It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:56 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Team: UnderDawgs
Main: DitkA
Level: 2548
Class: Shield Monkey

Post Re: Delta Universe.
Well Demiser, then here is what you do. Have a seperate universe that will never be attached to this or any other universe. Then only allow transfers from new universes to old ones and after a while allow free transfer to any universe when they mature enough. Only add new universes if the player base increases to add room for new players after that.

Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:41 pm
Profile E-mail

Team: None
Main: Demiser of D
Level: 20
Class: None

Again, if leveling up at low levels is so hard that you cannot do it without help from higher level players, then there is a serious gameplay issue. Of course a year isn't long enough for a new player to reach the same level as current players, but that's not the point. The point is to create a new player dynamic.

For example, look at Beta; it has a lot of very cool things happening in the economy and among the players...but these things are tainted, because the players always have an idea in the back of their minds of where they SHOULD be, as compared to what they are. New players face extremely frustrating situations where places they want to build are taken, extremely common items are not for sale simply because it's not worth the time of the typical level 2000+ player, and even though the information is present, players will not give it simply because it's too much effort, or they're too bored.

For example, with a little stretch, let's compare this to the game Oblivion. When it was first released, people played it, and every thing they found was potentially cool and new. Nobody knew what was around the next corner, and there were no wiki's about it, so people went out and actually explored, and made up their own ideas and rules.

Nowadays, however, both SS and Oblivion have been out for long enough that the typical ingenuity is very much gone, because you're easily able to find anything that you want to with a quick google search. If you CAN'T find it, you tend to assume that someone else has tried it and just didn't bother to post about it because they're bored.

The same thing takes place in SS. The older players are hurting the younger players, simply by existing.

This problem doesn't exist in a lot of games because much of the area that the younger players use is not used be the older players. Runescape, as much as i hate to say it, does it fairly well; their older players play somewhere different from the new players. A few years back when i first started playing, i would very rarely see older players anywhere in the first 20 levels, let alone talk to them.

The Chat system in SS only serves to extenuate this problem. Everyone can talk to everyone. If you PC a lot of lower tech items, many older players will reply "Worthless", when a newer player wouldn't know that, and to them it might NOT be worthless. Many lower tech ruins are ignored and never extracted from, because the higher level player that owns them has no use for them and it isn't worth his time to extract them. Literally tens of thousands of blueprints are in storage by older players, but dont expect them to dig them up the next time someone offers 200 mil for them...'cause heck, that's only 2 GG20, that aint worth shit.

tl;dr, and finally; The presence of a large base of extremely high leveled and large income producing players unbalances the game in a way that is unhealthy and might cause extreme problems for SS down the road. THAT is what I'm attempting to prevent.

Battlecruiser23 wrote:
Fuck you, Cygnus.

Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:43 pm

Team: Strawberry Pancakes
Main: shawn - mccall
Level: 2411
Class: Fleet Commander

Yeah guys, he's right. People won't want to play SS if there are already established endgame players. I mean, look at WoW.... Oh shit, wait a second... You mean WoW has an established endgame and is still growing successfully? Well hmmm....

Personally, I vote no. I like low level players, and trivial segregation is dumb.

andezrhode wrote:
goett wrote:
All oly ships look way to geometrically conservative for my tastes.

thats because most graphic designers are squares :mrgreen:

goett wrote:
Fired bullets taste like candy.

Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:39 am
Profile E-mail

Main: Biggee
Level: 2163
Class: Engineer

shawn_mccall wrote:
Yeah guys, he's right. People won't want to play SS if there are already established endgame players. I mean, look at WoW.... Oh shit, wait a second... You mean WoW has an established endgame and is still growing successfully? Well hmmm....

Personally, I vote no. I like low level players, and trivial segregation is dumb.

Difference in WoW and a lot of games is you can't reuse gear like you can in SS. Souldbound shiz.

anilv wrote:
Try again when you have a doctorate in mathematics, grasshopper. I'll be pulling rank until then.

Bonecrusher wrote:
I'm a professional whiner.

Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:42 am
Profile E-mail YIM

Makes no difference though, the auction house makes twinking alts in WoW far simpler than powerleveling alts in SS. It provides absolute availability for everything within the market you could ever need making money in WoW equal to, if not greater than, the effect gear has in SS currently.

andezrhode wrote:
goett wrote:

goett wrote:

Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:56 am
Profile E-mail

Team: None
Main: Demiser of D
Level: 20
Class: None

You of all people should know that WoW is very different from SS. Everything in SS focuses towards a single community, from the chats to the way the universe is layed out. Without some sort of change or divine intervention, there are going to be problems, and they will be hard to solve. I simply thought that this could solve many of those problems in one somewhat simple step.

Battlecruiser23 wrote:
Fuck you, Cygnus.

Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:45 am

Demiser of D wrote:
You of all people should know that WoW is very different from SS. Everything in SS focuses towards a single community, from the chats to the way the universe is layed out. Without some sort of change or divine intervention, there are going to be problems, and they will be hard to solve. I simply thought that this could solve many of those problems in one somewhat simple step.

Wrong. SS is an out and out WoW clone, just with a community that is still small enough to pretend they are grossly different. WoW went through everything SS is, and will be, going through. They made it through all those hitches without level segregation. The only place where they differ is how you build and draw off of the environment, and WoW's system for that is arguably similar still. Also, with the new Uni layout disallowing hard blockades on content we might as well change the name of SS to WoW In Space.

Honestly, for the reason you said WoW and SS are nothing alike, I am led to believe you have never actually played it...

andezrhode wrote:
goett wrote:

goett wrote:

Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:26 am
Profile E-mail

Team: UnderDawgs
Main: DitkA
Level: 2548

Shawn is generally right in my opinion. The only reason it seems like a single community is because there is very few people. Small town where everyone knows one another. We don't need player segregation. Don't try to fix something that isn't broken. With an influx of players many things will be solved. A good solution for many teams will be to create a second team like SP and prepare for the influx of players and take them under their wing as an investment.

The point of this thread is null. It should be the new players talking about this not the old players. No need to seperate the players, it will only make it harder for them to learn. They need to be with the old players so the old players can help them and teach them.

Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:11 am
Profile E-mail

Team: Resident Evil
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 4129

demiser wont your problem be solved by lots of midgame players (who would be bothered to pc and trade these items). Maybe the tarpitting will keep players in the midgame for longer.

landswimmer wrote:
IN C1, TIMEWARP SCREWS YOU!

Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:30 am
Profile E-mail YIM WWW
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3