It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:11 pm

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Team: Traders
Main: Shadowfiend
Level: 1060
Class: Gunner

Post New Graphic option for C2
since C1 is being shutdown and were moving to C2 a lot of people have been whining and saying they will quit when we move to C2. A main reason for why they are going to do this i found is that they liked the old graphics better.
So i was thinking why not have the option to choose 2D graphics in SS2?
The 2D option would use the old SS1 2D images but keep the SS2 GUI and game-play (not sure if that the right word to use but i mean that everything will be the same with 2D graphics as it would be if u used 3D and all players can still see each other etc...)

Im not sure if this is possible or even plausible but it would keep the whiners happy!
I'm not a whiner mind you i love SS2 XD
Let me know what you guys think :) !

Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:11 am
Profile E-mail

Team: Red Faction
Main: DHM
Level: 2754
Class: Engineer

Post Re: New Graphic option for C2
in SS2, press PG up and PG down

Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:38 am
Profile E-mail

Team: Dark Traders
Main: Aredes
Level: 2142
Class: Shield Monkey

In my talks with a lot of people, it turns out this isn't so much their distaste for the graphics, but the ships bases, and projectiles/lasers.

I personally feel that ship modules are of lower than acceptable quality, in the fact that they all feel cartoony/flat (in most cases, they are flat! lol) to me. While I understand some of them are simply place holders, and sadly I'm not artistic enough, it would go a long ways to add a splash of pseudo-realism to the game, to SCI-FI it up, if you will.

The players want eye candy! lol.

Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:50 am
Profile E-mail
Dev Team

Team: None
Main: Quetzalcoatl
Level: 0
Class: None

Not worth implementing anything like that. Also hyper real models don't do you much good if you play with them being 64x64. It is about balancing performance and visuals as well. You can have 100k poly ships with 4k textures, but if more than a few warp into a gal the game slows to 0.4fps. Already people are seeing that the memory for textures is quite large. Also the flat stuff is silly as allot of ships are based on a central cylinder of sorts and just making it taller doesn't sort a thing. The only place where the flatness really is quite odd looking is on stuff like levis. Adding jutting fins on every ship as well doesn't fix anything and just ends up looking bad. And be specific about which ship you think is flat, it doesn't help being general.

Player base graphic is to be replaced.

And believe it or not some ships are intended to be flat. Also tall ships are near impossible to pilot properly, worse than any heavy banking ship to find out where your going. Asymmetric ships are also quite hard to fly, but not as much as tall ones.

*also suggesting "better ships" isn't that helpful, yeah I can sort a problem area, but if some people actually submitted some quality work then it would be allot easier then just me going at all of them.

Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:15 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: Strawberry Pancakes
Main: playerboy345
Level: 2035
Class: Berserker

reaver is supposed to be flat?

The Voomy One wrote:
Quote:
Runescape, Allows you to change your name every 30 days.

Runescape sucks so it doesnt count :P

Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:24 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: Traders
Main: Shadowfiend
Level: 1060
Class: Gunner

Congratz feathers! i am officialy extremely bloody confused lol!

Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:42 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: Eminence Front
Main: __
Level: 2482

Some ships seem a bit too round to me as well. I dont feel wingships should be so cylindrical, for example.

landswimmer wrote:
ALL HAIL CYG THE MESSIAH!

Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:04 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: None
Main: Pure Evil
Level: 2837
Class: Shield Monkey

Push all the AI bases & Drones more below the players Z axis, I damn hate that model conflict horribleness crap.

If you must keep that model conflict crap, allow rocks to go slightly above the player z axis and below. Would make a nice ring and embrace the "3dness" much more.

Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:06 pm
Profile E-mail

Main: Turbinia
Level: 3112
Class: Speed Demon

Well I would like if ai bases did not bounce over objects and players bounced over them like they do planets and stars. Very annoying not to see ships sitting on bases or know where you are pointing. Player bases probably need to bounce over stuff though.

Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:14 am
over 9000!

Team: Pax Romana
Main: Ghost Commander
Level: 1138

Imo, the change from C1 to C2 models really drummed down the quality of the models. Both getting more models and what models already exist.

By having to make them "3d", the amount of players(not devs) that can make them has been, as far as I saw, been drastically reduced. I believe Biggee is the only one that still plays, and would do them, that isn't a dev.

Before, we had 20 or so people that could make graphics. Quality enough to be added to game.

For a game where a max of two of the dev team is actually paid professionals, I'd imagine you'd want All the help you guys can get.

Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:44 am
Dev Team

Battlecruiser23 wrote:
Imo, the change from C1 to C2 models really drummed down the quality of the models. Both getting more models and what models already exist.

By having to make them "3d", the amount of players(not devs) that can make them has been, as far as I saw, been drastically reduced. I believe Biggee is the only one that still plays, and would do them, that isn't a dev.

Before, we had 20 or so people that could make graphics. Quality enough to be added to game.

For a game where a max of two of the dev team is actually paid professionals, I'd imagine you'd want All the help you guys can get.

It isn't that hard to learn basic modelling if someone wanted to. But even if they have 2d skills they can still work with texture files if they want to help in that area.

Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:52 pm
Profile E-mail

Main: Biggee
Level: 2163
Class: Engineer

Precursor wrote:
It isn't that hard to learn basic modelling if someone wanted to. But even if they have 2d skills they can still work with texture files if they want to help in that area.

True story. I've never taken a formal class for anything i've created. I'm just now starting school for 3d game art, everything prior was self-taught.

anilv wrote:
Try again when you have a doctorate in mathematics, grasshopper. I'll be pulling rank until then.

Bonecrusher wrote:
I'm a professional whiner.

Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:58 pm
Profile E-mail YIM

Team: Dark Traders
Main: enkelin
Level: 3002
Class: Speed Demon

Trouser23 wrote:
Well I would like if ai bases did not bounce over objects and players bounced over them like they do planets and stars. Very annoying not to see ships sitting on bases or know where you are pointing. Player bases probably need to bounce over stuff though.

Yet another issue I raised several weeks ago.

(Bluenoser) Put your finger in your mouth and gag reflex should do the rest

Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:12 pm

Team: Resident Evil
Main: Johnston V2
Level: 2324
Class: Fleet Commander

I won't be able to continue playing SS after C2 because I do not have a computer that can keep up with the graphics (at lowest settings) without getting under 2 FPS.

Last edited by cej1120con
on January 1st, 1337, 6:66 am, edited over 9000 times in total.

Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:02 pm
Profile E-mail

Main: Dark Phantom
Level: 2387

The backgrounds used in SS2 completely destroy my eyes. When i fly a wattage, i can't even see the front half of it. I would really like to see my ship so i can dodge :S

Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:16 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next