It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:10 pm

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Team: Traders
Main: Shadowfiend
Level: 1060
Class: Gunner

Post Character Deletion...Make it happen!
Char deletion from char slect screen...
we need it!
its a 5 step process
1. select char u want deleted
2. enter password and recapture
3. email is sent to ur email address with a link to a page in ss webite to further verify
4. enter email, account login and password
5. email is sent to ur address again saying u need to wait 3 days for character "character name" to be deleted and another link to cancel character deletion with only a password entry.

*no password can be saved on these prompts.

*an hour before deletion occurs u cannot login to character but u still can cancel the delete via the email sent or loggin into your account on website and cancelling from account info.

*in account info a timer is shown next to the character telling you how long left until deletion.

if u have any more anti-hacker suggestion for this method state below and /sign if you agree with this suggestion!

tell me what you think of this idea wether good or bad (tell me a better option if its bad or dont f'ing bother)!

Last edited by Nathanpq8 on Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:29 am
Profile E-mail
Darth Administrator

Team: Admins
Main: The Voomy One
Level: 1337
Class: Sniper

Post Re: Why has it never been implemented?
It's never been implemented because there is no need for the feature and because it can be used to sabotage a account.

Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:42 am

Team: Dark Traders
Main: Aredes
Level: 2142
Class: Shield Monkey

Nathanpq8 wrote:
Char deletion from char slect screen...
we need it!
its a 5 step process
1. select char u want deleted
2. enter password and recapture
3. email is sent to ur email address with a link to a page in ss webite to further verify
4. enter email, account login and password
5. email is sent to ur address again saying u need to wait 3 days for character "character name" to be deleted and another link to cancel character deletion with only a password entry.

I think it's a dated concept that we don't have basic functions on our accounts either, which reasons like 'hackers' being the driving force for characters being deleted. Bullshit.
('Hackers' the majority of time in this game refers to people who share their passwords to untrustworthy players)

Since an email isn't required to make an account, and the whole confirmation link system you proposed simply looks silly/tacky from a UI perspective. I propose this modified process:

=============
1) Select Character
2) Press 'Delete' button
3) Type a confirmation password.

IF Delete
*72 Hour Timer starts, and character is grey'd out on Character Select screen.
4) When Timer is up, the character slot will be deleted, and you'll be able to make a new character again.

IF UnDelete
*At any time during the deletion process
4) Select character
5) Press 'Undelete' (formerly the 'Delete' button)
6) Type a confirmation password.
=================

All characters are kept in the database for X days (60? More?) in case someone was away from game for more than 3 days and didn't notice the account being compromised.

The Voomy One wrote:
It's never been implemented because there is no need for the feature and because it can be used to sabotage a account.

I refuse to accept this as an answer.

Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:43 am
Profile E-mail

Team: Contingency
Main: Stabberz
Level: 2153

^I like this.^

Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:13 pm

Team: Eminence Front
Main: Eurus
Level: 2330

Post Re: Character Deletion...Make it happen!
I don't really understand why you'd want to delete a character. Either you want to repeat one time missions (which is a good reason for characters being permanent) or you hate the name... which can be changed (at a cost, admittedly).

I suppose it's possible that someone may have royally screwed their first character (skills etc) but a core skill reset (etc) sounds like a less troublesome way to remedy the situation.

I'd only support character deletion if the character in question is less than X (say 2) days old... possibly also requiring any one-time mission items that have been obtained.

Last edited by The Salty One on Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:21 pm
Profile E-mail
Darth Administrator

Well it's a answer no matter how much you refuse.

There is no reason to delete a char so there is no reason for the feature to do so.
The amount of programming involved in adding this feature would be pretty massive, and for no gain at all.

It's also a fact that people share accounts, anyone with access to the account can delete all your chars with everything on them.

It's not just about the char either, it's everything owned by the char. If a char is deleted all objects owned by that char also has to be deleted too, such as bases.

There is no possible way to keep all that information in any kind of database so that it can be restored.
We could possible store the char information such as levels and skills but not items or things like bases.

Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:22 pm

thx urzaserra 4 bringing this to my attention.
1 time missions woul be locked to the amount of chars allowed on an acct, which means u can only do it 5-6 times no matter how many chars u make.

also voom is character deletion possible at all??? like thru ticket or something?

Make it impossible for charc to be deleted if and drone,slave or base slots are used up, just give it random error we cant understand :P

I would also like to point out that i dont want to make 5 accounts and sub em all just because of names i dont like and crappy skill point acollation for core skills.:)

Last edited by Nathanpq8 on Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:26 pm
Profile E-mail

Main: Aredes
Level: 2142

The Salty One wrote:
I don't really understand why you'd want to delete a character. Either you want to repeat one time missions (which is a good reason for characters being permanent) or you hate the name... which can be changed (at a cost, admittedly).

Besides the increased SP and ability for new players to dig themselves in a SP hole, our community is vicious and full of assholes, as reputation means a lot in this game. If you're say, Deathreus, you'll never find peace in this game again because of that fact. There's plenty of people simply wanting a new face or name in the game, be it for scamming (something that will be nil once the player trade interface is working), or whatever, there's always a need for deleting a character.

True that core resets would be a variant to help fix a lot of problems too, though. =O

Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:29 pm
Profile E-mail

Instead of character deletion you could have free name resets and core skill resets. That option is as good as a delete and it means its much easier for you to implement ( i would think)!

Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:32 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: Matrix
Main: Asmodeaan
Level: 282
Class: Berserker

here are the alts on my shm account that i recieved a few years ago.

HI GQ
I AM NOT GQ.

here are the alts on my engineer

$Guitar$ Hero$ !Sino!
GUITAR HERO SINO
Sino2
sir sino of fire

and the alts on my main

Beelze
grawr
(-.-)

do i want to pay 180$ just to rename these characters? 5 of them were fucked over at low level and are unable to do anything due to lack of cash and ships. sure i can transfer credits to them but that's not the point. I'd much rather have them all deleted as they are useless as is due to past mistakes.

Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:38 pm

Team: UnderDawgs
Main: FFs V
Level: 3006

@Voomy, give us the ability to reset all of the skills that stops us from getting skills, like the ancient lore skills.

The Voomy One wrote:
You gotta be shitting me >_<

Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:39 pm
Profile E-mail

Main: enkelin
Level: 3002
Class: Speed Demon

VatFF wrote:
@Voomy, give us the ability to reset all of the skills that stops us from getting skills, like the ancient lore skills.

That would truly be helpful.

(Bluenoser) Put your finger in your mouth and gag reflex should do the rest

Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:40 pm

This is a definate NO.

It will be used for sabotage easily with permanent consequences.

I believe you can already purchase name changes from the admins and if we had anything close to a char reset then that should be a paid-for service also.

Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:27 pm
Darth Administrator

Quote:
also voom is character deletion possible at all??? like thru ticket or something?

No it is not. Deleting a char can cause some pretty serious errors.

Quote:
Instead of character deletion you could have free name resets.

Not going to happen. Name changes are bad since people can use them to get away with scamming, sabotage and other similar things.

Quote:
core skill resets

That is something that could be considered if you get to keep your levels but it would only be helpful at the very start of the game.

Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:32 pm

if we get at least 1 thing to help out our extremely screwed up and unlevelable alts it would help alot. :mrgreen:

Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:35 pm
Profile E-mail
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next