It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:16 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Dev Team

Team: None
Main: Quetzalcoatl
Level: 0
Class: None

Post Re: Lighting
Hmm the being colored by the gal may be the suns but i suspect it is more to do with the alpha associated with the particles, meaning the background bleeding through. Not much could be done if that is the case. If it is the sun thing hopefully that can be disabled so you can identify shots, I noticed at time it was hard to tell my shots from ais because of some coloring so i know what your on about.

As for the lighting thing, there used to be more ambient I think, or different shader that made it look that way. Things where brighter, but much cartoonier in a bad way. It looks brilliant as is, and hopefully with a bit of play time in c2 it becomes a non issue because really wouldn't want to change it now that it is looking nice.

*I think there is/was a plan to reduce the amount of color a sun gives to things, not sure in what stage of doing it is atm though. That could solve the whole issue.

Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:41 pm
Profile E-mail
Darth Administrator

Team: Admins
Main: The Voomy One
Level: 1337
Class: Sniper

I havent noticed any problems with lighting at all, I've never had any problems seeing any ship, not even a little.

I dont think it would look good to make them any brighter but I guess if we could make it a option for the player to do it then that's all good.

Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:43 am

Team: Strawberry Pancakes
Main: Biggee
Level: 2163
Class: Engineer

It depends on the model as well... Obviously ship models are different sizes, and when zoomed out all the way on a 1024x768 resolution, i can imagine it's difficult to always manage your bearings in a small ship due to the large amount of Z axis cloud cover that is in dg's etc.

* Also, the lighting from weapons should have more... diminishing propeties per se. As in, the initial brightness should be more intense, but a bullet should still cast it's light as it travels away from your ship. The way it is now is like an on/off switch with weapon lighting.

anilv wrote:
Try again when you have a doctorate in mathematics, grasshopper. I'll be pulling rank until then.

Bonecrusher wrote:
I'm a professional whiner.

Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:47 am
Profile E-mail YIM
Darth Administrator

Team: Admins
Main: The Voomy One
Level: 1337
Class: Sniper

That can easily be countered by not zooming out all the way :P

Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:51 am

Team: Eminence Front
Main: Myrtok
Level: 1620
Class: Speed Demon

The Voomy One wrote:
That can easily be countered by not zooming out all the way :P

Heh. Once I'm in a big honkin capship again I'll be begging you to increase the maximum zoom out! It's nice to be able to see at least the full range of your projectiles / missiles, and for now it's really nice to have a little extra warning about that swarm of voltages I'm about to kite backwards into with my little wingship.

Anyhow, if you give players an option of graphics that look cartoony and a zoom that goes so far out their ship looks like a spec, they will take it over beautiful graphics every time. Just look how many players always played with the particles off in C1. I know you guys worked very hard on graphics, but players are always going to choose gameplay and any edge they can get over the eye candy.

HAL wrote:
You are greedy and ignorant, you can't have everything in life for free.

Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:39 am
Dev Team

Team: None
Main: Quetzalcoatl
Level: 0
Class: None

Max zoom is a bit further than c1 zoom, I think 2 clicks in is c1 size.

Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:21 am
Profile E-mail
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2