It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 9:26 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 

Team: Traders
Main: Bonecrusher
Level: 2144
Class: Shield Monkey

Post Allow users to turn OFF some graphic "features"
Allow users to turn OFF some graphic "features" to improve their SS gaming experience.

1) Foreground star fields. They are a distraction that just slows the game down.

2) Clouds surrounding stars. Very bad for SS. Very hard on the eyes.

3) Most of the Nebulae in DGs. Again very hard on the eyes. They are either too bright or way too dark.

4) The "random" exploding flares. They do nothing for the game, are a distraction and due to their brightness add to eye strain.

5) Speed bumps around stars and planets. Tracking gets all messed up making it very hard to scoop loot. (Also if you're going to have speed bumps around stars the stars shouldn't cause any damage... the player's ship is going around the star and not thru it.)

6) Bright White Flares when shooting beam weapons. They do nothing for the game and add to eye strain.

In all someone got very cutesy with the graphics and didn't think what these things would do to the overall SS experience.

Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:27 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: Eminence Front
Main: __
Level: 2482
Class: Berserker

Post Re: Allow users to turn OFF some graphic "features"
Agree with everything except the planets thing. Thats a gameplay feature, and just because you don't like it doesn't mean it should go away.

landswimmer wrote:
ALL HAIL CYG THE MESSIAH!

Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:00 pm
Profile E-mail

Cygnus wrote:
Agree with everything except the planets thing. Thats a gameplay feature, and just because you don't like it doesn't mean it should go away.

Didn't say it should go away... just give the player the OPTION of making it go away.

Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:02 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: Strawberry Pancakes
Main: Biggee
Level: 2163
Class: Engineer

Bonecrusher wrote:
Cygnus wrote:

Didn't say it should go away... just give the player the OPTION of making it go away.

.... That would give some players an advantage over others. Also, not possible with current mechanics; it's pretty much hard-coded and you would be in a different place if it was off rather than on according to the server, but not other players. So definitely no.

anilv wrote:
Try again when you have a doctorate in mathematics, grasshopper. I'll be pulling rank until then.

Bonecrusher wrote:
I'm a professional whiner.

Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:30 pm
Profile E-mail YIM

Main: Radia
Level: 1101
Class: Speed Demon

I say yes to all of this, I just like to have more options.

As for the speed bumps, it may be difficult, but it is basically forced de-sync. All players get the same effect, but some will just see their ship pass through the planet instead of over it. They would both be the same as far as the server is concerned.

No Context. Ever.
Idaten.

Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:39 pm
Profile WWW

biggee531 wrote:
Bonecrusher wrote:
Cygnus wrote:

.... That would give some players an advantage over others.

You, of course, are talking about the advantage of being able to see after playing SS for an hour or so. Makes driving soooo much easier when you don't need a seeing eye dog to help you steer.

Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:42 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: Strawberry Pancakes
Main: Biggee
Level: 2163
Class: Engineer

Visorak wrote:
I say yes to all of this, I just like to have more options.

As for the speed bumps, it may be difficult, but it is basically forced de-sync. All players get the same effect, but some will just see their ship pass through the planet instead of over it. They would both be the same as far as the server is concerned.

It would look way worse going through the planet. If you had a small ship, you could technically hide inside the planet, which looks ridiculous and is less practical.

The reason it wouldn't work is because planets/suns etc. are on the same field of play as the players; you can't just not bump over it. All the astral bodies would have to be dropped down below the playable axis, which defeats the point of using them for cover.

anilv wrote:
Try again when you have a doctorate in mathematics, grasshopper. I'll be pulling rank until then.

Bonecrusher wrote:
I'm a professional whiner.

Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:57 pm
Profile E-mail YIM

Main: Radia
Level: 1101
Class: Speed Demon

I see your point but still. I don't let my knowledge of real life physics hamper my imagination. Or reality in general.

Turn off speed bump, lower the astral bodies below the field of play, and make bullets stop at the infinite z-axis edges. It would only make sense from a top-down view, but I don't care. It's awesome. 8)

No Context. Ever.
Idaten.

Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:40 pm
Profile WWW
over 9000!

Team: Pax Romana
Main: Ghost Commander
Level: 1138
Class: Berserker

Visorak wrote:
It would only make sense from a top-down view, but I don't care. It's awesome. 8)

This.

SS was the only game with a top down view that also had a growing (potential) playerbase.

Now, it's in the same genre view and movement wise as Armada Online, and DarkSpace. AO is a space version of LoL, but as a MMO. LoL has 32m players. Guess whats going to happen when AO finally releases...

But, alas. I like C2.

Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:03 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]