instead of just granting +/- N to armor, THAC0 (ability to hit), and HP. It just won't work.

Those class bonuses are only huge because you have 21 in each class skill level. If you limit the level you can master by being dual classed, say by limiting someone to *ten* in each of their class skills instead of 20, you have a much more balanced setup. You also pay the price of not being able to use class restricted gear that requires a certain level. For example, a speed demon/zerker couldn't use a brutal overloader or an art of destruction aug because they are dual classed.

That's how dual classes worked in AD&D if you recall. You could be a fighter and a mage that was level 6 fighter, level 4 mage, but your friend with the same ammount of exp would be either a level 12 fighter or a level 8 mage. So you were weaker in each area, but had a selection of skills, at lower level, from both classes.

Since leveling/exp is capped extremely high in this game, but class skills are capped very low, you should probably cap class skills for dual classed characters to 10 for each class. It would only be insanity if you were allowed to get 21 of multiple classes at the same time.

Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:00 pm

skyfyre wrote:
anilv wrote:

Those class bonuses are only huge because you have 21 in each class skill level. If you limit the level you can master by being dual classed, say by limiting someone to *ten* in each of their class skills instead of 20, you have a much more balanced setup. You also pay the price of not being able to use class restricted gear that requires a certain level. For example, a speed demon/zerker couldn't use a brutal overloader or an art of destruction aug because they are dual classed.

That's how dual classes worked in AD&D if you recall. You could be a fighter and a mage that was level 6 fighter, level 4 mage, but your friend with the same ammount of exp would be either a level 12 fighter or a level 8 mage. So you were weaker in each area, but had a selection of skills, at lower level, from both classes.

Since leveling/exp is capped extremely high in this game, but class skills are capped very low, you should probably cap class skills for dual classed characters to 10 for each class. It would only be insanity if you were allowed to get 21 of multiple classes at the same time.

Again, if you read what I posted, only about 5 players in the game would be able to fully cross-class. Really, getting to level 2000 is quite the achievement, and at that point you could only have maybe 3-4 levels in another class.

landswimmer wrote:

Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:40 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: Dark Traders
Main: enkelin
Level: 3002

By simply scrapping my Lagrange control skills, I could have 15+ in another class and all subskills right now. Trust me, it's no feat to get a character to level 2600.

(Bluenoser) Put your finger in your mouth and gag reflex should do the rest

Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:50 pm

Team: Resident Evil
Main: Time Warp
Level: 3162
Class: Shield Monkey

anilv wrote:
By simply scrapping my Lagrange control skills, I could have 15+ in another class and all subskills right now. Trust me, it's no feat to get a character to level 2600.

I stll think this idea is stupid. However, that was one of my original thoughts that it should be lockd to 3000+, or require HUGE amounts of skill points.

There needs to be more emphasis placed on levels. Shm xp needs to be nerfed, (NOT REMOVED).

Timmeh

~Oscar Wilde

andezrhode2a wrote:
Timmeh is the exception to every rule.
Battlecruiser23 wrote:
/Timmeh!
I mean /signed!
sabre198 wrote:
1. Create C2
2. Time Warp quits
3. New players join
4. ... Profit?!?

Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:05 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: Heaven
Main: Paxx
Level: 2918

Not necessarily, my sniper gains level much faster than my shm, by far. :P

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/2103/mutes.jpg

playerboy345 wrote:
Hai

Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:09 pm
Profile E-mail

paxiprime wrote:

That's because:

A) Your sniper is a lower level than me.
B) I don't level.
C) I don't play anymore....

Did you have to practice being stupid before you came this good?

Timmeh

~Oscar Wilde

andezrhode2a wrote:
Battlecruiser23 wrote:
/Timmeh!
I mean /signed!
sabre198 wrote:
1. Create C2
2. Time Warp quits
3. New players join
4. ... Profit?!?

Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:39 pm
Profile E-mail

Mail wrote:
paxiprime wrote:

That's because:

B) I don't level.

Timmeh

C'mon, be nice, TW.

landswimmer wrote:

Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:03 am
Profile E-mail

Team: Heaven
Main: Paxx
Level: 2918

Mail wrote:

That's because:

B) I don't level.

Timmeh

I like how all your arguments end in calling someone else stupid. And btw, your "points" have nothing to do with the fact that when your leveling aka "DGing" the person that is actually killing the ai gets more exp than the shm healing it. Also my sniper being a lower level than your shm has nothing to do with it.

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/2103/mutes.jpg

playerboy345 wrote:
Hai

Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:15 am
Profile E-mail

paxiprime wrote:
Mail wrote:

That's because:

B) I don't level.

Timmeh

I like how all your arguments end in calling someone else stupid. And btw, your "points" have nothing to do with the fact that when your leveling aka "DGing" the person that is actually killing the ai gets more exp than the shm healing it. Also my sniper being a lower level than your shm has nothing to do with it.

You REALLY are stupid. If you're a lower level than me YOU GET MORE EXPERIENCE if we're killing the same level AI. So, OFCOURSE you level faster than me, frick.

Also, my Shm gets more Exp. than my beserker. You're just silly.

Timmeh

~Oscar Wilde

andezrhode2a wrote:
Battlecruiser23 wrote:
/Timmeh!
I mean /signed!
sabre198 wrote:
1. Create C2
2. Time Warp quits
3. New players join
4. ... Profit?!?

Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:17 am
Profile E-mail

Team: The Forgotten Colonies
Main: PM Me If You Suck
Level: 1996
Class: Gunner

The idea was to achieve two main things:

1. Extra stuff that actually would have a big benifit for high level players to spend their sp on.
2. To make a more noticable difference between lvl 2k and 3k.

I agree completely with limiting the subskill to tech 10. I also think it would make for some interesting new gear and augs that require certain levels in each class to use (not sure what exactly but it would be interesting to see what devs and people could come up with)

Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:29 am

Team: The Unforeseen Colonies
Main: Thermal
Level: 3024
Class: Engineer

I agree that the differences between a level 1500 and a level 3000 can be minor, and I guess a topic should be made to discuss this further.

Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:10 am
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next